Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #1

FNG tries again. Ford E350

Mods, if you find this thread redundant, feel free to merge it with the original. Just figured it wouldn't make sense to keep going with a GMC thread when I'm now building out a Ford.

So yup, it's me again. The Savana didn't work out: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14728

If you'd like to read why, scroll down past the first part until you start seeing van references in this post on my website: http://lowgravityascents.com/2014/10/28 ... ur-losses/

If you're not the reading type, here's the video of my new van, a 2004 Ford E350 with the 6.0L turbo diesel and only 163k miles. If you watch the video and hear me reference "reading on the forums" (or some such thing), that would be this wonderful place.

[youtube:3jlys06x]

sandeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #2

Re: FNG tries again. Ford E350

Bummer on the Savanna, but good luck with the Ford!

And, look on the bright side: you're not a "FNG" anymore. Now you are an experienced van guy on his second van!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #3

It has Rear heat/AC, somewhat rare in a cargo, NICE!
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #4

Sweet van! I'm not gonna bash the 6.0, but I would recommend you to do the necessary upgrades (as your budget affords) so you can trust it. I really love that it's a cargo with PW/PDL/cruise, etc. It's a super canvas for a luxurious stealth camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Is that rear heat only, or rear heat/AC? If it is AC too, I would strongly urge you to keep an eye out in salvage yards for a wrecked van with the complete headliner still intact. I notice yours doesn't have the roof vents, which make all the difference for rear air. The factory Ford rear air works very well blowing down from the ceiling. If you could find one with rear A/C in a yard, drop the headliner and grab all the ductwork and vents and install them in yours, then you'll have a pretty impressive climate control system. That whole setup would cost you basically nothing from a salvage yard and it would be much easier to do before you start building out the interior of the van.

Good luck and keep posting those great videos.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #5

Garage

^^^ unless hes doing a poptop...

i didnt know rear ac/heat was rare in cargos till i visited derek on our way home from picking up our van. he said it was the first time he had seen a setup like that. bonus! both the rear ac and heat work really good and im glad i ended up with them. only drawback is all the piping for both units is in the way of the free propane tank i ended up with (7gallon). still trying to figure out what my plans are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
...And, look on the bright side: you're not a "FNG" anymore. Now you are an experienced van guy on his second van!
dammit, does that mean if i stick with my first van imma fng for life??

nice pickup sandeld and also sorry to hear about the first go round. hope you have better luck with this one!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty

Quote:
Is that rear heat only, or rear heat/AC? If it is AC too, I would strongly urge you to keep an eye out in salvage yards for a wrecked van with the complete headliner still intact. I notice yours doesn't have the roof vents, which make all the difference for rear air. The factory Ford rear air works very well blowing down from the ceiling. If you could find one with rear A/C in a yard, drop the headliner and grab all the ductwork and vents and install them in yours, then you'll have a pretty impressive climate control system. That whole setup would cost you basically nothing from a salvage yard and it would be much easier to do before you start building out the interior of the van.

Good luck and keep posting those great videos.

It's heat and A/C. I've already removed the headliner and probably won't put any ductwork up there. I'm insulating the ceiling and can't really afford the space/headroom for such luxury items?

But, I have already considered that I want access to that rear HVAC and devised a layout around it. It won't be ideal, but it's still usable. (At least on paper)
Old 10-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #7

The AC ductwork is built into the headliner. It's actually an integral part of the headliner. I chopped away 90% of the ductwork/headliner when installing the PH.

Shenrie: There is a new thread by rockbender about installing his propane tank here:

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14865

I've been measuring and the Manchester 10" dia tanks would be a tight squeeze with the refrigerant lines on the drivers side. Rockbender picked up a Manchester 8" dia tank from GoWesty; I thinkin' that's going to be my approach as well. They are available in two lengths (23" and 32") just like the 10" dia tanks, just a bit less capacity.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:43 PM   #8

Can I just say that I HATE the GoWesty website?

it's like they didn't have an engineer or someone with an eye towards marketing and sales write their technical marketing and sales copy. How infuriating.

I'm interested in the 8" x 30-something" tank, but A) I can't figure out which one that is, and B) I don't think that capacity is big enough for me.

Is it this one? http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details. ... parent_id=
Old 10-30-2014, 01:06 AM   #9

This is the 8"x32" tank, 5.9 gal:
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details. ... parent_id=

Alternatively, you could get the vanagon Larger Capacity tank kit - it is the same tank as above, but comes with a regulator, some brackets, and the gauge for the tank for an additional $80.

When I figure out my mounting I will try to get some photos posted up. I think this should be a decent size tank to work with.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:30 AM   #10

Garage

^^^ i miss seeing the old pic of your rig in your avatar

Quote:
Shenrie: There is a new thread by rockbender about installing his propane tank here:
yep, seen that, but thanks for the link been watching to see if it heads a direction that will end up helping me, lol. main issue is that im a cheap ass. i was given a 7 gallon dot approved tank, but the ac and heater lines are in the way of an easy install, or it would already be done. a smart man would buy the appropriate sized tank...i might just reroute the lines. sadly, an unexpected home disaster has money allotted for my espar & propane tank install going to kitchen renovation
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote