Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #1

Q: Ideas on bed frame and attachment

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on a good platform for my new build.
No pictures as of yet, but picture a galley , 41" wide. I am thinking of 1.25x1.25" maple attached to the sides for the only "rails" and maybe use 3/4 ply for the bed.

I have also considered 1/8" thick Aluminum L channel but more on that later.

So, what I want is the bed to be in 4 sections, piano hinged so it "accordions" into a rear and forward facing seat.

Now the problem. How to "attach" the bed to the rails, and keep it from sliding forward while in the bench mode. If I used L channel, the I could just have holes in it and install threaded inserts into the plywood, and use screws (with knobs), up through the frame into the bed in a few key locations.

If I use maple, I was considering some sort of small draw-latch, but cant seem to find anything that is made to draw perpendicular sides.

Anyone have any ideas? I know its a little open ended, but any ideas are appreciated. Also, for a bed platform, anyone successful with the honeycomb bed platforms?

Many thanks.
Rockman

Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #2

Re: Q: Ideas on bed frame and attachment

Interesting idea. I guess it depends on 2 things- which part will be anchored/move- like things are a little more difficult if you have the center point go up and down and both end sections move in/out.

Second would be if you need it to be travel safe, like post 1960s travel safe...

My first thought is actuators, electric ones that would hold the position, tied to the center point and sliding each end section out or in on track-rails that have roller coaster top/bottom wheels. The center sections would just be wider than the tracks s.t. they are supported in the flat position but not tied otherwise except for the hinges. Might need something to ensure the center pops up when the actuators first start collapsing.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

I'm kinda of a simple guy- a lot of times I see projects guys are doing here and I'm blown away by the engineering and complexity of some of their builds . I'm not saying that's a bad thing I know their having fun and I think it's great, just beyond me and my time frame. (it wouldn't be fun for me)

IMO something simple Manual not electric and the least moving parts as possible.

Ron
Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #4

Rockman, the movement you're describing, if i understand it, sounds a lot like this bed:
http://www.smart-beds.com/gallery.asp

Go to the link and click on the video clip in the gallery. Maybe some good info on that site to help you?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroySmith80
Rockman, the movement you're describing, if i understand it, sounds a lot like this bed:
Quoted for awesome!

Video is image 8 or 9ish
Old 03-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #6

Bastards! they stole my idea.

Although mine was not nearly as nice, and they have a fancy logo on theirs...

Thanks for point this out to me, I will be contacting my attorney asap.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroySmith80

Go to the link and click on the video clip in the gallery. Maybe some good info on that site to help you?
I just came across that website this week. I like the design but get out your checkbook......~$750USD just for the frame. Add another $620USD if you want their upholstery. And that does not include shipping from the UK! If you could copy their design, you could be a lot of money ahead.
zuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #8

this is of interest to me, i have been thinking about the bed design a bit lately. i have a select comfort bed which is going to donate 2 air chambers. they're 24" wide each. i thought i could retrofit a futon frame or perhaps make a hinge so it folds up and has a forward facing "couch". i.e. the futon would face the side when up. unfortunately, i'm too tall to lay across the van.

i thought to hold it up in the seated position it would be really easy to just use a strap.

now i'm considering just making a flat bed.

i built a bed platform for my station wagon with 2x2 struts every 24" and 1/4" ply. it hasn't broken yet, or made any nasty cracking noises. i think in the van i would do 2x4 struts and 1/4" ply.

how did you plan to affix the maple boards to the walls? i didn't understand that part.

thanks
dimension4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #9

sure. I may get some photos tomorrow, but in my rig, I have tall cabinets on the driver side, and a "bench" on the left. I was originally planning on ripping 2"x2" and running them down the galley using elevator bolts, or possibly lag from the back and glue.

I have looked into aluminum, steel, cardboard, plastic, pixie dust and black magic but none seem to let me then attach the bed platform to the rails effectively.

My design in my head was having three sections (bench seat, bench back, rear unattached platform). So when the bed is in bench mode, the rear platform could be a shelf for stuff or lifted up and slide behind the bench back (I think sportsmobile has a similar design).
Old 03-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #10

I like the smartbed, IF it also stays in a slight recline (for those movie nights). Im going to scour the local junkyards for a motorized bed/frame from a conversion junkie.

Just put in my floor, and figuring out my propane set-up. I hate spending $400 on a side mount propane tank. So, I intend on mounting a regular type smaller propane tank (upright) with the top portion of it visible through the floor (after having to lift a small plywood cover). I'll make a quick-mount bracket, and.....ba-da-bing! I will then use the area next to the tank as a runk area.

Thoughts?