Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

Sportsmobile build records contact point?

I recently purchased a used Sportsmobile and was interested in getting the original build sheet for my Sportsmobile, has anyone had any luck or know who to speak with at the company to get this information?

I've sent a few emails to info@sportsmobile.com that have not been very helpful. One said they keep all records under the original owner's name, and after I responded I was told in a curt response, they have 3 factories and produce hundreds of vans a year, sorry.

They seriously can't cross reference with a VIN or narrow down by year/model/sale location? Just curious if there is someone to get in contact with that would be more helpful.

I should add it is an older vehicle (97 Dodge B3500)

smblkja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #2

Re: Sportsmobile build records contact point?

What part of the country are you in? I would go with the SMB location closest to you. I've had the best luck with Austin and Nancy at the Indiana branch. Being a pretty small company and with the independent locations (I'm pretty sure) it doesn't surprise me that they can't cross reference. If you have specific questions in regards to your build just post some pics and questions here. Folks here are pretty helpful.

Good luck

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:40 PM   #3

SMB Indiana only keeps records by original owner's name, at least that's what Nancy told me when I bought my used Indiana-built van. Thankfully, I know the original owner's name, so it's no biggie, and further, I have the order sheet from the PO.

That being said, there's not really much that a build sheet will tell you that you can't figure out yourself by looking through your van carefully. A good way to get acquainted with it, too. If you have questions about anything take photos and post them here and you'll likely get quick answers.

Or, post your location and ask for a nearby, experienced SMB'er to help orient you. I know I'd be happy to do this for anyone in my area.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smblkja
I should add it is an older vehicle (97 Dodge B3500)
Older? No, classic!

Keep them old Dodges rolling.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 09-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #5

Thanks all! I spoke with Nancy and she confirmed records are by original owner name but hard to access.

There wasn't anything in particular I was looking for, it was just mainly curiosity and confirmation of stock build. I was supplied with the original grey binder.

And yes, loving the Dodge! Looking forward to the next SoCal meetup.
smblkja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:25 AM   #6

I was told the same thing by SMB West regarding build records. If you don't have the original owners name you're out of luck. Cross referencing by VIN would be such a simple thing...
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smblkja
There wasn't anything in particular I was looking for, it was just mainly curiosity and confirmation of stock build. I was supplied with the original grey binder.
If you got that then I would say you are in great shape. My records did include the original build order and build sheet but it didn't give me any information to speak of and I've never referred back to it. I have referred to the gray binder many times. Like many have said, your greatest resource is probably this community of helpful folks and enthusiasts.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
If you got that then I would say you are in great shape. My records did include the original build order and build sheet but it didn't give me any information to speak of and I've never referred back to it. I have referred to the gray binder many times. Like many have said, your greatest resource is probably this community of helpful folks and enthusiasts.
So True! As a new member of this community (with a new-to-me rig), the greatest resource has been the posts here. The binder has been a nice-to-have-item, but the information and pictures posted here have been a God send!