Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #1

Factory rear A/C and heat into an EB cargo

I want to add rear heat and air to my EB cargo. Other than pulling the rear unit behind the wheel well out of a parts van what else is needed? Control panel for dash, lines, t's, etc? Anyone know of any write ups? My van is a '95 if that makes a difference.

89srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:40 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Factory rear A/C and heat into an EB cargo

What sort of budget do you have? How much experience with auto electrical and A/C do you have?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
What sort of budget do you have? How much experience with auto electrical and A/C do you have?
Very good questions. This is pretty extensive as I understand it. I would call Sportsmobile or another big van converter and ask what systems they install for aftermarket rear. My 95 has an aftermarket rear air system that they put in. It might be cheaper and it might be the only way to get all of the lines etc. I do know that the OEM rear air lines (coolant and freon) are put in before the body is put on the frame of a new van, so you may or may not be able to work around that. In other words, I don't think you can pull all the lines off a salvage yard van.

Good luck
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #4

The factory HVAC lines can be R&R'd but its not easy. I had to replace them on my '94, and gave up and had the dealer do it.

Besides the HVAC unit inside the van, you will need to pull the rear orifice tube (just below the evaperator), the entire 4-line tube assembly, and the 3-way expansion valve under the hood, and suction tee. For the heating side of the things, you will need all new heater lines under the hood. I would just buy new, since they are inexpensive of Rock Auto, and get old after a while anyways.

I do not know of the rear HVAC wiring comes on the cargo vans. It does come with all Wagons. The dash wiring is there, you just need to swap HVAC control panels. If the wiring doesn't continue all the way to the back, it probably has an open connector inside the B-pillar.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
As little as possible Hoping for $500 or less.

I can follow a write-up or directions easily, swapping/upgrading parts usually is not a problem for me. As long as I have a manual to follow doing more than a swapping of parts isn't too bad either. I have rebuilt axles (not 3rd members), swapped heads, brakes, bumpers, stereos, etc. Also pulled everything off the top of my 7.3 fuel bowl, turbo, pedestal, VC, VC gaskets, GP, GP relay, alternator, complete exhaust, etc. I am a little apprehensive to dive into complex wiring projects, stereos, etc are no problem, I am just intimidated by things more complex.
I also have access to 3 different ASE mechanics either through work or friends.

I have a factory manual for the van, body, drivetrain and the 7.3 supplement. I had planned on buying as much as possible from the JY. carringb I had seen you post up somewhere before about needing some under the hood lines.
89srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #6

Oe thing to keep in mind.... And leak in an A/C system that lets freon out is also letting moisture and maybe even dust in. These are all contaminates that will plug up the orifice tube, expansion valve, and maybe even the accumulator.

Point is.... Don't use junkyard A/C components unless the system is still sealed, otherwise you may damage what you have now. This may be next to impossible because I think junkyards are supposed to evacuate the freon before letting the public touch the vehicles.

Bigger salvage yards like B&R will pull A/C components upon decommissioning and properly store them. I would be surprised if they did that with a van's rear HVAC parts just because there probably isn't a whole lot of demand for used-part retrofits.

The good news: From what I can see in the Rock Auto catalog, you can buy everything from them EXCEPT the 4-part AC/Heater line assembly that runs front to back, and most of those parts are probably cheaper than some salvage yards (rear heater core is only $30!).

The one saving grace about the HVAC line assembly, is it's just tubes, so you should be able to decontaminate it. Any good machine shop probably has a large solvent or ultrasonic cleaning tank that the assembly can be dipped in. I would't even bother with the more complex parts, since they may not get clean enough and it may end up costing more anyways.

If you go into a Ford parts department during one of their slow times, you can probably sweat talk the sales guy into printing off exploded parts diagrams which have all the part numbers you will need, and show you how it all goes together.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #7

I'd check to make sure the compressor on dual air vans isn't larger. I can't recall for sure but think that on my van's year the rear AC has a larger displacement compressor. It's been years since I saw the specs though.

My van has rear AC and one thing I'll mention is that it takes up considerable room (i.e. - space). And also that because our seating during travel is at front, the rear AC hardly gets used at all. In the 9 or so years I've had the van I've only used it a few times while parked in the sun waiting for someone. And perhaps a few more to help cool the van prior to hooking up at camp site. Knowing what I know today I wouldn't have a rear engine-driven AC. Your circumstances could be very different.

Not knowing what you will use the van for, I'd recommend that you also consider a stand-alone RV air (if you don't have one already) and then run a generator when needed. I did that a few times on a Class C. Again, may not work at all for your use.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #8

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89srule
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
As little as possible Hoping for $500 or less.
It cost me about $800 in parts and labor to have the rear AC/heater REMOVED from my van. My local shop still has the unit if you want it.(but its from a 2009).
Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
My van has rear AC and one thing I'll mention is that it takes up considerable room (i.e. - space). And also that because our seating during travel is at front, the rear AC hardly gets used at all. In the 9 or so years I've had the van I've only used it a few times while parked in the sun waiting for someone. And perhaps a few more to help cool the van prior to hooking up at camp site. Knowing what I know today I wouldn't have a rear engine-driven AC. Your circumstances could be very different.
Agreed, it definitely depends on one's usage and location. I love our factory rear air and heat. It allows me to cool/heat the van more evenly, much more quickly, controlled from the cockpit, and with venting options so the heat/cool air isn't blasting us up front. Granted, we have a EB passenger van we convert to camping so that likely makes a difference in climate control requirements due to insulation and windows.

We had a converted cargo van way back and heating/cooling that volume of space took forever using the engine based system. I personally would not have one of these units without the rear air /heat.

Ray
Old 03-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally

It cost me about $800 in parts and labor to have the rear AC/heater REMOVED from my van. My local shop still has the unit if you want it.(but its from a 2009).
Besides maybe some fitting size differences and maybe some reliability updates, I suspect it would work in an older van. The back half of the vans haven't changed much since 1992. The configuration of the lines under the hood are probably different though.