Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2008, 07:04 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to fun2fly
Brake parts compatability F350 vs. E350

1)Do you guys know if the brakes on the E350 are the same in the F350 trucks.

2) Are the brake lines modified when the smb 4x4 is installed?

I am finding outfits that make cross drilled rotors for the F350. I want to know if they'll fit? I am also finding companies that make the braided stainless steel brake lines for the F350. But I don't know if they'll fit on the E350.

Any info would be great.

Lancair Legacy (building)
fun2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
I would like to varify also. SMB told me that it was all stock and even with my brakeman upgrade, if I got in a pinch, stock parts can be used to replace things until I get home and order the new parts from brakeman. I gave my brand new ford rotors away and should have kept them I guess. My upgrade uses the same stock calipers and pads are no big thing to do a field repair. As far as lines, my local shop has the tools to make them and is something I will take on for sure. When you about to hit something you really stomp hard and its not the time to blow a line. The Storm brakes come with the braided line I think. Another thing I wanted to look into are shields to deflect rocks. I have had a rotor messed up by a pebble but would a shield work? I was told by 1 person about this when he traveled to Alaska but maybe it's bull??? Sorry not trying to hi-jack the thread so I will stop.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #3

In my SMB manual titled "Sportsmobile 2008 4wd Vehicle" it lists the brake rotor as 1995-98 F350/Auto Specialty AR8553/Dynatrac #DA601125-D

I assume that the '95 - '98 is a typo and should be '05 -'08

Also, Heber at SMB told me specifically that the brakes on the '08 SMB 4x4 were upgraded by SMBW to F450. That is why the stock 16" wheels will no longer work with the '08 4x4 conversion.

So the Manual might not be up to date.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Your lucky Charlie. I was hopeing to upgrade to the stock 450 brakes but was told there are clearance issues or something to that nature. Still I can't afford the expense of tire/rim change so I'm stuck with the 06 brakes. I will do what I can to improve what I have
Dave

Old 04-10-2008, 01:28 AM   #5

Brakes

On '03 thru '07 SMB 4x4, the standard rotors are as listed in the SMB 4x4 manual, "1995-98 F350/Auto Specialty AR8553/Dynatrac #DA601125-D"
The '08 E-Van and '08 SMB 4x4 use larger brakes than earlier models. It sounds like the SMB 4x4 manual for '08 needs to be updated, as the SMB 4x4 does use the F-450 rotors on the front.

Heber at SMB is a great contact for verification, he'll return your call, and give you good straight answers.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #6

This is about as confusing as it gets. According to SMB, my 2003 4x4 uses the stock E-350 front calipers and rotors (I do not have a SMB upgraded brake system). Now, some F-350 model years used the same front brake pads as the E-350s ('95-'97 F-350s, for example, used the same front pads as the '95-2007 E-350s, although I suspect the calipers would be different over the years due to different generations of ABS, etc.). In fact, several Dodge Rams (3/4 and 1-ton) use the same front pads as well. If anyone has a front pad handy, the measurement prior to '08 is 206 by 50 for the '95-2007 E-350 pads (if I remember correctly). Later F-350 pads got bigger (250-ish by ?, I just can't remember). So seems the answer to the question is "yes," "no" and "maybe." Simple to cross-reference by using the EBC part number DP41266R. I could not locate, quickly, any vehicles other than E series vans that used the stock calipers (my 2003 front calipers seem to be the same for e-250/350/450s and the years listed (not necessarily every model) were '99-2005 (unsure about '06-'07). Most notably, it appears no F-series trucks use the '99-2005 E-series caliper. Again, I say appears as did not not spend a ton of time looking.

Did anyone call SMB to see if the lines we have are the stock lines, custom, or from a different model (like a F-350)? If so, please let us know.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
Yea, I was told last week that the 2006 lines are stock. I assume SMB turns out the SS tubing to accept the stock lines. I plan to re-verify this before I make the plunge. One problem is the back lines have 2 separate lines between the calipers and 1 to the frame for a total of 3 on the rear. All 4 lines to the calipers are different from each other and are designated as E-350 not F-350. My biggest concern is if SMB switched to F-350 lines because I don't know how they addressed the front axle. Ford doesn’t make a FWD E-350. I assume the front wheels drops further than even a stock F-350 when you pull the disconnects, so I have my doubts on what was told to me. Also does Ford offer a van with stock rear discs? Am I missing something? You would think that the parts would be stock just in case you’re stranded and need a brake line. I was hoping that my upgrade included braided lines so I wouldn't have to go through this but Peter said no, there stock. SMB said that they do not have the correct tools (or the desire, due to safety) to build lines and a brake shop or parts house that’s qualified to make them would be the way to go. As I said in a different post, I plan to go to braided lines when I have my tires rotated. Hope I don’t need to buy new lines for supplier to copy. When they do this I would like to have them make a 1 size fits all hose that could be zip-tied up for emergencies if that’s possible.
Dave

Old 03-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #8

Re: Brake parts compatability F350 vs. E350

Resurrecting this thread from the past. Does anyone have any experience replacing the brake lines with stainless? Ujoint offers a kit but it's not plug and play since it's designed for his system and F series axles and brakes.

I could possibly have them fabricated locally but it's not the same as a low pressure hose. Can't get it wrong with brakes and the fittings. Thanks.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #9

Garage

i cant answer the above question, but id advise against anyone using cross drilled rotors on these big fat piggys. the only cross drilled rotors worth buying are ones cast that way (porsche). if they arent cast with the cross drilling, they are very likely to crack. if i can crack cross drilled rotors with a 1900lb civic, these vans are gonna eatem quick fast. imho, stick with blanks or slotted
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
i cant answer the above question, but id advise against anyone using cross drilled rotors on these big fat piggys. the only cross drilled rotors worth buying are ones cast that way (porsche). if they arent cast with the cross drilling, they are very likely to crack. if i can crack cross drilled rotors with a 1900lb civic, these vans are gonna eatem quick fast. imho, stick with blanks or slotted
I don't know nothing about nothing, but my Quigley has custom drilled rotors and they're working great since I got the van (about 10,000 miles ago).
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote