Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #1

What does SMB build their cabinets out of now?

What material is SMB building their interior cabinets out of now? Interested in both the gray and the wood-grain versions. I've been thinking of rebuilding some of my particleboard (oak-grained) cabinets in my van.

I tried a variety of search terms, but no luck. I know I've seen this talked about on the forums but can't remember where.

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:57 PM   #2

Re: What does SMB build their cabinets out of now?

I'm interested too, have been looking into wood laminating mine as I really like the cherry oak look.
Anyone also knows where one can buy the rubber piece they add to the perimeters
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
I'm interested too, have been looking into wood laminating mine as I really like the cherry oak look.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-FT-3-4-INCH- ... 3a9dc8d64f

You'll need more than you think. I think I used over 100' in my cabinet rebuild.

You'll also need one of these to route the groove on the edges.

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-63-100-16-I ... olding+bit

This stuff is really fun to work with. Don't be intimidated. If you have a router you can make some great looking cabinets!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick

Nick: The edge stuff is called edge banding or T-Molding, and is available all over the place including Rockler.

http://www.rockler.com/plastic-t-moldin ... x-100-long

Since you are local, the place to go is Austin Hardwoods in Santa Ana. There is also a Rockler store on either Tustin ave or Newport Ave in Orange.

If you are serious about a cabinet reface, I'd be happy to show you how to do it, it's cake.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:04 PM   #5

Thanks, I'm picking up my Alum roof rack and ladder tomorrow and really want to take a break and ride my bikes for a few months before I start Another SMB project.

Boywonder, let me know when you get a chance to tacke the heater, I like to scope your good work!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:50 AM   #6

Back to the original question: any idea what the sheet goods are? I recall it being some sort of brand name.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #7

Boywonder,
It would be highly appreciated here on the forum to do a writeup on resurfacing the Melamine.
It just doesn't hold up like Laminates.

Paul
Old 02-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbonesclimber
Boywonder,
It would be highly appreciated here on the forum to do a writeup on resurfacing the Melamine.
It just doesn't hold up like Laminates.

Paul

Well, I'm scratch-building my cabinets from baltic birch and covering them in boat decking, but just for fun I could resurface a fake melamine door to show how it's done........I do not have any edge banding or laminate nor am I using any in my build though......

Perhaps we can get Nick to donate a cabinet door (just to use as a pattern-I promise no doors will be harmed in this exercise) so that I can "clone" it in some other finish.......resurfacing the existing cabinetry is easier than duplicating since the groove for the T mold is already there, although it shouldn't be a problem as I've duplicated the table in my neighbor's sprinter RV in baltic birch with laminate and T molding. The stock particle board had a swelling problem.....

If someone is willing to procure the laminate and T mold I'm in for a tutorial.....
2003 Honda Element
Old 02-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #9

Chalk me up as another one super interested in this. I have been considering the real wood PSA re-facing material for my cabinets (although they warn that you have to do extensive sanding/prepping to make PSA stick to melamine). This would be along with some complete replacement of certain pieces (water damaged along bottom) with new plywood. (So re-facing the good cabinets, and replacing a few sections with a matching new plywood.)

I also considered just gluing on 1/8" plywood, but if the PSA stuff works, how handy that you can trim it with a utility knife (they say), and it would add very little weight and no bulk.

Anyway, I'm certainly all ears - this would be GREAT info. It's one of those things that if you've never done it.... super intimidating. Especially without a big shop at one's disposal.

Viva
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #10

Viva et al.....

I used to laminate stuff with 1/8" door skins, as sometimes they can be found cheap in a few wood species, but it's easier to just use veneer if you want real wood look. I have some oak and cherry veneer; I could do a demo on that....

Veneer is available in pretty much any species, the sky is the limit if your wallet can handle it. It's available paper backed, wood backed, PSA backed etc. I have applied veneer with contact cement and also with PVA (yellow wood glue) and a household iron, both ways work. Veneer is usually about .030" thick, a bit thinner than laminate.

Applying veneer is the exact same process as applying laminate, only it's more expensive and you have to finish it with something after it's applied.

For applying either one, all you need is a router with a laminate trimmer bit, contact cement, a crappy paint brush, and a veneer roller. A sharp razor is helpful with veneer.

If you are building from scratch and wanting to use the T molding edge trim, you would also need a tablesaw to cut the groove along the edge for the T molding.
2003 Honda Element