Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2015, 05:20 AM   #1
Bee

Window Cutout Tool

What tool is being used here? Is it an air chisel?
http://youtu.be/wInS6jVCnKM

What tool did you use to cut out the hole for your van windows? Share your experience. Problems? Tips? Also, my window didn't come with a trace cutout. Did you have to make your own?

My 2 windows arrived today CrLaurence VW8209 going into side panels of my 2006 Ford E250 Cargo.

Feel free to get detailed and post pictures/videos! This is the 1 DIY I don't want to Phó Cup on.

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:22 AM   #2
Bee

Re: Window Cutout Tool

Link to the windows I bought. Bought 2. 1 for each side of the bench seat I'll be installing.
http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showl ... delID=2394

I chose a window that would be the closest to fitting in these panel spaces, that had the ability to open with a screen. Pictured is where one will go on the driver side of the van.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:26 AM   #3

Garage

i think the tool being used in that video is called a knibbler. works great if you dont have a second layer of metal to contend with.

i just installed a crl window a couple of weeks ago. all i used for install was a ladder, a sharpie and a cutoff wheel with a 4" disc. i took a few pix along the way...but im being lazy and just quoting from my build thread. if you have questions, ask away. ill do my best to answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
first order of business, determine placement. i wanted to mimic the oem passenger window setup as close as possible. so with a buddies help, we got it measured up and traced onto van.

first cut to remove skin.

then removed inner structure supports.

heres a few pix of the window. its a sandwich style setup. really similar to how a sunroof installs.

both pieces.

inner piece.

outer.

the two larger flanges seat opposite of each other on each side of the outer skin on van. nice and simple.

i didnt want to cut a hole inside larger enough to fit the inside piece, i assume this was procedure since there was zero install instructions and the inner piece had a cut in it so you could manipulate it into place.

putting inner piece into place.

in place.

marko my window guy supplied me with a tube of window urethane and told me to tape up the window like this for easier cleanup.

i gooed up the window. used 3/4's of the tube, so i knew it would seal with one try and slapped it into place.

finished product

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:37 AM   #4

We installed ours with a jigsaw (exterior) and an air saw (interior). Our van came with small windows so we had to place our new ones in those locations.

We have a blog entry detailing our process: Window Install

-John
Old 02-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #5

Another vote for the jigsaw. After tracing the cutout I drilled the corners so that I could figure out where to cut my interior panels. The interior panels needed to be cut first so that the jigsaw blade didn't snag or hit when the final finished cut was made. I cut the interior with a cut off wheel on a 4 1/2 " grinder. I at first tried the cutoff wheel on the exterior but it was getting way to hot and therefore burning my paint. There are many ways to do it just experiment within interior of your cutout drawing and find out what works best for you.
thestoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
Bee

Did anyone's cuts end up too small or too large? How did you correct it if so? I'd like to know scenarios that didn't work out perfectly as planned. Also, did yours come with stencils for tracing your cut out?
Old 02-27-2015, 09:35 AM   #7

Garage

no instructions or stencils came with the window i bought. we held the actual window in place and used it as the stencil for the initial cut.

when doing a unreversible mod like this, i always cut the hole a little smaller and remove a little at a time if it doesnt fit first try. me cutting a perfectly straight line is a joke, even with a guideline. so i followed the line we made as close as possible, then just had to remove a few spots to clearance for the window. before i added the urethane i put a few screws in place and got it sitting where i wanted it to sit to make sure the window was level. once i knew it sat where i wanted it, i added the goo and made it permanent.

oh, and i did use a holesaw in each corner to help with the radius cuts.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #8

Bee: You already have my recommendation on the 4.5" Makita Paddle Switch Angle Grinder to buy.*
But I wouldn't want to learn how to use an angle grinder while doing this project. An angle grinder with a cutting wheel is a great cutting tool, but it is a spinning w-h-e-e-l. Wheel's roll and a wheel spinning at 10,000 rpm rolls fast and can get away from you scarring your van's exterior. So I vote for the jigsaw for most of this project. Home Depot sells a knock off of the Bosch roller assisted blade jigsaw with an integral light which with a fine tooth (high number teeth) metal blade should work well for you.** To avoid scratching your paint, put a layer of 2" cellophane tape on the bottom of the foot before use. To start the saw you first drill a hole a diameter larger than your jigsaw blade is wide put the jigsaw blade in the hole and go. Forget about cordless. Buy corded tools, except for an impact hammer drill and a regular drill, I personally prefer corded tools because they generally smaller, lighter, are more powerful, run as long as you pay your electric bill, and generally are more manuverable (impact hammer drill and a regular drill excepted).

* http://www.amazon.com/Makita-9557PB-.../dp/B0009OR8XO

** http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-4-8...481L/202854039

To quote 86Scotty: "Tools make me happy."
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
when doing a unreversible mod like this, i always cut the hole a little smaller and remove a little at a time if it doesnt fit first try. me cutting a perfectly straight line is a joke, even with a guideline. so i followed the line we made as close as possible, then just had to remove a few spots to clearance for the window.
Exactly this!

Our windows did come with a template, I asked for one from SMB Texas when I ordered them. We took our time to trim and file as needed, stepping back for breaks and to keep a slow deliberate pace.

-John
Old 02-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #10

shenrie: Your suggestion of an appropriate size hole saw to radius the corners before cutting the sides is spot on.

BTW, I cannot cut a straight line either so for plywood I pony clamp either a 4 foot or an 8 foot Empire ruler as a straight edge before circular sawing. Gives me a straigher edge than my table saw. And use a triangular straight edge for posts when I can't use a miter saw.

With that in mind, do you or any body else know of a magnetic straight edge which would work for the same purpose on metal?

Finally, you guys and gals who have done windows, I noticed that Bee is installing a "flat" window. Will that install on the E-Series? Just curious.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote