Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 04:48 PM   #1

Mystery leak

When it rains, or has rained, and I'm driving the van, water will drip from the top corner of the driver's side where the headliner meets the windshield (exhibit A)—seems to happen when going downhill or applying the breaks, suggesting that a rush of water forward is the ticket. The van was previously owned by my brother and he suspected water was coming in via a manufacturing flaw where the rain gutter on the driver's side had a small hole into which water could flow. From time to time he'd fill the hole with silicone. I had the van roof and gutters (and penthouse) shot with Linex a month ago so that would have fixed the problem had that been the culprit.

However, on a trip last week during which I camped and drove through lots of heavy rain, when I got into the van to drive home a fair amount of water dripped out of the spot described (more than ever before having had the Linex applied). My first inclination is to think that it may be a bad windshield seal—there's a spot at the top corner where it looks like the rubber trim is slightly out of shape—who knows if the windshield seal underneath may be suspect (Exhibit B). I haven't attempted to remove the trim yet but I'm thinking that with the new Linex it may be directing even more gutter rain into the poorly sealed windshield corner than before.

Anyone ever encounter a similar issue or care to speculate?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Exhibit B.JPG   Exhibit A.jpg  

Old 07-16-2015, 08:36 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Mystery leak

The last time my windshield was was replaced the technician noticed significant rust on the top section where the windshield is glued to the body. I had him take a little break while I bondo'd a few spots and applied POR15. Mine is a 2006 and I live in Southern California, dry environment. I'm betting the windshield seals are bad and you might have some rust.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #3

I've heard of lots of Ford van windshields leaking at the top. Usually you'll notice a wet driver's footwell where it eventually settles. I bet it's as simple as a windshield replacement.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies, folks. I'll start with an appointment at an auto glass repair shop. Hopefully that'll solve the problem and there won't be any rust. The van was kept under cover its entire life until last fall, so fingers crossed.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Mine was, and still is leaking, even after a windshield replacement, I even inspected things myself and went over it all with the tech, whatever that's worth these days....anyway, no visible signs of holes in the original seal, and they made sure to put extra sealant on the top of the new glass to make sure no leaks, I get a nice puddle on the drivers side floor and some drips on the passenger side. I might bring it back in and have them take another look. My only other thought is I have some body cracks up there in the corners, that's letting in water, but I didn't see any. I know this problem has been talked about in some other threads, maybe someone can find those discussions and post them here too, I'll try to look.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:47 PM   #6

I'm looking deep into the bowels of the forum for anything that might speak to my issues. I found one thread here; the last comment sounds familiar. However with the Linex covering the rain gutter weld point, I doubt that's it.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10311&hilit=Windshield+leak
Old 07-16-2015, 10:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Mine was, and still is leaking, even after a windshield replacement, I even inspected things myself and went over it all with the tech, whatever that's worth these days....anyway, no visible signs of holes in the original seal, and they made sure to put extra sealant on the top of the new glass to make sure no leaks, I get a nice puddle on the drivers side floor and some drips on the passenger side. I might bring it back in and have them take another look. My only other thought is I have some body cracks up there in the corners, that's letting in water, but I didn't see any. I know this problem has been talked about in some other threads, maybe someone can find those discussions and post them here too, I'll try to look.
I had a puddle that formed on my driver's floor board after a rain that I thought was coming from a faulty windshield seal. Right when I bought the van, Safelight replaced the windshield because there was a crack in it. After the first rain, I thought the seal wasn't right, so I had them come out to check it. The tech came out and spent an hour or so trying to show evidence of a leak, but it wasn't leaking from the windshield.

I read somewhere that some vans leaked at the body seams and that was my next plan of attack. I pulled the driver's side plastics to see if I could see evidence of where the water was coming in. There was a lot of dust/dirt, so it would have been easy to see. I didn't see any water trails so I was kind of stumped. I decided that it was coming from a seam on the floorboard, so I mixed up some JB Weld and covered up the seam. Since then, the puddle is about 95% gone. I think I need to do the other seam and that will eliminate the leak onto the floor board.

I think the OP said he can see the water drip from the top corner, so I imagine this wont help his cause. But I figured I would post it since REF seems to have the same problem that I had.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:33 PM   #8

That's helpful Jin, thanks! I've always wondered if there was more than one possible culprit.

Sorry for the hijack OP!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:45 PM   #9

No worries on hi-jacking—it's a thread about Mystery Leaks and I'm not the only one with one. So, all comments are of some value to those who may stumble upon this thread one day.

Now, can we talk about MY leak again?
Old 07-17-2015, 01:03 AM   #10

Have you taken off the plastic covers from that pillar to try and look behind it? If I remember correctly, I think all you have to do is take the little covers off the handle and there are some nuts to unbolt. Then its the pillar part is held in by a couple clips. Once you take that off, I think you should be able to look for a water trail.