Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #1

BUCKSTOP BUMPERS

Hey:

Time to consider a new front bumper for my van. I'm thinking of getting one from Buckstop out in Oregon. Has anyone ordered a bumper from them and if so what was the experience/quality?

I believe it is a bolt on unti

I checked out their bumpers and thinkingh of the BAJA model without the big nose grill

It would have 4 cutouts (2 each side) for RIGID led ligthts and a winch option.

You can see the bumper on their website under photo gallery...it's the two tyop left pics on a black ford.

Comments appreciated

jjtwister

Toyo AT 2's 285/R75-16's
1959 Chevy Apache Hot Rod
jjtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #2

Re: BUCKSTOP BUMPERS

I love my BuckStop bumper. Its designed for animal strikes, which is why I went with them. Powercoat quality was excellent as well. My rear Reunel bumper OTOH, was a bit of a letdown from a quality standpoint.

I also use the front receiver periodically, with up to 800 pounds on it.

I've hit a few trees at low speeds and one large boulder, and it split the boulder. Bumper has nothing more than scuff marks. It's also been backed into a couple times as evidenced by the broken taillights pieces scattered on it.

Also, since I've put it on, I haven't hit anymore deer so it must work!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #3

Can't comment on the ordering as Quadvan installed mine and I went with the aluminum Outback model. We have a lot of deer here in Wisconsin and I wanted more coverage of the front end. It also included a 2" receiver. Really like mine, plus I think it looks cool. I actually stand on mine to get into the engine bay to check fluids and stuff.
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #4

I like the look of their rear bumpers! Would love to pick up a Aluminess but having a tough time justifying the price tag (not that the value isn't there re: aluminess's quality, just a lot of $$).
Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #5

Garage

I also like my Buckstop bumper. I can't speak to the ordering or installation since that was also done by Quadvan. One feature I like is that the grill can be removed without having to unbolt the bumper, which seems like it would come in handy if any major engine work was needed. Mine is steel since aluminum wasn't offered at the time and it is pretty heavy. They can make them with rectangular cans for Rigid LED lights now, too!

Steve in L.A.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #6

I picked mine up at the BuckStop shop. Quick, no hassle. They just forked the pallet into the rental van I had at the time (mine was in for paint). Install was pretty straightforward, but it was heavy enough I used a transmission jack to do it. If you are doing a winch, install the winch first. I though I would be able to stuff it after the fact, but ended up un-installing it to add the winch.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInLA
I also like my Buckstop bumper. I can't speak to the ordering or installation since that was also done by Quadvan. One feature I like is that the grill can be removed without having to unbolt the bumper, which seems like it would come in handy if any major engine work was needed. Mine is steel since aluminum wasn't offered at the time and it is pretty heavy. They can make them with rectangular cans for Rigid LED lights now, too!

Steve in L.A.
Off topic: Your van looks awesome. Love the red paint.

Now, we return you to your regularly scheduled thread....
Old 10-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #8

First post for me after lurking for a while. I really like the looks/features of the Buckstop bumpers and am considering an aluminum model for my new (to me) 04 EB50. The Buckstop website says the recessed openings will house a 6" light. I'd been considering an Aluminess before I discovered Buckstop, and was going to go with the Strikeforce 170's but they're larger than 6". Question for those with Buckstops: what lights are you running in the 6 inch holes? Looking for an offroad driving light. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #9

Rigid LEDs are by far my favorite off-load light. Other LEDs may put on the same lumens for less $, however I think the rigids have the most useful pattern to put light where you need it.

I do still run halogen fogs for snow however, since LEDs can ice up since they don't get warm.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #10

Thanks. Which lights do you have in the cutouts on your bumper?