Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #1

2WD lift kit-Install and Review part I, II, III and verdict

First let me start off by saying that I am the Parts Manager at B and B RV in Northern California. So not only was I looking for a lift kit for my own van, but I was also in search of a good lift kit that we could sell and install at our shop.
I started the search with 3 companies in mind. Action Van Suspension, Camburg Engineering, and J Flame Customs. Because I would be buying my own lift kit to start with; price was a huge consideration, but also since I would be offering them for sale at our shop I still wanted something that wouldn't break the bank and had to be a quality product. Especially considering the biggest reason most people that stay with 2 wheel drive would be because of the high cost to convert to 4 wheel drive. I started by searching the Internet for anything good or bad about the lift kits offered by these three companies but didn't come up with much, other than the debate about how safe bent I beams are (which is what's offered at Camburg) the other two companies make drop brackets. While all three companies seem to have had very quality kits, cost was still what I was looking at so that eliminated Camburg and left me with J Flame and Action Van. I started by sending an e-mail to J flame (the least expensive kit) about my interest in getting one of there kits for my van and the shop....waited one day, no response. Called there shop and got an answering machine. Left a message.......waited two days, no response. O.K. never mind, I moved on to Action Van Suspension. I called the phone number on their website, two rings and yay an actual human being on the other end of the phone. A very nice lady named Tammy answered the phone and after I told her what I was looking for she transford me over to Larry (also a super nice guy) I talked to Larry for a few minutes explaining what I was looking for and after a whole 15 minutes my kit was paid for and the excitement for my new lift kit began to build. FYI, I went with their performance suspension system. They also offer an upgraded Ultimate suspension kit. When I talked to Larry and ordered my kit it was about 3:00 in the afternoon and he let me know that my kit would ship out in the morning and I would have it in two days. Sure enough two days latter my kit is here!! Three boxes of lift kit goodness that I couldn't wait to tear into. Upon opening the boxes my first impression was; this company really cares about their stuff. The packing was excellent. Every piece was individually wrapped in styrofoam and taped up and all the boxes were filled to the rim with foam peanuts and expanda-foam. I left everything packed up and waited till I got home to open each piece and inspect it. Once I got home and began the inspection process I was VERY impressed with the quality of the kit. The welds look impeccable, every piece of the kit looks custom built (not mass produced) there doesn't appear to be a single scratch or visual flaw on anything (except for the lift blocks, which I don't think they make) Nothing wrong with them they are just not hand made and powder coated like the rest of the kit. So far I am very pleased that I went with Action Van Suspension and if this kit works as well as it looks, I can't wait to promote it. I will be installing this kit next week end (5-5,6) and will be taking pictures and reviewing the entire process and will write part II after it is installed. P.S. still no contact from J-Flame...

*************CONTINUED IN PART II, FURTHUR DOWN ON PAGE 1 OF POST***************

time2mtbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #2

Re: 2WD lift kit-Instal and Review part I

Will this work with the class B and class C RV's?
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGVANS
Why didn’t you just get a U-Joint off road kit (front end) without the transfer case until you are ready for a full 4X4 conversion?
I also thought about this and I called Chris at U-Joint to talk to him about it. He was very helpful, but it was going to run between $3,000-$3,500 just for the first step. Also since I realy want to offer the 2wd lifts at work, I wanted to be able to show customers the lift kits already installed and give them my personal feed back on it.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGVANS
Will this work with the class B and class C RV's?
After I get this one installed, I will take a look at our units at work at see if it will. Also you could probably call Action Van and ask them, they probably already know or have tried/done it.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #5

Sounds great, thanks for the post!
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:21 AM   #6

Thanks for the post. Look forward to part II as I am considering doing the same. How much lift does this particular kit give you?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #7

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Looks great. What is the retail price? Also, why are there two Pitman Arms included in the kit?

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoventurer
Thanks for the post. Look forward to part II as I am considering doing the same. How much lift does this particular kit give you?
It says this kit will give you 4 1/2" to 6" of lift. I'm not sure what makes the difference in the extra 1 1/2" but I will let you guys know exactly how much I get.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Looks great. What is the retail price? Also, why are there two Pitman Arms included in the kit?
This kit runs $1,995 plus shipping. There is also a $175 core charge that you get back as soon as you ship back a couple of parts. It comes with two pitman arms because there are two different arm splines, so you use the one the fits your van and send back the other one with your radius arms and radius arm mounts for your core refund.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2mtbike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoventurer
It says this kit will give you 4 1/2" to 6" of lift. I'm not sure what makes the difference in the extra 1 1/2" but I will let you guys know exactly how much I get.
The two black blocks at the bottom of your last picture makes the difference between 4 1/2" and 6". Measure the height of the block and see how high it is. Larry, at Action Vans, told me the 6" lift is not right for our vans as it makes the center of gravity too high.