Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #1

Audisnapr SMB Part Deux

Wanted to share our new-to-us, 2005 Ford E350 Super Duty, 6.0 diesel, EB50, 4x4 Sportsmobile-west-built rig. Many of you are probably very familiar with this particular setup as it seems SMB-west popped these out pretty frequently in the mid 2000’s – even so, it’s a unique snowflake to us. This particular rig has seen its share of the United States and them some I’m sure. My understanding is that I am the fourth owner; the previous owner being Cyclesomatic who owned it for a short while, but paid very close attention to maintenance and overall care leaving me with a van in great shape (considering the number of hands that have touched this rig, the interior is in excellent shape).

As some of you know, I jumped into the “affordable” SMB culture when I picked up our 1993 E250 RWD RB-13(?) down in Florida. It was a great starter SMB and was essential to introducing my wife and then 1y/o daughter to the great outdoors and camping – something that was very important to me as a kid (like I keep telling my wife, “you can’t put a price on memories” – it’s how I now have two SMBs and a boat). Now that my wife and daughter are hooked and we’ve had four years with the ’93, we were able to make a well informed decision with regards to the floor plan and amenities of our next rig.

Introducing our next rig.

Of course a ten year old SMB doesn’t come without some items in need of attention. The roof gel coat looks pretty rough and could use a good sanding and respray – most likely a bed-liner coat. The four solar panels all seem to be mounted with different hardware, at different heights/orientations, etc – this will need to be addressed and will be done in conjunction with the sprayed roof. The SMB components of the undercarriage show a lot of surface rust – mostly an eye sore, but could use some TLC soon. Front and rear springs and shocks are original and should be replaced before too long. On the flip side, it has brand new rotors and calipers, a fairly new inverter, two new 4D AGM batteries, new wheels/tires and a whole list of current maintenance among other things.

In the immediate future I plan to add an Aluminess ladder, repair the passenger swing arm latch mechanism (completely missing), mount the Fiamma 45s I picked up on my drive home from the west coast using 1der’s brackets, figure out what of few of these random switches in the van are for and generally enjoy what is left of the summer.

A big thank you to Carringb for taking some time to test drive the van for me ahead of time.

Here are a few shots from our drive back from Oregon.

IMG_8615 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr
IMG_8634 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr
IMG_8636 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr
IMG_8641 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr
IMG_8733 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr
IMG_9037 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr
IMG_9011 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr

43 vs 19. Tied on the first race… the second race was over after the first two or three steps. I’ve got the speed, but not the endurance.
IMG_8778 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr

Old 08-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #2

Re: Audisnapr SMB Part Deux

Great looking rig and awesome photos!
Old 08-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #3

Great looking van. What rims are those. I like them a lot. Never Mind I found them
jjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #4

Nice!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #5

I agree nice looking van!

I too took the "affordable" SMB route getting a less expensive older Dodge, just to get the family(wife) on board. She now sends me CL adds of SMB's for sale so I think my plan has worked! We also are learning a ton about what works for us and what things we would change on the next SMB....and there will definitely be a next SMB!

Best of luck and I am looking forward to seeing what you fab up for the new rig like you did for the old one!
Old 08-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #6

OK, we really need to get some of NY-NJ-PA SMBers together, if only for an afternoon. Where are you in NJ?

Nice van, and I'm glad your trip home went well!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #7

Nice rig! Prepare for the trick questions when filling up at the gas pump.

Are those solar panels underneath the Yakima bars?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
OK, we really need to get some of NY-NJ-PA SMBers together, if only for an afternoon. Where are you in NJ?

Nice van, and I'm glad your trip home went well!
Yes - we've been saying this for far too long now. Need to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Nice rig! Prepare for the trick questions when filling up at the gas pump.

Are those solar panels underneath the Yakima bars?
Hasn't happened yet here in NJ, but did plenty of filling up across the US. Just a footnote, it cost me $560 in Diesel to drive across the US ~3300 miles. Cyclesomatic delivered the van with a full tank, so that would add another $80-100, but still, seemed reasonable considering how many mountain passes and hills I had to navigate.

Yes, the panels are under the bars.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:54 PM   #9

Sweet pics and congrats again! That one with the clouds in the middle is amazing.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #10

Question: what is the toggle switch on the right side of the steering for?