Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #1

Down, but not out, in Portland

On a cross-country. Part of my agenda was to bring the van in to Quadvan. It's been a couple of years and I wanted John to listen to a small noise that developed in the drivetrain. Not a big deal, but I wanted to get it looked at and I wanted to maybe get some new shocks. I told him I'd come by this coming Monday.

I got in town today and thought, let me get my oil changed at Northside Ford, where I bought the van. They changed it and then the tech told me that the rear pinion seal was blown and was slinging oil around. He also said it was still mainly full of oil, which was odd. He also said there were some big pieces of metal stuck to the diff cap when he checked the fluid. I have an Eaton Truetrac in there and someone once said they saw shavings at 40,000 miles, but it has been fine and now has 105,000 miles.

Anyway, the timing - and I am looking at the positive here - is great. I'm supposed to see John on Monday, anyway. I'm afraid now that I might have to leave it for a day or two, though, and praying it's just the seal and nothing else with the rear end. On top of that, I'm in a motel in the industrial section AND I don't want to drive around because it now seems to be dripping every time I drive it. Oh well, I'll just wait until Monday, take the 5 minute drive to Quadvan, and take it from there. If, for some reason, he can't take me, I'll have Ford do it, but I'd much rather have John do it and I'm hoping he can get me on a lift.

Anybody in Portland wants to say hi, PM me. Hope you are all well.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #2

Re: Down, but not out, in Portland

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope everything goes well Monday.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #3

Thanks. I've gotten lot of problem-free miles out of this van. At over 100K, I guess I can expect to repair a few things.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #4

Garage

Yes quadvan is in an inhospitable part of Portland... Should be city busses going through though. Check out 21st St. Area near Providence.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #5

This is why I love Quadvan. I just went by and had a great chat with John and a few other guys who were hanging out with their vans. He then took a long test drive with me and completely heard what I was talking about and identified another driveline issue. They've got the van and hopefully they can get it done in the next day or two. There is no replacement for being able to trust somebody's work. What I need to do down the road is find another local mechanic back home, as I will not go to Meadowlands Ford anymore. i'll keep you posted, but so far, so good.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:44 PM   #6

More good news - the metal shavings in my rear diff were from the shims on the ring and pinion. I hope I'm getting that right. John showed me them, but my brain is fried. He sent both driveshafts out to be "freshened up" and I'm getting new shocks all around. So far, so good. As always, Quadvan comes through for me. Interesting to see his work on the new Transit. My dream is still to get an E-450 cutaway box truck and build it into a rolling house/office.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #7

I have not had a chance to post as my dog got sick, I found out it was actually advanced cancer, and I put him down a few days ago. He was a good dog and a good road buddy. We logged over 180,000 miles together, between the Tacoma and the van. It's been a rough two weeks.

I wanted to update on my Quadvan experience, though. John sent the two driveshafts out and I believe they were the real culprit behind my driveline issues. I also got a bunch of new steering and front-end components to replace some worn-out ones of mine and to upgrade others.

Last, I got a new complement of front shocks - Bilsteins that are valved according to some input from him - and the van rides better than ever. Much better, actually. I had been wavering, for money reasons, especially, about keeping it but, after this trip, I made a commitment to hold on to her for the foreseeable future, and not because I just sank a bunch of bread into it. I just enjoy the thing and it's giving me good times. Plus, replacing it would cost a lot more than maintaining it.

Anyway, I'm super happy with the ride and am already compiling a list of small things I want done next May, god-willing, when I hope to get out there again.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #8

Location: Bay Area, CA by necessity - Sun Valley, ID if I had a choice.

Wow, losing your travel buddy while on a roadtrip must be tough. Sorry for your loss.

~Peter
Old 10-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #9

not quite. Luckily, I decided to cut the trip short and made a beeline home. I had about three or four days were he was pretty much OK at home. It was his home vet who diagnosed it. The three days before he deteriorated were really a gift and he got to be at home when he died. I'm grateful for that. I am really grateful I decided to haul ass home.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat
not quite. Luckily, I decided to cut the trip short and made a beeline home. I had about three or four days were he was pretty much OK at home. It was his home vet who diagnosed it. The three days before he deteriorated were really a gift and he got to be at home when he died. I'm grateful for that. I am really grateful I decided to haul ass home.

Dude....that's tough stuff....my condolences....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote