Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #1

Bike Racks

I tried a search but only became more confused. I would like to add a two bike rack to the rear of my SMB. (2005 E 350). I have the stock bumper with an Aluminess spare tire carrier. I think the issue is with a hitch mounted bike rack, it won't stick out far enough to clear the spare tire. And I would like something that will allow me to open the door without a lot of fuss.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks...

Tom

Old 08-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #2

Re: Bike Racks

I use an extension and swing away bike rack. You can carry 2 or up to 4 bikes, also swing open and away the bikes to open entire back up.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #3

Tom,
We had the same concerns and sounds like we have similar vans. We bought a hitch mounted Yakima swing away bike rack, ours can hold 4 bikes but we only carry two. It just clears our Aluminess mounted spare tire. It allows the bikes to be swung aside in order to fully open the rear doors and it's not too much of a pain to swing them away. We just travelled about 1500 miles through Idaho and Montana for two weeks with the bikes on the back and it worked flawlessly. The only problem is the dust that collects on the chain and gears. We're out near Issaquah/Redmond if you want to have a look in person.

Ours is from Craigslist for $150, an older version of this: http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-SwingDaddy ... +bike+rack

Brad
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #4
tlg

Garage

I run a Kuat two bike rack out of the Aluminess bumper (with deluxe box and spare tire carrier). Took several tries to find a hitch extension that would clear the box/tire carrier and allow access to the rear doors without having to remove the bike rack. Ended up with a Brophy 14" hitch extension. Had to add a Blue Ox Hitch Receiver Immobilizer II to eliminate what was a significant amount of play in the extension. Both of those items are available at Etrailer. Am very pleased with the setup and highly recommend the Kuat for strength and ease of use. Hope this helps.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

viewtopic.php?t=7470#p83076
I have had great use on this and the only upgrade would be the 1up racks mounted to it and not the Thule

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #6

thanks all, for your tips. REI's Labor Day sale is coming up, so I think it may be the Yakima or Thule rack for me. I had thought about mounting the bike rack on the front receiver, but am loath to add anything that will block any airflow to the engine.

Tom
Old 08-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #7

I've carried 3 mt. bikes in front with no cooling issues. Gas v10.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #8

I have carried two bikes on the front. I find it a little odd. I had my time trial bike up there and it was really odd because there is so much 'frame' to get in the way.

For me, the fact that it blocks so much of my view is kind of a deal breaker. It is an option but only if I absolutely have to.

I have the Kuat and have used a hitch extension with the same Aluminess bits.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #9

Tom,
I assume you saw this thread:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...hp?f=16&t=7618

I have the 2006, with the rack option at that time. It supports two bikes, high enough up. I made my own bike bag, which is great for dusty roads or rain. Another plus is that people can't see what you are really carrying. I've since made another cover, using camo. The black coated material I used for the cover shown in the photos did not last nearly as long as the heavy cordura.

Steve
BACKRDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:10 PM   #10

I use a North Shore Rack. I have the 4 bike version, but they make a 2 bike. Folds down and clears the doors and bumper swing outs with the bikes attached.

Attached Thumbnails
rack2.jpg