Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #1

Floor

Got the front and rear floor rattletrap'd; huge difference in the rear, not so much in the front. I have to figure an effective way of soundproofing the dog house; anyone's input would be highly appreciated.

Put the 1/2" rigid insulation down and also the 1/2 CDX ply. I put a coat of non-slip coating (paint) on for now as I make a final decision on flooring. Ply is carriage bolted down.

Also installed my yakima rack. I was doing a project and needed a ladder and was AMAZED that my 24' extension actually fit IN the van; going on the roof from now on.

Really like these seats for the rear:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141086623348?ss ... 1423.l2649

Can anyone give me some advice on how/what seats to go with? The above look great but no idea how I would adapt them to my van.

Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Floor

Check this thread, and IMO, look for the post with the word Sienna.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #3

Meant to put this in my original build thread. May have to delete and put it there unless that change can be made.

Broncohauler: I have looked at the thread(s) regarding the sienna seats and really like them but they are a little too big for my purposes. I would like to make them as modular as possible so that I can still use the van for cargo needs. - Thanks for the input!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
Site Team

I guess I don't feel too bad then for not actually including the link that I meant to attach.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #5

For doghouse noise, the first step is to make sure the gasket is in good shape and fully seated.

When my van was new I took it in for service and it was extremely noisy when I got it back. At first I thought , maybe I can't remember how loud it was. When I got home I reseated the doghouse gasket and instant quite (relatively quiet anyway). The tech was in too big of a hurry to ensure the doghouse was fully seated on the firewall opening.

After that, do a search here - others have added insulation to the doghouse to reduce sound and heat.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #6

Thanks Mike; I had read that the gasket/gasket connection was the biggest culprit. My gasket itself looks to be in pretty rough shape so I may look at replacing that. I also have some 3/8" closed cell foam weather stripping that I may line the sheetmetal side of that connection with.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #7

The seal on the doghouse is huge and does make a tremendous difference. I purchased an extra insulating kit from a company called Quite Ride Solutions off of the interwebs. It was easy to install and made a noticable difference.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor3633

Can anyone give me some advice on how/what seats to go with? The above look great but no idea how I would adapt them to my van.
Those seats look pretty good. It would help if they would show a pic of the bottom though so you can see possible mounting solutions. I would recommend you find some Ford van bases from a salvage yard. Shouldn't be hard to find the bases. No doubt they will be mounted to some torn up seats that no one wants. The Ford bases can be easily mounted through your floor using good sized bolts (1/2"?) and big washers. I've done it, they are solid this way. I used Ford van front seats in the rear of my last build to give me four matching captain's chairs. They are just bolted to the bases with 4 small bolts so you should be able to fab any seats to the Ford bases pretty easily. Or you could get swivel bases from DiscountVanTruck or Sportsmobile, but be warned they aren't cheap! I have often thought of Windstar rear seats for my next build. You can find them in the color and pattern of your front seats, and they have two armrests and fold flat like the ones you like on Ebay. If you can rip out the whole bases from a salvage van you can make them removable completely from the floor, like they came in the Windstar, but probably a good bit of fab and welding to do this.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH
The seal on the doghouse is huge and does make a tremendous difference. I purchased an extra insulating kit from a company called Quite Ride Solutions off of the interwebs. It was easy to install and made a noticable difference.
I will look into that Whit; thanks for the info.

For now, I just finished cleaning up some of the fireproofing/heat material that Ford installed so that I have a better seal with the existing gasket, and also added a layer of 1/2" closed cell foam weatherstripping. Cleaned up and reinstalled the gasket and went for a test drive... world of difference, the noise level is totally acceptable now! Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 03-05-2014, 06:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor3633

Those seats look pretty good. It would help if they would show a pic of the bottom though so you can see possible mounting solutions. I would recommend you find some Ford van bases from a salvage yard. Shouldn't be hard to find the bases. No doubt they will be mounted to some torn up seats that no one wants. The Ford bases can be easily mounted through your floor using good sized bolts (1/2"?) and big washers. I've done it, they are solid this way. I used Ford van front seats in the rear of my last build to give me four matching captain's chairs. They are just bolted to the bases with 4 small bolts so you should be able to fab any seats to the Ford bases pretty easily. Or you could get swivel bases from DiscountVanTruck or Sportsmobile, but be warned they aren't cheap! I have often thought of Windstar rear seats for my next build. You can find them in the color and pattern of your front seats, and they have two armrests and fold flat like the ones you like on Ebay. If you can rip out the whole bases from a salvage van you can make them removable completely from the floor, like they came in the Windstar, but probably a good bit of fab and welding to do this.

Scotty,
Great tip on the windstar seats; they seem to be plentiful and cheap! Looking in that direction now!