Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #1

Windshield chip repair philosophy

The situation:

I got a small chip in Texas. It's about half the depth of the windshield and round, about half the size of a penny, ie: a small chip. I did one of those do-it-yourself repair kits that day that took care of the half inch crack that emanated in the first 10 miles from it, then it has sat. I drove it back to NY, about 2000 miles, and it's stable so far.

The questions and options:

1. Do I just leave it? I'm inclined to leave it, so long as it's stable. I may take a round trip to Michigan soon and that would be a good chance to test it more. That being said, it was okay for 2000 miles.

2. Has anyone had a chip turn into a spider and worse after a while, or does it usually manifest itself early on? My experience has been that it shows early.

3. I could take it to a local Safelite and they'll "repair" the chip, but this has never worked well for me in the past. Anybody have good experiences with this?

4. Bite the bullet and do the whole windshield. I hate doing this because of the time and money, because in NY we have two stickers on the windshield that will have to survive the change, and because I'm always leery of new seals. That being said, I'm still tempted to go this route.

I'd love to hear any of your opinions, philosophy, experiences, or general thoughts on this matter.

Paul

Old 06-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Windshield chip repair philosophy

Quote:
3. I could take it to a local Safelite and they'll "repair" the chip, but this has never worked well for me in the past. Anybody have good experiences with this?
I had Safelite repair a chip on my van's window before winter. This is the first time I had this done. Should I expect the repair to spider? After I paid for the repair ($78 I think) they told me the repair was guaranteed. When I asked details of the guarantee I was told that if there was a problem I'd get back my $78.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #3

Garage

If you're OK with the repair visually, then good for you. If you don't like it, get new glass. If the crack develops into a lightning strike, you know what to so. My little rock ding began a crack and it lengthened about 3" a day until it reached the edge. I replaced the glass with a top shaded replacement. I like it better.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #4

I took a rock in the windshield back in April. The chip was about 1/4" and never got any bigger, so yesterday I had it repaired. At $45 of the insurance company's money and no deductible, I figure it's a pretty good deal.

The local company's repair criteria are (from their handout):

1. The total damaged area must be smaller than a quarter.
2. The damage cannot be through both layers of glass.
3. Pieces of glass cannot be missed the damaged area.
4. Rock chips on the black borders of the windshield may not be able to be repaired.
5. Rock chips in the driver's line of vision will not be repaired.
6. A maxmimum of 3 rock chips can be repaired. More than 3 and the windshield must be replaced.

If the chip isn't bothering you, I would try the repair. Worst case is that I have to eventually get it replaced anyway, and if you get the same guarantee as WVvan, you can still get your $78 back.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #5

Ah yes, I was once worried that I'd one day return to this short thread that I started three and a half years ago.

Well, today, either because it was freezing and I turned on the defroster or because a mechanic scraped off my old state inspection sticker to put on the new one, my old friend the chip suddenly sprouted wings - about 5 inches on each side of the chip approximately.

It's low enough that I'm half tempted to just leave it and see if it gets worse. Then again, I'd hate to see it get worse when I'm on the road somewhere.

I suppose I'll get it replace. More than the time and money, I'm just bummed that I have a brand new registration and a brand new inspection sticker on it. I am hoping they can salvage those. It would be a triple-hassle to replace them.

Oh well. Life goes on. I'm thinking of using some local place in Jersey that got good reviews on Yelp - I know, I know. For some reason, my '05 Tacoma went through three windshields - I always used to think it must have had a weird curvature. Anyway, I am hoping this place uses good glass.

I may wait until the weather warms up a bit.

Paul
Old 02-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #6

I gave up on chip repairs. I just get more rock chips. I just plan on a new windshield every spring. Last time was with Safelite for $180 but I'm seeing some other places around Portland advertising them for $160 for the E-series.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

All right guys here's the real deal from someone actually in the auto glass biz......

Windshield repair regardless who does it is nothing more than a crap shoot, more crap than shooting though. In 1988 I bought a Novus Windshield Repair franchise---it wasn't all the effective then and its not advanced one bit since.

When a rock chip grows into a crack that travels the full width or height of the windshield there is absolutely no danger of it falling in your lap or otherwise rendering your vehicle unusable. You or your passengers won't be impaled, beheaded or any other such nonsense. Windshields are two pieces of glass with an inner lamination very much UNLIKE typical plate or tempered glass found around the home. Look at any vehicle involved in a collision, even those with severe front damage --notice how the windshield is still intact?

Not to further derail this topic but windshield installation is subject to several Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. While never failure proof that should give a small bit of piece of mind a cracked windshield isn't a major safety risk.

Of course Safelite's TV and radio commercials lead the unsuspecting to believe they're in mortal danger and only they can do a 100% restoration to pre-chip or break condition including their claimed "vehicle structural integrity". (If there was ever a case of false and misleading advertising this and several other of their advertisements need to be reviewed!)

There are many many DIY windshield repair kits available and they're just as effective as the services most glass shops offer. For $10-12 per kit you've got the same process and results.

IF you're in need of a windshield replacement ask your potential installer what brand they use or have available. Brands such as PGW (formerly PPG), Pilkington, Guardian are the pre-eminent brands and DO NOT carry a premium installed price--they all tend to cost glass companies the same dollar amount----be aware of this.

The glut of Chinese and other low quality crap on the market such as Safelite manufactures and pushes has greatly changed the auto glass biz and not for the better. Unless someone gives you a lifetime warranty of 100% usability you're taking a chance with receiving a poor product that's not as much a bargain as it seems at first.

Anyway aren't you glad you asked?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #8

Garage

^^^ great info JWA!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
Site Team

X2

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #10

Check with your auto insurance agent to see if your policy offers free or low cost windshield replacement. The State Farm policy we have does.