Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

Spectra Premium Fuel Tank / UjointOffRoad Aluminum Fuel Tank

This may help some people experiencing a loss of power with their diesel or gasoline vans with the Ford oem steel tank:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...n-pics-289174/

Ford E350 Diesel Tank Delamination - Pics - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

The red rust which happens to the inside of the tank steel after the grey/silver paint delaminates is also discussed. On my van, the oem filter was clogged with grey/silver fine particles (e.g. what happens after the paint flakes/goo are macerated by the oem fuel pump and then sent to the oem filter).

One other guy had his Ford oem steel tank boiled out to remove the delaminating/peeling paint goo and recoated for $1000 but has decided just to use this Spectra Premium tank instead. He just doesn't trust that the new coating in the old tank won't delaminate and ruin the injectors like the Ford oem steel painted-on-the-inside-tanks do.

See:

http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premiu.../dp/B000C7TWBE

Spectra Premium F41B Fuel Tank for Ford : Amazon.com : Automotive

The Spectra tank is not painted on the inside but is coated inside and out with Ni-Terne. "Ni-terne is cold rolled, flashed with nickel then hot dipped with 90% lead 10% tin give or take a couple %pts. NO Zinc." It has a three year warranty and is appropriate for use "with gasoline containing up to 20% ethanol (E20) and diesel containing up to 5% biodiesel (B5))"

If your van is converted to 4x4, you will have to shorten the front of the tank for it to clear the transfer case.

One guy PM'd me and said: "Just order the Spectra it will fit. Save yourself from anymore hassles. Yeah Ford coated it to keep the cheap metal from rusting then they changed the fuel some and it ate it up. Plus any of those additives they sell for diesels will eat it up quick. Get the Spectra, it has a lead coating from what I remember when I spoke to engineers when I called them, no paint in them. A shop near me cut the end off and brazed on a flat stainless piece to resolve the transfer case fit problem and charged me $75.00. I also took him my old tank to compare dimensions so to get it right."

I dropped my tank and used a less viscous paint remover and tried to get all the remaining paint flakes and goo out by repeatedly spraying paint remover inside then flushing the tank with water. But I don't trust that I removed all of the paint. Even during my last flush, flakes were rising to the top. Because I don't think that my Racor PS-120 diesel pre-pump filter will catch all the flakes and because any flakes which get by the oem filter will just ruin my new injectors, I am not driving my van until I replace the tank.

Here is a link to my pre-filter:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11837 ... -tank.html

I may go with the Spectra and have it cut to fit my transfer case.

But I know a really good welder who is certified in stainless and who doesn't charge me full rate. So, I am exploring having an Alloy 316 stainless steel tank fabricated and will post if I do.

Again, if you have a Ford oem steel tank (used in the gasoline and diesel E-series and F450 and F550 pickups) drop the tank and have a peek, before you lose your injectors like I did.

BTW, one of the Spectra tank reviewer's comments on Amazon describes to a "T," the symptoms your engine will have as it experiences fuel starvation prior to the ruining of its injectors. The problem with these tanks is not limited to diesels. Apparently, even the gasoline vans using these Ford oem painted steel tanks also experience the same delamination problems and resulting fuel starvation symptoms.

This helpful TSB was recently posted by Brother Les on the FTE forum:

7.3 Bulletins Page
Updated: 6-4-08

Lack of Power, Trucks with Steel Tanks:
Some trucks may have a lack of power due to low fuel pressure from a plugged fuel filter or in-tank pickup tube, or restricted fuel lines. This could be caused by the steel tank lining becoming de-laminated/flaking off. If this occurs, the tank will need to be replaced, along with the plugged components. Be aware that using biodiesel with more than 5% concentration (B5) may cause this to happen. The replacement tanks do have a more resistant coating to help prevent this occurance, however Ford still recommends using no higher than B5 biodiesel. Broadcast Message 6865, 7103.

My full thread can be found at:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11837 ... -tank.html

Hope this helps someone.

Edit:

UJointOffRoad is also now making an aluminum fuel tank which accommodates the 4x4 transfer case:

"Our new aluminum fuel tank replaces the stock midship tank and makes room for the new t-case. The capacity is 39 gallons and the tank is powdercoated black with 2 mounting straps. New fuel & vent fill hose as well as the proper vents front & rear.

Production starts 2-1-13, so let us know if you'd like to get in on the 1st run! Price is $1199 plus freight."

http://www.ujointoffroad.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Ujoint Fuel Tank 374_Ft002_img_1.jpg  
Attached Images

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #2

Re: Spectra Premium Fuel Tank

I posted an idea on FTE,
but if you go with stainltess let me know. maybe if willing your friend can make two. then I can drive down to pick it up.

just another thought
MTDewX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #3

Re: Spectra Premium Fuel Tank

It's been a while since I've had to have a tank re-done, but $1k does not sound right. I think I remember somewhere around $300 to $400 for a tank that was fine 14 years later, when I sold that car.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #4

Re: Spectra Premium Fuel Tank / UjointOffRoad Aluminum Fuel

Update:

http://www.8-lug.com/tech/1307_tank_del ... ewall.html

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f14 ... on-405106/
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #5

Re: Spectra Premium Fuel Tank / UjointOffRoad Aluminum Fuel

We've seen a lot of delamination lately, selling a lot of tanks for replacement. We've also updated our design since that pic (that was the 1st tank) We have bungs machined that accept the factory sending units, adjustable straps so they fit all applications and the tank is bent up from 2 large pieces to minimize welding. We even have a really trick sending unit bung for the 2011/up rigs.

And.... our capacity is an actual 35.5. It was miscalculated by the guy who prototyped it.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #6

Delamination 1999+

I have read online that the delamination issue is limited to years 1999+. Is this true? I have a 1998 e-350 7.3. I recently had the tank dropped and my mechanic reported that there was a lot of rust in the tank. I have yet to ask about silver delam flakes, as I've only started my research on this topic. Any thoughts are appreciated.
corkademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #7

My E350 is a 2002.
If you have rust you no longer have paint.
The paint was to prevent sulfur in the diesel reacting with the steel of the tank.
Have you checked your fuel filter?
IMHO, you should immediately back flush your fuel pump and replace the tank.