Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #1

pop out windows

anyone have a source for pop out side windows like this?

looking to put them in the steel barn doors of my 2003 350

ohpyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #2

Re: pop out windows

Found all 4 of mine in the junkyard, even easier to remove on a hot day. Check out row52.com, it's saved me a few trips.
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:16 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Salvage yards are indeed the best place to find these, complete with all mounting and latching hardware too.

Should be available for no more than $35 each if my local DIY yards pricing is consistent across the country.

Easy install too even if someone's not in the auto glass biz.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #4

I have a tutorial on the forum about how to install the pop-out windows. See viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11025&hilit=window

Yes, you'll have to look in in junkyards as they are no longer available new. I've found a few full sets, including side and rear. The rear pop-outs are one of the best mods I've made to my van. Really helps with airflow through the van when driving and I've never noticed any exhaust smells, etc.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #5

Garage

picked up all four of mine at local pick and pulls as well. iirc, a 10mm, a #2 phillips, and a big flatblade was all i used to remove. very straightforward removal and install. hardest part is finding them, lol.

we do however get exhaust fumes when we drive with the rears open, one, the other or both. weve tried all combinations. might be how my exhaust exits, but just be careful. i have a feeling thats why the pop-outs were discontinued for the later years. its easy to smell diesel, regular exhaust is much harder to detect for some.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #6

Shenrie, do you have something different than the factory exhaust? I have a diesel RB and haven't had any issues with fumes yet, I wonder if RB vs EB makes a difference?
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #7

Garage

i do have a aftermarket 4" turbo back. it still exits real close to the factory setup, but the angle is swept back a little. we also angled the exit forward from where the aftermarket exhaust was originally.

you can tell in the pic that the exhaust is staining the body down low right in front of bumper. maybe its catching on the bumper and getting the fumes in the dead air zone behind the van??

we got fumes with the stock exhaust too, so i dont think its the exhaust positioning, but you might be onto something with the rb vs eb, just not sure what the difference would be though? the amount of space it has to get away from the rear of the van?? anyone have any ideas??
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #8

completely excellent info and resources! thanks guys
ohpyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #9

Mine is an EB but a gasser. As I said, no issues on my van, but I guess each is different.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
we do however get exhaust fumes when we drive with the rears open, one, the other or both. weve tried all combinations. might be how my exhaust exits, but just be careful. i have a feeling thats why the pop-outs were discontinued for the later years. its easy to smell diesel, regular exhaust is much harder to detect for some.
This is why they had to stop offering them. I remember Dodge kept them till the end, but added a sticker not to drive with them open. The rear barn doors are huge low pressure area, so exhaust tends to hang out.

Driving with the front windows open also lowers pressure inside the van, because that's another low pressure area. You feel wind with them all the way open, but only because just as much air is exiting.

If you opened only the mid-side window with the rears, you might avoid the exhaust intake.
Attached Thumbnails
JaguarExahighres18cropped.png