Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 06:18 AM   #1

New 1994 e150 build

Hi guys! I recently bought a 1994 e150 302 Mark III conversion van. I don't really know what I'm doing, but would like to build a minimalist RV. JWA was kind enough to invite me here.

I started by ripping out some side paneling on the driver's side in hopes of finding a blown fuse for the sofabed. So far all inline fuses appear intact except for the rear AC fuse (15A), which had melted.

I'd like to get some advice on what to replace the wall panels with. So far I'm thinking Dynamat with a fabric covering or a mega van mat carpet style covering.

Thanks!!

danmaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #2

Re: New 1994 e150 build

Looks like you are off to a great start. Make sure the cooler is full of beer first.
redtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #3

Getting mail delivered to the van is a great idea. Hope you have a good time with your build.

A melted fuse is not a good sign. What ever electrical device it goes to will probably need to be replaced.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:02 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
Getting mail delivered to the van is a great idea. Hope you have a good time with your build.
When I first saw this opening photo on FTE I said it raised more questions than it answered.

I'll trade some info for those Tiki heads----unless they're already claimed? They intrigue me for some reason.

Depending what you need or want regarding the new wall coverings---what's in your mind? Will it be to maximize insulation values, reduce noise---those sorts of factors pretty much dictate my suggestions.

I run a work only cargo van so building my walls began with a double layer of radiant barrier insulation, filling available lower body side cavities with unfaced fiberglas insulation before covering everything with plastic panels attached to the inner vertical ribs. R-11 unfaced insulation was added between the paneling and body skin. As it sits now its tough enough for work and has good R-value for a van.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:13 AM   #5

Quote:
I'll trade some info for those Tiki heads----unless they're already claimed? They intrigue me for some reason.
At the moment I would like to keep them - they intrigue me too - they almost ended up at Habitat for humanity along with the hardwood ... but as I had one in my arms I turned right around and thought ... not yet. I am in Charleston SC so not sure how much shipping would be to ... ? Road trip ?

I made camping rez with my son for this weekend so for the moment I ripped out the paneling and insulation. I then bought 7 yards (really 14 since it was folded) of black felt and a glue gun to cover up the bare walls. I cable tied some of the wires and rear ac ducting to points in the walls. I think it will look decent.

I had considered Dynamat, fatmat, or Peel & Seal - plus thin carpet for the walls, but I want to use the van immediately :-)))))))

I'd also like to see if I can get my buddy to remove the sofabed at his shop today - I don't really have a helper to hold the nuts for the bolts under the van.

Then I want to buy 4 large Lowe's heavy duty plastic lidded totes and a 4x8 sheet ... put the sheet on top of the 4 totes and I'll have a usuable bed with el cheapo storage underneath.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:42 AM   #6
Site Team

Keep the tiki's, unless of course your name is Bobby Brady, and you found the tiki's in Hawaii (showing my age).

I've been into tiki's for a few years now. Tiki bobblehead in the Bronco, and a number of higher-end tiki mugs (which can be an expensive hobby). Hope to build a tiki man cave soon.

Herb
Old 11-05-2015, 05:27 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Keep the tiki's, unless of course your name is Bobby Brady, and you found the tiki's in Hawaii (showing my age).

Hope to build a tiki man cave soon.

Herb
And oddly enough I get that BB reference----Marsha was hot but a bit of a biatch though..........but I digress.

I do hope this Tiki man cave includes the full motif, Don Ho music in the background 24/7?

Mostly just kidding about the Tiki's---was more curious how they came to be in the van or in the photo---I'm possibly attention deficit enabled?

For immediate use your plan for plywood sheet and totes is good enough, at least for a weekend. I'd personally advise against the Dynamat or its variants for the side walls. Its relatively expensive and not really all that effective insulation wise, more of a sound deadening material.

If you have photos of the existing bare walls showing how far you've demo'd the interior that would be helpful. For the most part your best choice for heat insulation using typical household fiberglass is best---easy on the budget too. That does require a rigid sort of outer paneling to keep in it place and provide at least a bit of a finished look.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #8

Citizen Adventure Van checking in. Check out my progress!

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...79489619_o.jpg
Old 11-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #9

Took a break on the van build to go camping with my son.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4241.JPG   IMG_4227.JPG   IMG_4216.JPG  
Old 11-11-2015, 05:54 AM   #10

Ok I have the van back, interior stripped, and sofabed out.

Again for now the plan is to have a 4x6 piece of plywood on top of 4 sturdy totes for a bed platform. Would like to hear ideas about doing the walls.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4313.JPG   IMG_4314.JPG   IMG_4315.JPG