Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #1

Peel & stick roof underlayment as a sound deadener?

I saw a video awhile back that showed a guy using peel & stick roof underlayment as a sound deadener, instead of using fatmat or dyamat.

Know anything about this idea? I started using it, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

The stuff I bought was cheaper than using the other brands, but couldn't find it online as a reference to show you, but below is something similar

Here is a reference...http://www.tamko.com/ResidentialRoofing ... -StickFelt

dudewithvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #2

Re: Peel & stick roof underlayment as a sound deadener?

some of that roof stuff gives off fumes and will stink up your interior.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #3

Fumes aside (because I've had it in my van for 6 months and haven't noticed anything), would it be just as effective?
dudewithvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #4

There are more long, tedious and pseudo-scientific articles on the internet about the relative benefits and drawbacks to the various types of deadener, including asphalt roofing material, than there are on sex. Of course, none of the companies selling very expensive sound mat would ever exaggerate the benefits of their very expensive products, nor, I'm sure would they dream of overstating the drawbacks of roofing asphalt.

Having said that, I used asphalt tiles in several VW vans and found it remarkably effective, with no smell, even in a hot climate. It's easy to apply with a heat gun and it work well at damping sound and vibration. After applying it to the door panels of my last completely uninsulated van, they sounded like Mercedes doors when they closed. It works.

I suspect that if you have the ears of a concert musician and want to recreate the acoustics of your concert hall work environment, you might be able to tell the difference between the various materials but for mere mortals? I think it's 99% marketing bullish*%. YMMV.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #5

I used it on the inside of my back and side doors, floor just behind the driver/pass seat, and along the walls behind the double side doors and behind the drivers door. I started from the back and have worked my way to the front over the last several months. So far, I have not had any odor or ill effects. IMO, it works, maybe not as good as the pro stuff, but it does make a difference.

TravelingManVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:47 PM   #6

I used it in my '76 Pathfinder 4x4 van. Worked great IMO.

Fun fact: Use a blow dryer (or a heat gun if you are good) to make it conform to concavities and convexities. Adds weight and sound deadening. Doors closed with a thud when I was done.

If I had to do it over again I would still use the peel and stick roofing material.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:42 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Nearly every time another sound deadening posts crops up I tout my own best solution which combines cost effective and permanent application that solves more than a few problems associated with bare uninsulated vans. To wit: http://www.radiantbarrier.com/double...insulation.htm

I've used this material on four different E-Series vans and its been outstanding each time. It provides insulation of course (albeit a bit minimal comparatively) but sound deadening and almost total elimination of bare metal condensation is a huge benefit.

Using a 3M-type spray adhesive there is no residual smell and for the most part this stuff is quite inexpensive. Because its a stable non-asphalt material it has absolutely none of those qualities, perceived or actual. Since its insulation it can and does easily withstand temperature swings because its designed to do so.

With a single roll I can double-layer cover and entire E250 EB and still have some left over---all for $150 or so, less adhesive of course. Its easily cut and shaped to fit to most any flat or curved body panel including inside door shells, even the front doors with movable glass. After installation it requires nothing as far as upkeep etc.

Perhaps a bit smugly I chuckle when this topic is raised anew----I'm trying to spread the word on a great alternative to FatMat etc etc et al. And NO I'm NOT associated with ANY radiant barrier insulation manufacturer or seller!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #8

JWA: Does the bubble wrap deaden sound? My guess is that the 3M spray on contact cement itself does sufficient deadening even if the bubble wrap itself doesn't. It is much lighter which is a big plus IMO. I will definitely try it instead of asphault peel off if I have a need to insulate my wagon more than what the factory did. And I agree that any product which eliminates bare metal condensation is great. The asphault does that too, but with a lot of weight if you cover the entire inside of a cargo van (which is what I did!).
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:25 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

E350 what I've pretty much accidentally discovered about killing sound inside our once-empty vans is kinda interesting, if only to me.

Generally fitting sheets of plywood to the floor, without any sort of moisture absorbing/trapping insulation etc etc reduces so much sound all by itself. I'd have to say that step alone deadens 50% or more.

The bubble wrap/foil sandwich applied as I describe serves to dampen the side wall vibrations almost completely. In fact a single layer on the inside of the door shells and the walls above the horizontal lower double wall plus the roof in between the ribs results in an amazingly quiet van. Perhaps this is by comparison only to the empty version but the difference is still pretty amazing.

As also mentioned the radiant barrier is very light in weight---a whole roll of 500 sq/ft weighs maybe 35 pounds, +/- a few. It takes no more than half a roll to double layer the entire van interior you've added no more than 20 pounds of a completely stable material.

Its my material of choice and along with my experience before and after installation over the longer term my happy accident discovery seems to continue being a good idea.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote