Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #1

MG Metalworks Build

Hello everyone!

Another home brewed build thread here... My wife and I ordered our 2013 E-350 Quadvan conversion last November and took delivery in late January. I've knocked a few of the smaller projects off the list so far but this is definitely a long term project. Here's a current pic of the van on a recent trip to the Oregon coast.

Within a few weeks of getting the van, I took out the bench seats and installed Toyota Sienna recliners on custom mounts.

I also had to fab up an extended slider hinge to clear the tires

My wife liked the seats so much that I made some more custom mounts and put the seats in the front too. Passenger side has a swivel

Added a grab handle to help the vertically challenged get in the back

More on the long term side of things... I recently acquired a virtually new 6.7L Cummins engine for the conversion I plan to do. I'll spend the fall/winter gathering all the parts needed and devising my plan of attack for the wiring and electronics integration then in the spring hopefully I'll get going on the installation.

I'm in the process now of designing bumpers, roof rack and various other parts. Interior build out will come after all of the above but I do plan on a pop top and more of a camper type interior. Right now its a people hauler but our plan is to use the van to show our kids the wilderness all across the country (and continent).

Cheers!

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #2

Re: MG Metalworks Build

Welcome!

If you make that Cummins work you will have lots of friends (and customers). The next challenge would be to make it work with a ZF 6-spd. I might stand in line for that.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #3

About time you post your rig here MG, I was wondering why you hadn't.

Rig looks great! I'll let you know when I'm heading over to pick up my rig at VS so we can get together.
Thanks
Buck aka "Steelheadbum"

Ps
Welcome...:mrgreen:
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Welcome!

If you make that Cummins work you will have lots of friends (and customers). The next challenge would be to make it work with a ZF 6-spd. I might stand in line for that.

Mike

Its not "if" I get the Cummins to work! I WILL get the Cummins to work! haha! Honestly, doing a manual 6-speed is way easier from an electronics integration stand point but it isn't without its challenges in other areas. For instance, the clutch pedal wouldn't be very fun to sort out. Doable? Probably...but you may have to make some compromises, especially in ergonomics. You might end up with a really skinny pedal assembly or the pedal at some awkward position. I haven't looked at it that closely because I'm more of an automatic guy. I respect the manual, I owned a manual Super Duty, I just don't care to have another. Happy to figure it out for others though...

Hey Buck! Yeah, let me know when you're coming down! I'm looking forward to seeing the new interior work on your van up close!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #5

Those seats are rad
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #6

Another mod I've been working on is converting the new style ('08-current) Super Duty truck mirrors to work on the van. I think they look way better on the newer body style vans vs. the rounded trailer tow mirrors. Pretty challenging project as most of the internal mount/hinge mechanism had to be redesigned. These particular mirrors have heated defrost, power fold, power telescope and integrated turn signals. I still have a ways to go before I'm done with the project but the most challenging part is almost done thanks to a few rounds of 3D printed parts for testing fit-up and function. This is one of my "rainy day" projects that doesn't get much love on a weekly basis but when I have a few hours to tinker, I try to make a little progress.

before anyone asks...the pics are blurred to cover up the rather crude way I mocked up the mount for test fitting. I didn't want that to be a focal point of the pic.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
Those seats are rad
Mg designed and fab the Sienna seat mounts that Ujoint now owns the rights to bud...he is a beast!! I can't wait to see the seats in person when I pick up my rig.
Buck
Old 09-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #8

Nice work
Those seats look really comfortable
Where did you pick up the grab handle?
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
Nice work
Those seats look really comfortable
Where did you pick up the grab handle?
He fab the grab handle as well....he also fab the new swiveling front base for the sienna seats!! This guy is an animal.
Buck
Old 09-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #10

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
Those seats are rad
weve never met, but i swear we would get along well just by a lot of your responces i see from you... i was going to post the exact same thing. too funny

those seats are rad. what year sienna are they from?

some great fabwork so far, look forward to the rest of your build!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote