Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #1

Quigley to do 4x4 on new Transit for 2014

Sorry if this has been posted, but I just saw it on the Quigley site. I might be interested in this for my next van.

2014 Ford Transit

Quigley Motor Company is planning to offer our 4x4 system on the new Transit full size line which is geared to replace the E-Series in 2014. Please monitor this News section in the up coming months as we will keep you informed when we learn more details. We thank you for your interests in the new Ford Transit model line.

http://quigley4x4.com/NewsandEvents/New ... fault.aspx

Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #2

Re: Quigley to do 4x4 on new Transit for 2014

I have been lurking this forum and the SMB site for a while and love their products. I am an avid Ford guy - huge fan of the Econoline - and my signature pretty much sums me up. I decided to go ahead and start posting here since I'm already registered.

I like and am interested in the upcoming Transit. As it's being built as a unibody that is narrow and tall, it makes me wonder how a Quigley 4x4 will be functional. They may just do a Nissan NV-type of conversion, in which the independent front suspension is retained with simple 4x4 conversion and minimal suspension height increase. I doubt larger tires and wheels would be necessary.

I also wonder if Sportsmobile has any plans to do some conversions of the Transit as well since the Econoline wagon will soon go bye-bye. They are utilizing the Econoline cutaway for the upcoming camper unit that they contracted with an Australian company, so surely they're thinking or secretly working on the Transit version. Ford has said that the low- and high-roof Transit choices will be offered, so the Sportsmobile Penthouse roof could be offered on the low-roof version, as on the Econoline. The Transit will have some advantages over the Sprinter. The Transit is being made in America, both gas and diesel engines already announced, the price would surely be lower than the Sprinter, and the aforementioned Quigley 4x4 conversion being soon offered. Don't forget that Built Ford Tough spirit which the Transit would obviously have as well.

I actually can't wait until the North American Auto Show, where Ford is said to reveal the Transit with more details of the American version, as the European one is already on sale, I do believe. It would only be a matter of time before we know for sure whether Sportsmobile will do their camper conversions for the Transit.

Thanks Steve for letting us know, but I'm surprised no one has said anything regarding this, hence me breaking my lurking silence. lol
pffan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pffan1990
I have been lurking this forum and the SMB site for a while and love their products. I am an avid Ford guy - huge fan of the Econoline - and my signature pretty much sums me up. I decided to go ahead and start posting here since I'm already registered.

I like and am interested in the upcoming Transit. As it's being built as a unibody that is narrow and tall, it makes me wonder how a Quigley 4x4 will be functional. They may just do a Nissan NV-type of conversion, in which the independent front suspension is retained with simple 4x4 conversion and minimal suspension height increase. I doubt larger tires and wheels would be necessary.

I also wonder if Sportsmobile has any plans to do some conversions of the Transit as well since the Econoline wagon will soon go bye-bye. They are utilizing the Econoline cutaway for the upcoming camper unit that they contracted with an Australian company, so surely they're thinking or secretly working on the Transit version. Ford has said that the low- and high-roof Transit choices will be offered, so the Sportsmobile Penthouse roof could be offered on the low-roof version, as on the Econoline. The Transit will have some advantages over the Sprinter. The Transit is being made in America, both gas and diesel engines already announced, the price would surely be lower than the Sprinter, and the aforementioned Quigley 4x4 conversion being soon offered. Don't forget that Built Ford Tough spirit which the Transit would obviously have as well.

I actually can't wait until the North American Auto Show, where Ford is said to reveal the Transit with more details of the American version, as the European one is already on sale, I do believe. It would only be a matter of time before we know for sure whether Sportsmobile will do their camper conversions for the Transit.

Thanks Steve for letting us know, but I'm surprised no one has said anything regarding this, hence me breaking my lurking silence. lol
Interesting news. I too would rather stick with Ford when the time comes to buy another SMB.

I didn't realize that the larger Transit would have a diesel option. Which motor is Ford planning to use?

Thanks
Rob
Old 11-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #4

I didn't realize that the larger Transit would have a diesel option. Which motor is Ford planning to use?

Thanks
Rob[/quote]

Here's the info...http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/28/dies ... ford-vans/
robtbritn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #5

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtbritn

Thanks
Rob
From what I've read they will probably use the 3.2-liter Ford Duratorq TDCi inline 5 since that's what is offered in Europe already. The transit is only 300lbs lighter than the Econoline so my guess is performance won't be very impressive after converting to a RV ~8,000-10'000.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #6

The article throws out the 300 pounds number as if it's impressive or something. Improved aerodynamics will play a lot bigger role in fuel savings than 300 pounds of weight.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Site Team

Garage

To make it work it looks like SMB would have to reduce the weight of the conversion. My van weighed in at 9.5K empty. I also wonder what the total inside size comparison is to the current version? The cutaway sitting at SMB right now seems like a much better choice from what I'm told how it will be built. Time will tell. I want a more powerful van not a smaller engine than what I have now especially when speaking 4x4. Also they need to figure out some kind of a face lift for that front end.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #8

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I rather like them. Though I like the next gen Transit vans even more. This page has a lot of detail on the new commercial range, if you scroll down you'll find all the critical dimensions for the various size vans. From my reading, it seems that an RB E van has the same cargo volume as a SWB, low roof Transit. I find that hard to believe honestly.

<http://www.fordtransitdirect.co.uk/newsales/newvans/transit/technicalspec.aspx>

They are available in Europe in a dizzying series of configurations. I notice that they are already a generation ahead in Europe with the new Transits as well.

As for power, I'm afraid that for most users, who will be commercial, fuel efficiency will trump power. I have driven a couple of the new Euro diesel vans and I wouldn't despair too much. Though they may not have as many horses as the V8's the diesel torque makes them fun to drive and probably even better off road. While I don't think even Ford know for sure what we'll get, the Euro vans are rated in the mid to high 30's mpg on Imperial gallons. I'd be more than happy to sacrifice a bit less power for 2.5x the mileage.

If you are really interested, the new Transit has been available in Mexico for a while now. A quick trip down south to a Ford dealer could tell you all you need to know.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #9

The 3.5L EcoBoost has already been confirmed. That motor completely smoke the 6.0 PSD in every way. 100 extra HP, and almost the same torque, but with a flatter torque curve thats available from 2,000-6,000 RPM. And an extra gear in the tranny. With the dead flat torque-curve, it should even outrun the V10, especially at elevation.

And.... 5-star tuning already has programmers for it.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
The 3.5L EcoBoost has already been confirmed. That motor completely smoke the 6.0 PSD in every way. 100 extra HP, and almost the same torque, but with a flatter torque curve thats available from 2,000-6,000 RPM. And an extra gear in the tranny. With the dead flat torque-curve, it should even outrun the V10, especially at elevation.

And.... 5-star tuning already has programmers for it.

That is what I want to hear. If the frame can handle off roading then there might be something to them. Sorry I just can't get used to the front end, but I really didn't like the 08 look either...it finally grew on me, so we'll see.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote