Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2015, 05:22 PM   #1

new smb owner winter storage questions

Hi All-
I'm a new owner of a 2004 rb50 v10. We are very happy with our transaction and with the vehicle itself. We are slowly figuring stuff out as this is our 1st rv, and I wanted to see what folks thought about winter storage. We live at 7500 ft in colorado and the winters at our house are cold, snowy, and long. Unfortunately the van will have to live outside covered in snow when not being used. We will probably only use it a few times during the winter. I have considered getting a cover for it; anyone have thoughts on this, or can recommend a good one?
As far as winterizing goes, I drained all the water, then funneled a gallon of the pink rv antifreeze into the water tank and ran it through the faucets, ext. water connection, drain lines, and grey water lines and drain line from the grey water tank. I have left all faucets, valves, drains, open. Is this sufficient or am I missing something?
also- our van has no heat or a/c in the rear for passengers. Anyone know of good, small, clipable or mountable fans that will plug into the dc outlets?

Thanks for any and all advice-
Steven

steven3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:30 PM   #2

Re: new smb owner winter storage questions

almost forgot:
when filling my fuel tank, I need to fill very slowly, and then it overflows and shuts off at about 30 gallons. (42 gal tank) I can sometimes get a little more in the tank if i am at a pump that can fill very, very slowly. Seems like a venting issue, and after every fuel-up, the inside of the van smells of gas for 10-15 minutes. Is this common? any ideas?

thx again-
steven
Old 11-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Welcome to the forum.

Batteries don't like cold and need a maintenance charge on a regular basis. Don't let them freeze if you able to prevent it. The CO detector and the radio will pull down the charge over a long period.

My diesel tank does the same...I don't slowly top it off and don't worry about getting that last little bit in.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #4

Welcome!

My stock gasoline tank has similar behaviour.....shuts off the pump before full sometimes and is a PITA to get full.....not always.....thinking it may be related to the CA vapor recovery nozzles...

For Fans check out Caframo brand. They make a whole lineup of 12V fans.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb

Welcome to Club SMB!! We got a great accessory end (cigarette lighter end) fan at a truck stop we were at fueling up. I think it was on sale for $10...we plug it in our middle plug in and runs off the battery (truck battery)...never drained the battery where I had to jump it...works well...can't wait to see our trip reports! Keep us posted!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #6

thx guys- I did pull the co2 fuse to keep it from running down the battery, and plan on driving the van from time to time at the very least to keep the battery charged. Will check out the fans and will try and post photos soon.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:26 PM   #7

Your winterizing should do the trick. We've found that it's tough to get the taste of the pink rv antifreeze flushed from the lines. We've been winterizing with really cheap gin or vodka. The freeze point for 80 proof is only about -15, so we use 90 proof. The taste isn't nearly as hard to get flushed from the lines. I installed http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... r-kit/6279 between the water tank and water pump. Just flip the valve and pump straight from the bottle.

As far as a cover, we stopped using ours in the winter. Once it gets snowed on, followed by a couple of freeze/thaw cycles, the cover is really hard to remove.
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #8

welcome to the family! I have a 2004 rb smb and had a 700 dollar winter cover custom made because I keep my van outside. don't live in the mountain but at the beach where the weather is harsh. I used it twice and decided to rent a storage garage at a friends complex because I use my van weekly and it was a hassel taking it on and off all the time. willing to sell for half price. enjoy the many fun times ahead. c ya!
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #9

We put a poly tarp and then a RV cover over it during the winter. We open all the cabinet doors and put a 120V electric heater in it with a thermostat set to 40 degrees. We only use the van occasionally during the winter and just pull the cover off when needed. We very rarely get below freezing and then only down to 17 degrees.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:42 AM   #10

We use an outdoor storage lot.

We take ALL food out of the van and liquids (hand soaps, Windex, etc.)

Remove anything that a mouse might like to make a nest in (all blankets and bedding except for what we have up in the penthouse.

Drain all water lines and tanks and add just enough pink stuff to make sure the water pumps have some in them (about 1/2 gallon).

Drain the Port-a-poty fresh water tank and add enough pink stuff so bellows pump pumps pink stuff.

Change the motor oil.

Cover all windows to keep the UV out.

Disconnect the fully charged house batteries (will check on their charge about half way through winter). Van radio is also connected to house batteries.

Store awning and solar panels inside the locked van.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote