Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #1

Re-model but found rust

Hi all. Been an SMB owner since '09. Found a good deal on a '92 Ford EB 5.8 v8 with 120K for $5k. Have put some small upgrades on it including a 2" lift, new wheels, front bumper, etc.
It came fully built out from SMB.
Problem is that the MFD was warped from being wet/old, the carpet was terrible. Needless to say i have finally pulled the trigger and wanted to do some panel/cabinet/carpet upgrade.
Couple questions, does the regular EB need the panel cut out for the goucho bed backrest or was that for storing the extra pad?
Also, when I pulled up the plywood floor to clean everything, I noticed some rust at an area that looks to be a frame support. Its not bad now or deep, what should I do to correct this.
We only put about 5K miles on the van each year and would like to get it dialed in to keep for 5 or so years for local trips and the occasional trip to Big Sur from SD.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7061.JPG   IMG_7086.JPG   IMG_7103.JPG  

rogers112869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #2

Re: Re-model but found rust

Update from pulling out the cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7073.JPG  
Old 04-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #3

More demo pix
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7096.JPG   IMG_7098.JPG   IMG_7099.JPG  
Old 04-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #4

Rust Rust Rust, everyone seems to freak out about rust on the west coast. My 2000 has lived in the upper midwest its whole life and is a thousand times worse than yours. I'm guessing that is the first body mount once you open the rear doors? I wouldn't worry about what you have at all. Grind it down and throw some paint on it. If you take a look underneath there is a c-channel type support where this body mount bolts to; under your small area of rust on the top where the bolt head is located is a plate that rides on top of that c-channel. Your sheel metal could totally rot away (like mine) around that body mount and still be fine as long as your c-channel isn't gone. Nice looking rig, it looks like you have a great start. Best of luck.
baw335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #5

I have to agree. That's not bad rust at all. You can treat it with any rust treatment product and carry on. You do not at all have a structural problem.

I'm re-doing a 95 right now. Looks just like that. Old residential insulation, residential crap carpet that looks horrible, and that blue foam glued to the floor and walls too on mine. It's a nasty cleanup but I'm sure you'll be improving it greatly.

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #6

Wow!

You're my hero!

I've been contemplating doing exactly what you've done, but have been lacking the courage...
Curious how much time did it take you to dismantle it all at this point?
Are you planning on keeping the same layout or?

Thanks