Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #1

Q Van Build Up

This forum looks like a good place to start a build thread. I've already learned a lot about these vans from my short time on here.

I recently traded off my Landcruiser for this thing, and am looking forward to building it up into my next expedition vehicle.

Here are some details:

2002 E-350 EB 15 Passenger
7.3L Diesel
Quigley 4x4 Conversion - more details below
Fleet maintained by Halliburton
Bone stock and well maintained
Very clean

First thing that I did was contact Quigley to get all of the specs on the conversion. They were extremely helpful and happy to hear from me. They sent me a 10 page PDF that had everything down to the nuts/bolts used in their conversion. Also included was an alignment sheet from when they had it aligned with only 8 miles on the odometer.

I actually drove this rig back from California (to Arkansas), so I do have some seat time in it. I'm quite pleased with the way that it drives. The build sheet shows that it has the heavy front springs, which seem to mitigate the constant "bottoming out" that I had heard was a problem on the Quigley Conversions.
Also, not even a hint of steering shimmy either.

So far, I'm focusing on base lining the rig, and getting everything exactly where I want it before I begin designing/fabricating parts for this build. Sort of a modified stock approach.

Here's what I've done so far:

F-350 Instrument Cluster - Had to have the tach...
E-Series Tow Mirrors
New Alternators - Has factory dual setup
New Batteries
New Up Pipe Gaskets
APCM - for high idle functions
Fresh A/C service - Has rear A/C

The tow mirrors were quite a bit of work to install on the 2002 doors! Definitely not for the faint of heart, but I was able to knock it out in 4-5 hrs, and have all 4 mounting points securely holding them in place.

The F350 cluster was fun. Turned out to be more work than I had though. Took several hours with both the F350 and E350 wiring diagrams in hand. I think there were only 2 wires that I DIDN'T have to modify..

Everything else has just been basic maintenance. It gets hot/humid here in the summer, so having an A/C system that functions 100% was a must. The APCM from an ambulance was installed to keep everything cool at idle.

Here are some pics!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Adventr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #2

Re: Q Van Build Up

Ok, here are the pics.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Nice rig, looks like it may Chateau model.

Funny that you drove it from CA to AR, when I bought my '01 7.3L Excursion, I drove it from AR to CA.

Herb
Old 07-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Nice rig, looks like it may Chateau model.

Funny that you drove it from CA to AR, when I bought my '01 7.3L Excursion, I drove it from AR to CA.

Herb

Interesting. I'll have to do some research on the Chateau models. I've not seen anything that's mentioned it, but it is a two-tone paint job, and i've not really seen one like that before.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #5

I like the tac. on the factory dash, dont have that on my '03.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #6

Garage

nice work on mods so far. mirrors look handy and the cluster is high on my priority list. care to send me copies of the wiring diagrams??

What does ACPM stand for? mine came with that little dealio, but ive unplugged it now that its summer. I figured it wouldnt work when it was warmer, but it still does. Kinda annoying in the summer, but loved it in the winter. I also need to find a better place to mount it once i get my swivels installed. mine is a bit different though. it doenst have adjustable idle (the 4 up and down buttons), or the display.

i bought my van in georga and drove it to idaho, lol. why do so many of us never have the luck of finding our rides locally??
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #7

Some more details on the 4wd conversion.

It seems that this was one of the last rigs that Quigley converted before they went to using the 99+ Ford front axles. This rig has a Kingpin D60 with serviceable hubs. No unit bearings here! Also has 4.10 gears.
The rear axle is still the factory D60, but I've got an upgrade for that. Actually going to be swapping it out for a SRW Dana 80 with Disc Brakes from a 2002 Ram 2500 HO 6spd. Kind of a hard axle to track down, as they only did the disc brake SRW 80s on the HO 2002 models.

With that said....

This van did come with a pallet in the rear cargo area that had a brand new U-Joint Offroad Kit and a D60 Front Axle.
Here are the specs on that setup (which is currently just sitting in my garage):

U-Joint Offroad Brackets/Bolts/Install Kit
New HD Atlas Leaf Springs - 7" - Front
New HD Atlas Leaf Springs - 7" - Rear
99-03 Ford D60 Front - 4.56 gears and High-Steer arm - Needs Unit Bearings and Brake Rotors to be complete

So, I could go that route, but I'd be giving up the KP D60 for Ball Joints and Unit Bearings... I'm really leaning toward a long-arm kit for the Quigley and just running some 35" tires.
In that case, I'd just sell the UJOR kit outright, or do some trading for van goodies.

So many choices!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChad
I like the tac. on the factory dash, dont have that on my '03.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
nice work on mods so far. mirrors look handy and the cluster is high on my priority list. care to send me copies of the wiring diagrams??

What does ACPM stand for? mine came with that little dealio, but ive unplugged it now that its summer. I figured it wouldnt work when it was warmer, but it still does. Kinda annoying in the summer, but loved it in the winter. I also need to find a better place to mount it once i get my swivels installed. mine is a bit different though. it doenst have adjustable idle (the 4 up and down buttons), or the display.

i bought my van in georga and drove it to idaho, lol. why do so many of us never have the luck of finding our rides locally??

Yeah, I'll take some pics of the diagrams that I used for the cluster swap. It really wasn't too bad, as mostly the wires were the right colors, but you do have to move almost every one of them on all 3 connectors (1 x 16pin and 2 x 12 pin).

The APCM (or AIC) is Ford's Aux PCM (or Aux Idle Controller). There are several different versions, including the "base" version that you are describing. The one I have is fully programmable, and has a lot of features that I don't even use.
It's main function is this:

When vehicle is in Park
Parking brake is SET
It will raise the idle to maintain 13.8-14.0 battery voltage (when in Charge Control Mode). This is useful in ambulance vehicles, where they idle for extended periods of time with high electrical loads. RPM Control allows you to pick a specific RPM that you want the controller to hold (say 1500rpm).
When I get this rig built, it will have a rather large electrical system, so Charge Control will be handy. Right now, I use it for keeping the engine speeds elevated while my wife waits inside the vehicle. This makes the A/C blow colder!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventr
...This van did come with a pallet in the rear cargo area that had a brand new U-Joint Offroad Kit and a D60 Front Axle.
Here are the specs on that setup (which is currently just sitting in my garage):

99-03 Ford D60 Front - 4.56 gears and High-Steer arm - Needs Unit Bearings and Brake Rotors to be complete

So, I could go that route, but I'd be giving up the KP D60 for Ball Joints and Unit Bearings... I'm really leaning toward a long-arm kit for the Quigley and just running some 35" tires.
In that case, I'd just sell the UJOR kit outright, or do some trading for van goodies.

So many choices!
You might want to give Chris (U Joint) a call and discuss the pros and cons about what you have under your rig, and what's in the cargo area of your rig. He may have some other points for you to consider before you make a decision.

Herb
Old 07-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventr
...This van did come with a pallet in the rear cargo area that had a brand new U-Joint Offroad Kit and a D60 Front Axle.

So many choices!
You might want to give Chris (U Joint) a call and discuss the pros and cons about what you have under your rig, and what's in the cargo area of your rig. He may have some other points for you to consider before you make a decision.

Herb

Good point. I'll give him a shout sometime this week to discuss.