Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #1

CCV Insulated Pop Top?

Worth the extra $900?

I live in CO and probably wouldn't use it much, if at all, in the winter, but spring and fall overnight temps can be pretty cold, especially at elevation.

Anyone get it and regret it?
Or not gotten it and wish you had?

Anyone spent any time in both, and able to do an apples-apples comparison?

MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #2

Re: CCV Insulated Pop Top?

We opted for the insulated canvas. My wife also questioned whether we really needed it or not, but I think it is one of those things that we would probably kick ourselves for later down the road. We opted not to insulate the top itself to save a few bucks... and if I had to do it over again I think I probably would have just done that too.

Hopefully those folks that have been to the CCV shop can chime in on the feel between the two different materials.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #3

I think it's worth it, and have it on mine, but can't compare it to anything other than the SMB top.. And it definitely seems to be much better than that.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb

We were just on a short vaca to SW Colo and Utah...it got pretty chilly one night and the furnace kicked on quite a few timesper hour (set on 50)...the next few nights, we put some newspapers in the windows (then zipped themup) used some of our extra curtains and towels and made a double layer around the interior canvas/windows and it kept the inside much more toasty! We had the heat kick on once or twice the whole night...spend it, do it, whatever makes you smile, b/c it is small in cost in comparison to the whole package, but will pay for itself in YOUR PERSONAL COMFORT!!!! You might surprise yourself and camp up north in northern lights areas or late fall/early spring dates...less people crowding up the areas during those times too! Good luck and let us know what you did!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #5

Sort of on topic. It took exactly 1 night of camping in sub-freezing temps with a "45 degree" sleeping bag for me to decide that a better insulated bag was worth whatever it cost. I had to get up every 45 minutes or so and do jumping jacks to keep from freezing. One of the worst nights camping of my life. $400 later, I had a proper down bag that I could trust would keep me comfy when motorcycle camping, where I do not have the option of grabbing another blanket or starting up the van to get the heater running.

Clearly it isn't as big of an inconvenience in the van, but given the option, I'd always pay extra for better insulation. Money aside, I can't think of a situation where you'd ever want LESS insulation in the van.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:01 PM   #6

We have the insulated canvas on ours. I'm not super sold on it, but I wouldn't want to go without it.
Waterski02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:14 PM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Hmmm....we find it works pretty well, certainly better than the SMB canvas, we've been able to extend our camping season when the temps drop. Derek's non insulated canvas is just a single layer of the same material used in the insulated canvas, which is a nylon coated material, so already an improvement over the SMB canvas keeping out the cold especially when it's blowing out. He adds a thin foam material in between the 2 layers on the insulated package, not only does the insulated package help with retaining heat/keeping cold out, it helps reduce outside noise as well, that was a welcome bonus for sure. I say go for it!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorieSugg
Worth the extra $900?

Other than the $900, whats the down side? More weight, harder to stow? I vote for insulation, you only get one chance to get it without spending a lot more later. Despite doing most of your camping in mild weather, it will only take one really cold and unexpected night to be glad you have some additional insulation. Heck, just about every build we read here is insulated as much as possible. And then there is a possibly better resale, it's got to be quieter, and what about when it's really hot, might help there too. I'd sure wish my top had some insultation.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:43 AM   #9

If we had bought new, and knowing what I know now, I'd definitely spend the bucks if SMB offered it. (We have an SMB, not a CCV.)

I almost always sleep in the PH, and I often am freezing my tail off while the downstairs is comfy.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:21 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Insulation isn't just for keeping out the cold----helps keep heat out too!

Were it me the minor extra cost and weight would be greatly offset by the longer term benefit. Like others have shared deciding to add it later on would far exceed the cost having it installed from the beginning.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote