Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #1

Recommended 4x4 Service in Bay Area?

Hi All,

Looking for a trustworthy place to service my SMB 4WD system, preferably mid-peninsula. Right now, just need the wheel bearings serviced, but want to start with a place that I can trust for other stuff.

Recommendations (and warnings) welcomed.

Thanks,

Ken

PS- someday, long term, might be nice to have a separate forum with recommended services in different locations. Could have a sticky at the top that says to post the subject in the format of:

Location State/Location City/Service Type/Recommended or Not

Then we could easily find it by searching that forum's title only. Just a thought, since a clickable map is probably out of the question....

Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #2

Re: Recommended 4x4 Service in Bay Area?

I think that is a really good idea but it might require a further break down by vehicle type - Ford vs Sprinter vs Other.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

I've kind of kept a running tab on what shops others have posted about for my own travels. But yeah it would be nice to have a section for those on the road. Maybe in the Wiki but getting people to post there might be a problem.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #4

Assuming you are talking about a Ford, I'd go to Towne Ford in Redwood City. They supply the Ford vans to SMB Fresno thru the fleet manager at Towne. Since we live in Newark, I've been going to the Fremont Ford dealer here in town and they have been great. But I did use Towne one time and was happy with the service there too.

For alignment, shocks, tires, or brakes, I use Custom Alignment in Mountain View. They cost more than Big O, etc. but they have the right equipment and well-trained technicians. Their regular customers are owners of high-end sports cars...
Old 10-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
Assuming you are talking about a Ford, I'd go to Towne Ford in Redwood City....For alignment, shocks, tires, or brakes, I use Custom Alignment in Mountain View.....
Yeah, it's a ford, but they (and most other regular places) don't want to touch the removal of non-standard 4x4 components, in this particular case the disassembly of the wheels to lube the wheel bearings. Even SMB Fresno wouldn't do it during my last visit! ("We don't do the 4x4 service, find a good 4x4 place near you.")

Yeah, I've seen the Badgers' step by step on it, but frankly I just don't have the time or patience to do it myself!

http://www.badgertrek.com/sportsmobile/ ... ings.shtml
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #6

Doesn't anyone here know of a reputable 4x4 shop in the SF Bay??? I know that 4wheelparts has a service center in San Jose but haven't used them.
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

As long as Jay Mento is at Towne Ford I think that you won't have an issue with them. Give Jay a call.

If you don't find anybody locally I know of two good shops, one in stockton, one in riverbank who do great drivetrain work.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratworst
Doesn't anyone here know of a reputable 4x4 shop in the SF Bay??? I know that 4wheelparts has a service center in San Jose but haven't used them.
I am currently in the process of using a 4x4 shop in Cotati. I will post the results (good or bad) once the work is completed.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #9

This shop is in Campbell (on the border of San Jose) but in my opinion is the best 4x4 shop in the area. They specialize in custom Jeeps but work on anything 4x4. Call and talk to Jeff (the owner)...he's a good guy!

http://www.arabiasoverkill.com/overkillhomepage.html
robtbritn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #10

Strange that Ford and other places you've talked to won't touch the 4X4 components. I had a front wheel bearing burn up and damage the spindle while traveling through Palm Springs and the Ford dealer there took on the job without question. Contacted Quigley, ordered two new spindles, bearings, seals, etc. and put it all back together without an issue.