Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2015, 10:19 PM   #1

The pig is finally flying

After 7 long months of waiting the Flying Pigmobile is finally on the road. SMB Ford Transit serial number 1, (but not the first Transit out the door). A 2015 Ford Transit RB Low Roof with a 150 floor plan and Penthouse. Part of our long wait was because our van was used as the prototype model for the fiberglass Penthouse.
We picked it up in Fresno and drove home to Denver after a couple nights in Yosemite. In the photo gallery you can see I forgot to ship out our leveling blocks and we had to improvise with rocks and fire wood to level the van.
The windshield had to be replaced the last minute because it picked up a chip during the travel to or from the fiberglass shop. Fortunately, the passenger seat swivel arrived and was able to be installed the day before delivery, (it is a "must-have"). We were disappointed that they could not build a swing-out cook box for the side door. When you look at the photos you can see that the door latch mechanism gets in the way.
Most everything worked well, with the exception of the side door screen insert that had a zipper break the 2nd day of use. We needed that screen because the yellow jackets were bad in Yosemite. Also, the windshield curtain snaps pulled out right away. I sewed on a couple Velcro straps to fasten it to the windshield visors, as an alternative.
I'm real pleased with the Eco-Boost V6. It has torque like a diesel. We got bogged down in traffic on Vail pass and was able to pull back up to 70 MPH in no time. It averaged around 17-18 MPG, even driving 70-75 MPH.
We just wish there was more summer left to use it some more.
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=1063

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #2

Re: The pig is finally flying

"Flying Pigmobile"
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:16 AM   #3

Not nearly as piggish as the name implies. Pretty van. The interior is beautiful.

Oh, rocks and firewood are the norm for some of us for leveling. I have one stack of levelers stored underneath but if they're muddy or the ground is wet I just go for rocks. Easy and usually plentiful.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #4

I agree, looks pretty slick.

I'm not seeing why they can't do the galley box, do the hinges fold
into that space when the door closes or something?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #5

To follow up:
I just got the replacement side door screen in the mail from SMB. (They did good.)

As far as the door mount box goes; The standard swing out box wouldn't work with the frame around the door latch that sticks out from the door surface about 3". I think, over time, I can come up with something to mount the box off the surface of the door and swing out beyond the latch.

And now for the name, "Flying Pig-mobile"; Early in the buying process when we were having trouble getting feedback on the build schedule, we joked that we would get the van "when pigs fly". We then found a solar powered LED mobile that has little flying pigs that light-up, we bought one for the FPMB.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #6

My neighbor with the RV that we are chronically fixing was the chief helicopter pilot for the local sheriffs dept for 30+ years; he has flying pig stuff all over the house......

A few years ago my girlfriend asked "what's with all the flying pigs?"
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #7

Great looking unit! BTW, where is the propane tank mounted?
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #8

Looks great!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote