Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #1

3 year review of 2wd lift kit and tire/wheel choice.

Almost 3 years go, I did a lengthy post on the install and review of the Action Van 2wd lift kit. seen here viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8984
After 3 years of use, here is what I have found. Also I spent a good deal of time researching the tire/ wheel size and offset, so I included a bit about that.

So I have had the lift kit on my van for almost 3 years now. The van is my daily driver, so I have put more than a few miles on it since the lift kit has been installed. I must say that I am just as happy with the lift kit today as I was with it 3 years ago. So much so that I will be handing down the van to my 16 year old son for his first vehicle. Shortly after the lift kit was installed I put new rims and tires on the van (more on that below) I had the van aligned by Big-O when they put the tires on. Nothing fancy, just a basic alignment. The van has tracked perfectly, no pulling to either side and with recommended tire rotations and balancing, no uneven wear on the tires at all. The only thing I noticed was when I put the more aggressive/ larger tires on that it does want to fallow uneven or grooved areas of the pavement more.
As far as the tire and wheel combo I chose; I spent way more time researching the best size tire and rim combo and best off set of the rim than I care to admit. So I hope this saves you some time.
The rims that I went with was a 17"x9" with a -12mm off set. The first set of tires I installed were 285-70-17, which looked great and was what I really wanted. They filled up the wheel well gap the best but at full turn of the steering wheel the tread on the tire would catch the fender lip, so I ended up going with a 265-70-17 load rang E. This gave me a all around best look/ drivability combo.
I didn't do any re-gearing of the rear end and it's been fine with this set up but any bigger tires I would say you will need to. At speeds below 45mph the speedometer is close to dead on by the time I get to 70mph on my speedometer I am doing 74 to 75mph.
I hope all this has helped and as always feel free to ask any questions you may have.

time2mtbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: 3 year review of 2wd lift kit and tire/wheel choice.

Your kid is lucky. I wish my folks would have handed down such a nice campin rig to me when I was young.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:38 PM   #3

Good review!

and as mentioned One lucky/spoiled son you got there
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Your kid is lucky. I wish my folks would have handed down such a nice campin rig to me when I was young.
Camping rig? When I was that age, the last thing I wanted a van for was camping. When I got my first one, and showed up at my girlfriends house with it, her folks wouldn't let her go anywhere in it as they thought I had other things in mind, (and boy, were they right)! They didn't stop us though............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote