Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Is this a good price for a used E-350 Diesel?

My local cargo van "broker" just got a 2006 Ford E-350 RB 6.0 diesel in with about 115k miles, and he's asking $8750 for it. Is that a good price (especially for a diesel)?

All his vans are off-lease, so I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. He did say that local businesses buy his vans for their fleet, so I guess it's not a bad deal. Would you buy an off-lease vehicle?

Plus, he said everything he sells is definitely under $10,000 (and more like under $9k). So, for a base van, I'm hoping I can get a deal from him when I'm ready to buy.

Whatcha think?

Thanks for any other insight you may have to offer.

(Edited to add: I just did a quick KBB price check on a "standard" equipped van like this. It said $14,000 for excellent shape. So, I guess this - and other vans - might be a good deal from this guy.)

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:10 AM   #2

Re: Is this a good price for a used E-350 Diesel?

Dave ,
You might consider asking about Service Records as the 6.0 seem to be needy little buggers .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #3

That's a good suggestion, thank you.

However, I never was interested in a diesel rig. I just posted this here to find out if they have decent prices or not (since they're all supposedly under $9k), because I have no idea what used vans like this should go for.

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
Old 10-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Site Team

I agree with requesting the service records.

Also, get the VIN, and post at TheDieselStop.com or some similar site, run an Oasis report. An Oasis report lists the Ford dealership warranty, repair, recall work performed.

Title your post something like "Oasis request".

Herb
Old 10-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage

I'll second what Greggde & Herb said. Plus, I would be worried about the driving habbits of those who used the vehicle. But if you have someone you trust who can do diesel work for cheap, those prices seem good. I think I paid 32K for a new stock 2006 EB 6.0PSD van. The price of parts has to be factored in as well. But who knows, you might pick up a solid runner. I would tend to stay clear of the older 6.0's used in fleet services.
Dave B

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
Site Team

An '06 with 155K miles is a lot of miles per year, which could mean they're mostly highway miles.

If you're not in a rush, and if you think the vehicle may be on the market for a week or two, I'd request to take an oil sample for analysis (Blackstone,...). That will tell you a lot about the engine/cooling system.

Herb
Old 10-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #7

I'm not prepared to purchase any vehicle right now. I was just curious if that price (under $9000) sounded good for a Ford Econoline van, diesel or not.

But when I am ready, I'll certainly take all your suggestions to heart. Thanks!