Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #1

mobile concept build

this is my new rig. been watching this site for awhile. i bought an e350 and was going to convert it but this came along and had more room.

i'm going to leave it 2wd and add a winch to the front. don't need a real RV or a true offroad camper. just something to get me to some off the beaten bath camping sites to go wheeling.

right now i'm trying to sort it this out. it drives really loose compared to my last e350. not sure if i need stiffer springs or maybe stiffer sways. or just shocks????? anyone have any experience or suggestions with this??

it's nearly empty inside so i got to build it up. i really need two back seats but cant bolt a lap belt to a fiberglass wall. surely thats not safe. any ideas with that would be helpful.

anyway, thanks for the great site. i'll start posting pics as the build comes along.

postaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #2

Re: mobile concept build

Quote:
Originally Posted by postaldave
right now i'm trying to sort it this out. it drives really loose compared to my last e350. not sure if i need stiffer springs or maybe stiffer sways. or just shocks????? anyone have any experience or suggestions with this??

it's nearly empty inside so i got to build it up. i really need two back seats but cant bolt a lap belt to a fiberglass wall. surely thats not safe. any ideas with that would be helpful.
Probably has worn bushings and maybe worn ball joints too. Do yourself a HUGE favor and just do a full new take-out axle swap. $450 from QuadVan or $250 from Quigley (plus ~$150 for a new sway bar). New bigger brakes, all new bushings and ball joints, better radius arm design, more capacity. QuadVan will throw in new shocks too which are pretty decent but don't last long.

For seats.... How about take-out seat with integrated seat-belts like some pickups or minivans? Lap-belts should be anchored to the floor anyways BTW (or to the seat structure which is bolted to the floor).
Old 11-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #3

[/quote]

Probably has worn bushings and maybe worn ball joints too. Do yourself a HUGE favor and just do a full new take-out axle swap. $450 from QuadVan or $250 from Quigley (plus ~$150 for a new sway bar). New bigger brakes, all new bushings and ball joints, better radius arm design, more capacity. QuadVan will throw in new shocks too which are pretty decent but don't last long.

For seats.... How about take-out seat with integrated seat-belts like some pickups or minivans? Lap-belts should be anchored to the floor anyways BTW (or to the seat structure which is bolted to the floor).[/quote]

whats a take out axle swap, why the price dif between the two. i looked at both sites and they sale parts for 4wd, mine is 2wd.

i found a set of toyota mini van seats with intergrated belts on ebay but those are a thousand for the set. surely theres a cheaper way to put safe seats in. bolting to the floor shouldn't be a big deal. i can a mounting plate or bolt to the frame or something..
Old 11-08-2013, 04:18 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

I'm with CarringB on checking-rehabbing the suspension first---don't pass go, don't do nuttin' until that's in top running condition.

I just did a brake upgrade from '03 to '08 and later specs---didn't have the luxury of the complete swap as recommended but even at the higher price quoted its less than I spent by individually sourcing the parts.

Adding new ball joints and all tie rod ends plus a good alignment makes a world of difference. I use Bilstein shocks but any good quality heavy duty brand will do. Since you'll already most likely be in there anyway think about replacing front coils too---Moog for about $75 each ain't a bad price.

Any photos of the existing interior of your rear area yet?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #5

here is the inside right now. not going to make a bathroom but i do need to add a fridge and a heater.
also going to add a AC unit and a generator.

still not understanding this axle swap thing. will a new model e350 work on my year? its a 1998. i finally figure out he was saying those 4wd places will have new take outs laying around.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by postaldave
whats a take out axle swap, why the price dif between the two. i looked at both sites and they sale parts for 4wd, mine is 2wd.

i found a set of toyota mini van seats with intergrated belts on ebay but those are a thousand for the set. surely theres a cheaper way to put safe seats in. bolting to the floor shouldn't be a big deal. i can a mounting plate or bolt to the frame or something..
A take out axle swap is the entire OEM axle with everything you need removed from a newer or new van which is being upgraded to 4WD. When these shops do a 4WD conversion they just remove everything under there at once and replace with 4WD stuff. You most likely won't find this advertised on their websites. You'll have to call them. I'm sure Carringb is right on here, it's a much easier way to upgrade everything, but you either need to travel to get it or expect to pay $$$ to ship an entire axle.

The Nissan seats can be had for more like $600 from a place here people have been talking about

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtop...112094#p112094

They are really nice, but take up lots of space, only come in one color, and may not match your OEM front stuff/interior at all if you care about that. Personally I would go to a few salvage yards and look around at minivan seats. There are absolutely TONS of late model minivans in salvage yards with nice seats, usually the rear captains seats, which will have integrated shoulder belts and lots of them were in gray, blue or tan which will match your vans front interior nicely. You can get the mounting brackets, etc. this way too. If I could do it over again, this is what I would do. I spent way too much time trying to find Ford van front seats to match mine. They just aren't out there. It's the first thing ripped out of most wrecked/salvaged vans, then you still have to work out seat belts. This could involve lots of time and expense building a structure to safely mount seat belts in the walls, then it still won't be as safe or nice as the OEM stuff would. You can't beat auto manufacturers engineering very easily.

I love your platform. I have kept an eye out for a good looking box van like that to build for a long time, but haven't found the right one. You've got the advantage of flat walls, floor and more space than any van. Use it and enjoy it! As a former enduro guy I could make that into a sweet home build camper with a rear garage/work space. You've even got room to stuff a small, cheap fiberglass shower from Lowe's. Add a water pump and a tank under a bed and you've got a nice shower.

Keep us posted, looks like a wicked project
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #7

The new take-out axle fit back to '92. It an easy swap. 3-bolts per radius arm bracket, the pair of I-beam bolts, and the shocks, springs, sway bar, and brake line. (springs can be re-used but yours are probably sagging, and new ones are about $150/pair). The new sway bar is needed because it's a much better design which uses hard end-links instead of having rubber bushings smashed into the axle.

It's way less labor then even doing just the ball joints, plus you get the brakes upgrade as a bonus.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #8

I got my complete front end as a take-off from Quigley. They sell the parts to a local guy who then resells them. I bought the parts for about $325, if I recall correctly, including shocks. I had to buy the front swaybar, a few misc bolts, longer brake hoses. That's about it. I also got the matching OEM 16" alloy wheel and Michelin LTX take offs at the same time. Total was around $1200 for front parts, wheels and tires.

Not sure if the guy is still selling the parts, as I haven't seen him advertising on CL recently. Quigley is about an hour or so from me, so pick up was easy.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #9

got my brackets in today to mount the toyota van seats from ujointoffroad.
they are not cheap but the quality is outstanding.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #10

next on the purchase list is an awning for it.

any suggestions??