Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #1

Ultra Long Slow '88 E-350 Build

Figured its about time I quit lurking and post, so I can start figuring this thing out. Its in need of some Major rust repair but I'm hoping to be able to turn some of that to my advantage; Now on the story, I got it from a neighbor for 350$ its been sitting for ~5 years before that he used it to run Hotshot from KY to wherever IL, OH etc..

Some quick crappy pics I got just before I left for work. (28/14 schedule) its got a 351 c6 combo.

Drivers side interior

My ultimate goal is a "Transformer" style/ DD so I want to keep as much interior space as possible so that if wanted/ needed I could fit 4x8 sheets of whatever my little heart desires from the big box stores..

'88 E350 EB

'87 Ranger waiting 6.5 4x4 w/ sas swap
Dragogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Ultra Long Slow '88 E-350 Build

Congrats. That's going to need some serious buffing.

Can't wait to see your build.

Herb
Old 04-17-2015, 10:05 PM   #3

Thanks and yeah, I hoping that I can cut out most of the cancer n the drivers side to make room for a LPG tank as well as house batteries or a water tank.

I'll update this more when I get home..

'88 E350 EB

Old 04-18-2015, 05:31 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

As a former body shop owner and completely without offense you certainly could---or should---find a better starting point. The amount of rust shown along the left side is pretty much fatal IMHO. Anticipating the labor alone gives me the Willies.

The cost was certainly cheap enough but even so the end results won't justify what's ahead of you. Not trying to discourage someone but practicality does have to be brought up.

Glad to have you out in the open now though.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #5

I would be very concerned about the amount of rust on the frame and suspension parts. Here in Alaska, when the body panels get to that state, the frame is usually ready to break in half, it happens all the time. I gave away one I had with a full warning to the new owner about the rust, but he drove it for a couple weeks until a suspension part failed and put him in the ditch on a busy highway. He was very lucky. Here is a typical example of what we see all the time, note in the photo that the bed is sagging due to a broken frame

http://juneau.craigslist.org/cto/497793 ... ...........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
As a former body shop owner and completely without offense you certainly could---or should---find a better starting point. The amount of rust shown along the left side is pretty much fatal IMHO. Anticipating the labor alone gives me the Willies.

The cost was certainly cheap enough but even so the end results won't justify what's ahead of you. Not trying to discourage someone but practicality does have to be brought up.

Glad to have you out in the open now though.
Absolutely none taken, thanks and yeah when I first looked at it the drivers side was up against a fence so I couldn't see it but yeah. I will be going over it better to if the frame is toast or not worst case I can always take it across the scales.

The other issue is I really don't want anything newer than a '92 and finding one on CL that's a E-350 is almost like trying to look for hens teeth..

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller
I would be very concerned about the amount of rust on the frame and suspension parts. Here in Alaska, when the body panels get to that state, the frame is usually ready to break in half, it happens all the time. I gave away one I had with a full warning to the new owner about the rust, but he drove it for a couple weeks until a suspension part failed and put him in the ditch on a busy highway. He was very lucky. Here is a typical example of what we see all the time, note in the photo that the bed is sagging due to a broken frame

l......................
Yeah I will definitely be taking a closer look at the frame to see how bad it is, I just didn't have the time to be able to get under it..

'88 E350 EB