Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #1

Penthouse attic fan

Has anyone out there put an attic fan into a penthouse top? I'd like to hear about any experiences out there. Thanks.

playVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #2

Re: Penthouse attic fan

I've thought about doing it for a long time. And I keep coming back with the same answer:

- With all the penthouse windows open I have enough ventilation.

- If it is for use with the top down, I have a Fantastic Fan that fits one of my rear side windows.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #3

I have one in my EB cab roof. LenS put one in the PH, search with him as author.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by playVT
Has anyone out there put an attic fan into a penthouse top? I'd like to hear about any experiences out there. Thanks.
Yes, I had SMB West install one during the build. John Kalbach (since departed) had it done for me. This was a small fan that didn't void the penthouse warrenty. It works with the penthouse down (which is what I wanted). It has a built in fan. I bought it so that I could crack the windows, turn the fan on and keep heat from building up in the van (to protect my dog(s)). I am very happy with it.

I've attached a photo, the vent is the round thing on the other side of the solar panel.

David
Attached Thumbnails
exterior_01.jpg   interior_01.jpg  
Old 04-30-2011, 07:21 AM   #5

dmeade0, that looks like it would fit on the RB cab roof the way my fan fits on the EB... that is if someone would rather punch a hole in the cab then the PH (personally I'm glad the PO did it for me...)
Old 04-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #6

Living in the woodsy north east an attic fan is a great supplement for the penthouse top and a REAL must if you did not have the penthouse. Many times there is very little or no breeze in the woods and the air can be still, humid and hot. I don't think Vermont and Michigan would be much different. An open coastal area or higher elevations might be a different story.

We installed a Fantastic Vent 6600R/417 after we had the SMB install the penthouse top on our van. The 6600 model has 14 speeds, VERY quite on low speeds, and consumes about 1/3 the power of the 4000R model (but the 4000 is significantly cheaper). We do get lots of use out of it and appreciate the low noise when it is needed when sleeping.

You will have to plan the installation carefully because there is really very little structure in the light weight penthouse top.

Of course installing any fan one of the important questions to find the answer too is how much air does it really exchange? The 12 volt Fantastic Vent moves 920 CFM on high speed (at 1.9 amps)! That is about 2 air changes per minute for a van w a penthouse top.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
dmeade0, that looks like it would fit on the RB cab roof the way my fan fits on the EB... that is if someone would rather punch a hole in the cab then the PH (personally I'm glad the PO did it for me...)
I have a RB. The nice thing about letting SMB do the work is that it didn't void my PH lifetime warrenty.

David
Old 05-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #8

Garage
Penthouse attic fan

Has anyone seen a fan in contempo top?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #9

The vent David posted that SMB installed for him is I think the VentLine VP-543 PW. It is a 6.5" diameter 100 CFM, 2.8 amp, 12 volt unit. This is based on comparing pictures of the two.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #10

awhile back on this site i think, wasnt't there a post about new smooth top pop up roofs as opposed to old style grainy, and sportsmobile would now put in fantastic fan{vent) in them