Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #1

Where to camp near SMBW?

Apologies if this is already posted on the site somewhere: I couldn't come up with search terms that got me a result. I have to be at SMBW bright and early tomorrow morning, so would like to find a place I can park and sleep nearby overnight. Can't be too urban since my version of camping in the SMB includes the great outdoors as my, er, "facilities".

Any advice? Does SMBW itself let people sleep in their yard (and if so, do they have facilities and do they keep it unlocked?). Doesn't have to be too close by: 30 minutes away would be ok, so long as it is not north of Fresno.

Thanks,
Jim

1999 EB 4x4 7.3l diesel. Custom layout: 4 capt, big bed, PH, fridge & sink. Aluminess all around, bushwhackers, AR wheels, racks and yakima box on top. Our 2-year-olds have for some reason named it "Moose Van".
wannaSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #2

Re: Where to camp near SMBW?

I asked once about sleeping on the street near SMBW and they said not to. Not a great neighborhood. Sorry, I don't know of any close camping places.

Brian
Old 01-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #3

I suspect Sportsmobile West could have some ideas for you when you get there.

This probably isn't useful to you, but . . .

Here's a posting about camping in Glennville (a couple hours southeast of Fresno): Headed to Fresno

When we picked up our new Sportsmobile in 2004, we camped in the Shaver Lake area. Scenic, but in the mountains an hour+ northeast of Fresno. Not on the way to anything. (We wanted a real camping & 4x4 test.)
Old 01-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
Site Team

SMBw keeps their yard locked up. As has been mentioned, it's not the greatest area. Not bad, but it's in an industrial area.

I'm sure someone had stealth camped in their SMB on the street outside , but the closest facilities are the service station down the road.

Herb
Old 01-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #5

WannaSMB,
Yosemite isn't too far away and neither is Sequoia National Park. If you are in the Sequoia N.P. area let me know. There are a few RV parks that are close and one about a mile down the road from me. I think they will charge you $20-$30 and it's right on the river. If you don't feel like paying let me know. I have a small driveway but we might be able to make some room for you.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #6

Millerton State Recreational Area at Millerton Lake.
It's no more than 30 minutes Northeast of Fresno.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=587
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #7

Thanks everyone! I am going to arrive at 10 pm and be out by 8 am, so I really just need a place to park that does not entail extra driving. Thus, I'm targeting this gorgeous little slice of heaven:

"Phillip S. Raine rest area" http://tinyurl.com/9hwaos

I'll be sure to post a detailed trip report.
1999 EB 4x4 7.3l diesel. Custom layout: 4 capt, big bed, PH, fridge & sink. Aluminess all around, bushwhackers, AR wheels, racks and yakima box on top. Our 2-year-olds have for some reason named it "Moose Van".
Old 01-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #8

For the benefit of others searching in the future, here is was Peter at SMBW recommended:

You can try Millerton lake 559-822-2225 if coming from the north or Riverland resort 559-897-5166 if traveling from the south. All Wal-Mart's are camper friendly also.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #9

You can camp at Camping World right near SMB. Just part on the alley/road entrance. I stayed on the right as you go in next to an overgrown fence just outside the RV dealer lot. There was a class A down the street a bit in the morning, but otherwise quiet.

Just be sure to park outside any gates, and not inside the RV lot/storage.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #10

We parked on SMBW's street and DID see two drug buys go down between truckers and their connections before we turned in. Got rousted later by the cops who advised we move unless we wanted the van tagged as we slept.