Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #1

Whats on your "Bucket list"?

I have been very fortunate in my life being able to travel a lot. I've been seeing the world by boat for the last 20 years, and prior to that I traveled extensively on my BMW motorcycle. The goal with the motorcycle was to go from Prudhoe Bay in Alaska to Tierra Del Fuego at the tip of South America. Sadly, I only made it to Panama before running out of money (rallypanam actualy finished this same trip on his BMW) The van thing is new to me, and in the two years we have had it, we have gone to some amazing places. Now that I'm nearing retirement, I hope to have even more time to travel and thats got me to thinking about where to go next. So far the plan is Baja again in the fall / winter. Next up is a trip across Canada from the West coast of Vancouver Island to Newfoundland, using as many dirt roads as possible. Rpa has a friend who has put this route together, and has a website with all the details http://graveltravel.ca/ He also wrote a great book about the time he spent in Robb's Paris / Dakar chase / support truck. It's on his site and is a very intertaining read. ( Tales from the bivouac, Dakar 2012) This winter I spent a couple weeks traveling with Vivalavida, and we discussed the possibility of shipping our vans to Iceland to do the Ring Road, so I'm considering how to do that after crossing Canada and ending up on the East Coast. I'm not sure I can afford it though, so I want to consider other options once we arrive on the East Coast. So, what's on your Bucket List?

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #2

Re: Whats on your "Bucket list"?

Retirement.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #3

I'd like to cruise around Alaskan coastal waters, but I don't know any reputable folks offering such tours.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #4

I don't have a bucket list. If there is something I really want to do, I find away to do it. Life is all about priorities. I've done over 500,000 miles riding and driving around the US and Canada. Traveled the places I really wanted to see in Europe by motorcycle. Most of my travel was by motorcycle because I couldn't afford gas for a car. Even got married on a motorcycle/sidecar at a BMW rally in North Carolina.

There are more things I wouldn't mind doing (i.e. drive a Ferrari 550/575) but they haven't become important enough to get around to them yet.

I guess the current priority project is finding the right place (outside of CA) to live.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
I'd like to cruise around Alaskan coastal waters, but I don't know any reputable folks offering such tours.
This summer might be a good time to book that trip!
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
I don't have a bucket list. If there is something I really want to do, I find away to do it. Mike

Thats pretty much how I have lived my life too, but now that I'm getting older I'm not sure what I want to do next, and I don't have forever to figure it out. Currently, I'm in pretty good health (for an old guy), but we all know that can change in a flash. Sadly, a good friend from work just passed away suddenly at 52 when he was just fine a week prior. So, with some advance planning I think I can still have a lot of great adventures, I just don't know what to do, but I do know I want to do it in the van. Tent camping for more than a few days with the GS has lost it's appeal ......................
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-11-2015, 05:42 PM   #7

Am 20 days away from retirement so have been thinking about this quite a bit. A cruise along the rivers of Europe would be nice. Viking offers small boat tours that last from one to two weeks. Have been on four continents and would like to figure a way to get to the other four; Antartica, South America, India and Greenland. Drive to Inuvik. Iceland. Travel by van around the U.S. Canada. SMB meet and greets. Closer to home; all the chores that have been neglected, photography, grandkids, friends and church activities. All of this is great and I am looking forward to it, but first on the list is turning off the alarm clock and sleeping in.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #8

Oh Lordy... that's a BIG list. Hoping to get the following checked off this year:

Iceland, Africa photo safari (gets two... a safari and a new continent), Ireland, tipping a couple pints in an English village pub, and Scotland (maybe duff a few at St. Andrews if I can manage it... that would be two check offs also!)

In terms of the Sporty bucket list... depending on time off available between contracts, I might try to run up into the Canadian Rockies, maybe hit a few states I've not been to yet, and maybe work on bagging some more CO 14ers.
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:04 AM   #9

We're a year or less away from retirement and seriously thinking about all the places we can go in our SMB. Working on getting it outfitted for long term travel. Solar next month, Endless Breeze fan arrived today (thank you Amazon Prime!)
We really look forward to exploring the the West, from Canada to Baja. And we hope to do as much exploring as possible with other forum members, going as far as our 2WD can go. As a river bum one goal is to have enough time to hang out in Utah to catch the Escalante when it has enough water to float. And a big goal in our travels is to find a nice, sunny little town somewhere to move to when we're no longer tied employment wise to the Seattle area. We love the summers here but I've had enough cold wet NW winters, especially troublesome in years like this when there is no snow for XC skiing.

Brad
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:07 AM   #10

I quit my job (i really loved it) and in 4 month my girlfriend and me are starting to travel around the world. We start to rounf africa. I think it is a continent with the most beautifull and amazing landscapes and animals on the whole world. As sooner you are there as more origin you can see it. Arctictraveler, you traveled a lot and maybe you where there also, but if not.....GO! CU on the road
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote