Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #1

Discount Van Truck Camper Top

Anybody on here have one of these tops:

http://www.discountvantruck.com/vantops ... topsIN.htm

I am looking at raising my top and considering their 24" or even 32" as an option. If you have one please post some pics! Ultimately I would love to have a top that has a similar/same appearance as the Voyager top and this seems close.

Thanks for the input.

Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #2

Re: Discount Van Truck Camper Top

I'd be willing to bet it's a Fiberine top. I'm not saying that's a problem at all, my top on my CCV conversion was a Fiberine, but I bet Discount gets them from Fiberine.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I'd be willing to bet it's a Fiberine top. I'm not saying that's a problem at all, my top on my CCV conversion was a Fiberine, but I bet Discount gets them from Fiberine.
I thought the same thing Scotty but asked then and they said that "Fiberine was too expensive".
Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 AM   #4

If anyone is looking for fiberglass raised or low profile tops, please let me know. I have been doing a lot of research of what is around (found the actual fabricators) and what they really should cost. There are definitely discounts available for multiple piece buys, so if there are enough of us to put a group buy together we can all benefit. The cost of a top itself is sub $1,000. The killer is freight, and for one piece freight can easy be more than the price of the top.

By far, the most critical data point in a top purchase is proximity to the factory due to freight. Post here, or PM me if you have interest in a top. Let me know where you are and what type of top you are interested in. I would like to know:

extended / regular bed,
For fixed or PH application (CCV has a tall roof PH)
Importance of function over form (how important is how the lines of the top look)
Where you are (if location is in your profile it helps )
How far are you willing to travel to get it.
If fixed: DIY install or have a shop install

As an example: We want a nicely styled (form), full length, approx 12" (measured off the top of drip rail) raised roof with continued slope off the windshield smoothly transitioning to a relatively flat top (function) to allow for solar panel and other roof applications. We would then have CCV use this top for a PH installation.(Needs to be stronger because it is free standing and not attached every three inches as when used as a fixed roof) We then have a number of benefits (albeit compromised) of PH and a fixed. The units we have seen available are about the right height but have quite curved roofs (eg TV style), or are designed for mobility applications which lack virtually any style whatsoever and are usually too tall.

If one looks at the Safari Condo Savanna vans, you will have a really good idea of the top style we want. It does not seem to exist for Ford. If enough people want the same thing, then a mold can be made and we get what we want.

Looking forward to level of interest

Ray
Old 08-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #5

Holy Moly. Makes me want to buy a Chevy.

http://www.safaricondo.com/en/toits#ultra_mince

A DIY kit would be sweet.
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #6

Ray:
I PM'ed you about the group buy.
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
If anyone is looking for fiberglass raised or low profile tops, please let me know. I have been doing a lot of research of what is around (found the actual fabricators) and what they really should cost. There are definitely discounts available for multiple piece buys, so if there are enough of us to put a group buy together we can all benefit. The cost of a top itself is sub $1,000. The killer is freight, and for one piece freight can easy be more than the price of the top.

By far, the most critical data point in a top purchase is proximity to the factory due to freight. Post here, or PM me if you have interest in a top. Let me know where you are and what type of top you are interested in. I would like to know:

extended / regular bed,
For fixed or PH application (CCV has a tall roof PH)
Importance of function over form (how important is how the lines of the top look)
Where you are (if location is in your profile it helps )
How far are you willing to travel to get it.
If fixed: DIY install or have a shop install

As an example: We want a nicely styled (form), full length, approx 12" (measured off the top of drip rail) raised roof with continued slope off the windshield smoothly transitioning to a relatively flat top (function) to allow for solar panel and other roof applications. We would then have CCV use this top for a PH installation.(Needs to be stronger because it is free standing and not attached every three inches as when used as a fixed roof) We then have a number of benefits (albeit compromised) of PH and a fixed. The units we have seen available are about the right height but have quite curved roofs (eg TV style), or are designed for mobility applications which lack virtually any style whatsoever and are usually too tall.

If one looks at the Safari Condo Savanna vans, you will have a really good idea of the top style we want. It does not seem to exist for Ford. If enough people want the same thing, then a mold can be made and we get what we want.

Looking forward to level of interest

Ray
Brit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #7

Well I did speak with the company Ray recommended and while the prices for toppers are great, shipping is totally cost prohibitive (1.5x top cost). Looking forward to seeing how the group buy thing pans out but seems like we are all looking for different things.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:58 AM   #8

I think freight can be brought under control if we can pick up four to six at one time. These things can stack, so it then becomes a matter of where everyone is for drop off or meet to pick up your unit. The pricing for 1 vs 5 is really insignificantly different, it is, as you said the freight that is the killer. I am still trying to source the style I want. I sent an email to BW tonight with pics of what we are looking for. We prefer the roof on the black van, but the white one would be acceptable as well. If anyone knows who makes the tops for the Explorer Van conversions, I think I will have found the source. Maybe John @ QuadVan knows who did the white one.

Attached Thumbnails
2008_Ford_4X4_E_350_Van  Top.jpg   Ford Van Top_2.JPG