Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #1

Recommendations on our first build out

My wife and I have been wanting a sportsmobile for ever, but can't afford a fully built out one; furthermore, we are both very crafty and would love to build/craft as much as we can of the inside. With that said, we realize that some features we really want may require SMB's help - I am reaching out to the community on some guidance for the best route to go.

- We live in Colorado but do not plan extended trip in the middle of winter - average trip length would be 2 to 3 days => pop top would be ok, AC is not needed, while it'd be great, we can do without the 4x4
- we currently just have a dog but will have a kid or 2 in the next 5 years (hopefully) => we would need more than 2 seats

2 routes I could think of are:
- work off a sprinter van (I can probably do everything myself on it) : the issue I have is with the seats situation : I don't know if the sprint can come with "benches" at the front instead of individual seats, or if can have 1 to 2 removable back seats (captain seat), or build a bench for passengers to seat on at the back.

- purchase a used ford 250 or 350 and have SMB install a pop-top and maybe a bench at the rear of the vehicule (again : I don't know if it's something I can do myself with regard to the law/ease of doing it)

* What are your thoughts?
* How do you usually handle extra seats (with seatbelts for driving) ?
* Is there any legal matters I should be concerned with (with regard to the seats or even adding a vent in the roof or adding windows)

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Nassim

nkammah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:59 PM   #2

Re: Recommendations on our first build out

If you buy a sprinter "crew van" it comes with a bench seat for three people behind the drivers and passenger seats.
The bench seat has LATCH or ISOFIX on the two outboard positions for your future child carseats.
These seats can be added to a cargo van sprinter as well.
Sprinter-source.com for sprinter info including DIY camper conversions.
Not saying a sprinter is best for your needs, just putting the information out there
Onefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:33 PM   #3

You live in Colorado, for pop-top go with Colorado Camper Van top. They have a much better top, imho, for the $$. After doing LOTS of research, CCV is the way we went on our new build.

Our 2003 e350 low mi v10 4x4 15 pass / transformer camper van will be for sale soon. No pop top, but lots of other stuff. And very clean and comfortable for camping. May be a good starter, pm me if you are interested.

Ray
Old 08-17-2015, 12:25 AM   #4

I've seen both of 1der's vans in person. The CCV pop top is pretty amazing. It's no wonder that rallypanam is out in CO right now converting his van to the same top.

If I was the home-build type, I would have already bought 1der's van that he has for sale.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:36 AM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Recommendations on our first build out

No brainer, you live in snow country, work off of a Ford E350 and go with a CCV insulated canvas top, it'll afford you to extend your camping season, he's up in Loveland. If you haven't followed, I swapped my SMB top for one and have been more than happy with the choice. CCV or Boulder Off Road can hook you up with 4X4 if you don't end up with 1der's old van[emoji106]
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #6

Wow - thanks a lot for the recommendations. I reached out to Derek this morning, we'll see when he gets back to me This is all very exciting
Old 08-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #7

We had sportsmobile west (.Fresno) install a pop-top in our 2014 sprinter.
Based on our experience, I would NOT recommend using them for a top or build out.
I'd also second the Ford 4x4 vs. the sprinter platform for Colorado.
I often think of selling our van and starting again with a ford e350.
Onefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #8

Just my out loud thinking...

Since you'll be investing a lot of $, why not start with the platform that can handle the most modifications?
While the sprinter offers the most usable space and fuel economy, it has limitations in the 4x4 world. Since your in Colorado, I would think the E350 would be the better starting point.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:49 PM   #9

Speaking of 4x4 vans : if I am not necessarily going to go off-roading a lot (parking lots more than off-road), is the 4x4 really justified in CO, even with a bit of snow?
Old 08-18-2015, 05:03 PM   #10

Garage

If you want real seats for 4 and real camping for 4, plus a dog, should consider an EB.