Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #1

Quadvan 4x4 build up

Hello,

Just wanted post up our Quadvan build out that was completed this summer.

We started with a 2009 E350EB PS Diesel we found in north eastern Washington. The van was used by an electrical contractor for a short time and only had 14k miles on the clock. The van was nicely equipped with upgraded wheels/tires, shocks, 4" lift, factory LSD out back, tow package, bush whacker flairs, tinted windows. Asking price was very reasonable, so we drove out immediately, and cam home with Her.

This is what we started with:

I gutted the interior of all the work shelves and got rid of the (heavy!) roof rack, and we kept it bare until we had time to plan our build.

In June 2012, we drove from Portland OR to SMB in Fresno Ca (in two days, passing through Yosemite) to have the pop-top added. We hunkered down in Fresno while we waited for the top to be installed. Two days later, we headed back to Oregon, taking our time and camping in various sites in Calif and Oregon.

This is how She looked on our way back:

Stanislaus National Forest, just outside Yosemite

Richardson Grove, Northern Ca, on the Eel river

The stripped interior, just home after installing the top:

The remainder of the year we worked out the details of the build and in November 2012, we dropped our rig off at Van Specialities to start the build. We spec'd a simpler build, with many nice touches: Espar heat and hot water using diesel and alcohol stove means no on-board explosive gases, non-glass insulation.

Some build highlights:
* Interweave fabric covered walls
* Dynamat sound deadening
* Reflectix throughout
* Enguard glass free insulation throughout
* 3/4 Foam insulation boards on the floor
* 1/2 Marine plywood floor
* Split, tip-out window on drivers side
* LED lighting
* Aux battery system with:
- 30 AMP shore power hookup
- 4 stage abttery charger
- 2000 watt inverter
- 2 AGM batteries
* Espar heat with hot water capability
* Gaucho seat/bed
* removable table with TODD marine fittings
* Galley and cabinets
* 2 burner Dometic alcohol stove
* Dometic fridge, 3.8 cu ft
* Captain chairs, passenger swivels
* Pre-wired for solar
* 22 galons on-board waster system, under the gaucho seating/bed

Here are some images to give you an idea of how our build turned out. As you can see we only built storage on the passenger side of the van as part of the galley. We've left the remainder of the space open and generally use plastic storage bins, as needed. In the future, I might build platform in the back, with storage underneath, and space on-top for our two dogs, 28 lbs and 95 lbs, respectively.

So far, we've not camped as much as we'd like, but did manage a 5 day trip for some dispersed camping in southern Oregon. The van was awesome and allowed 4 adults and two dogs to camp quite comfortably! Can not wait for a longer trip!

Cheers,
DJM

djm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #2

Re: Quadvan 4x4 build up

Nice rig bud and Welcome to the club, my rig is at Van Specialties now....I feel like a kid waiting for xmas.

Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #3

Garage

Nice work fellas. Nice conversion with the poptop. Buckkiller I was ogling over your rig the other day. My shop is a mile away from VS and I have known them for years. My rig is going in right after yours for a new bed system. The whole shop loves your rig.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #4

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel
Nice work fellas. Nice conversion with the poptop. Buckkiller I was ogling over your rig the other day. My shop is a mile away from VS and I have known them for years. My rig is going in right after yours for a new bed system. The whole shop loves your rig.
I have to say that Buckkiller's rig is awesome. I especially like the fact that the 4x4 conversion was done by Sportsman 4x4 in Canada. That's where my van was modified. A great bunch of guys there. I like it.
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel
Thanks bud!! Ya they all seem to be impressed with it when I was there. I was very pleased considering they have seen so many conversions over the years.
Buck
Old 09-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #6

Sorry not trying to hijack this thread...

I sent sportsman an email with some newer photos of my rig, they sent me some new decals lol just not sure about putting them on.
Buck
Old 09-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #7

Great looking van djm68! Very nice setup.... I'm sure our vans will cross pass at some point.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #8

Garage

very cool. nice simple buildup. i like the open space for bins. even though nothing is built up in ours, i was planning on leaving space in back for that specific reason. that way depending on what were doing, we can load camping bins or racing bins.

look forward to seeing it in person next year at bogus
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso
Great looking van djm68! Very nice setup.... I'm sure our vans will cross pass at some point.
Thanks Kelso! I read your thread about bullet proofing the 6.0 - that is also on my list of things to do. Would be interesting to know if/when you do that and what options you choose and what shop you go to. I assume from your screen name you are up in Kelso WA?

Cheers,
DJM
djm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #10

Nope, I'm in Portland, OR and Kelso is my name...haha. I decided to install a coolant filtration system and an Edge monitor for starters. I will eventually do more, but with my low mileage, I didn't think it was necessary to do anything else right away. I should be getting it back this weekend or some time next week.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote