Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
Bee

Interior side carpeting/fabric into reflectex or plywood?

2006 Ford E250 extended length cargo van with 2 custom added windows in the back. Reflex is installed now with 3M Hi-Strength 90 spray glue. Can I add side fabric over that? Has anyone done that? The panels will only take away inches of side room which makes a difference when you're lying crossways in the back at 5'11". I do have 1/4" plywood if that's necessary though. Just wondering what people's experiences are. Also, which fabric did you use and your experience with it. Installing and likes/dislikes with it.

Essentially, I'd rather skip the plywood if possible. Later when my van money grows, I'll add a poptop.

Thanks.

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #2

Re: Interior side carpeting/fabric into reflectex or plywood

I put blue sweatpants material right on top of the reflectix with DAP contact cement. it looks good from 5 feet away but any closer it looks sort of lumpy. if you're looking for a smooth finish I wouldn't recommend it.
as for the insulation value, its not bad, but doesn't do the job as much as I was hoping for.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
I put blue sweatpants material right on top of the reflectix with DAP contact cement. it looks good from 5 feet away but any closer it looks sort of lumpy. if you're looking for a smooth finish I wouldn't recommend it.
as for the insulation value, its not bad, but doesn't do the job as much as I was hoping for.
What did you use to adhere the reflectex to the walls with? Same stuff as you used for the fabric to the reflectex? Any issues with it coming off due to heat? Any pictures or a thread with pictures?

Thanks!
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #4

The 3M spray adhesive you used is the right thing to use. I recommend the paneling. Reflectix ideally needs a little airspace to do it's job properly.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #5

DAP contact cement IMHO works better than any spray adhesive out there. no issues with it peeling, coming off, whatsoever, just apply it with a paintbrush.

if I remember tomorrow in the sunlight I'll try to get a picture but to be honest with you it is not very picture worthy. I did it as an experiment to see if it would work and it has just didn't meet my expectations.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #6

I've been trying to take pictures over the past two days for you but none of them are coming out worthy of posting, trust me it doesn't look bad but far from high quality. if you know what I mean