Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #1
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quigley vs. Quadvan

OK you experts. . .have the van ordered and thought Quadvan for the 4x4 conversion at first (all for parts etc. . .) but at the time of ordering the van with Nancy at Huntington, decided to go with Quigley (had an example of their work in the shop ready for delivery to a customer look real nice, and later talked to Larry who is a real character, to say the least). Any opinions? Stay with Quigley or turn it over to Quadvan (Nancy said I have a little time). . .thanks in advance-CTB

ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: Quigley vs. Quadvan

Unfortunately, this is almost like asking 'what's your favorite color?'

Questions to consider, and that only you can answer:
- How and where will you use 4wd (rock crawling, mud, snow, fire roads, open desert,....)?
- Who will perform maintenance & repair? (familiarity of the systems, availability of parts,....)?
- Proximity of the conversion company? Could become important if major service or parts are required (especially important if custom and/or modified parts are part of the system).
- Conversion company's reputation of service AFTER the sale?

Most of these are all judgement calls and dependent on your personal situation. If I were having a 4wd conversion done, my top two choices would be Quadvan and U-Joint.

Hope this helps,
Herb
Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #3

Garage
Quigley vs. Quadvan

While my van was being converted at Quadvan there were several quigley vans there being worked on. John at Quadvan walked me through what quigley does to the van to convert it. One thing that stuck out was that I could literally move my conversion to another van if the need arose. With the quigley they cut and welded enough parts to do the conversion that you are pretty locked in if anything big goes wrong. He also showed what goes wrong on the vans that were there and how hard it is after the fact to correct the ills. I realize the bias but my lay person eyes could see what he was talking about. The lack of travel was a pretty big difference in my view. I'm no rock crawler but I feel better knowing I'm pretty much all stock ford under the front end and I have good suspension travel. No death wobble here either. It seems the front end shake was common with the quigley vans he was fixing. Hope that helps.

Brad
Old 06-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #4

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

With out a doubt in my mind, I would go with Quadvan if those were the only two choices. While Quadvan "bump travel" is insufficient in my view, Quigley's is even worse. Quadvan uses stock 2005 through 2013 F250 or F350 suspension and drivetrain parts, Quigley uses there own design that has remained virtually unchanged for 20 years - reliable but outdated. Another annoying thing that Quigley does, is weld on modifications to the rear shock mounts which restricts rear axle travel and articulation as well.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #5

I owned a Quigley for 8 years. It was very reliable but lacked upward travel on the front end and I had to adjust my driving style. After test driving two Quadvans, my next SMB currently in production @ SMB West will be sent to Quadvan. With 99% Ford parts I have no doubt I could get service at any Ford dealer. John and Larry are both great guys to deal with.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #6

QuadVans ride better than a stock 2WD van. Any Ford dealer can service and warranty them without support from the converter, since its all F-series stuff below the chassis. You also get the opportunity for upgrades that Quigley won't do like air lockers, bigger wheel/tire combos, sway bar disconnects, ESOF, on board air, etc.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb

Thanks for the great advice! After reading the posts, going over options I want/need, and a lack of Quigley owners coming out to debate in their favor, I have to make the (tough) call to Larry. If it were on personality alone, well that Larry who cracks me up while still being a righteous dude, would be it. Again, thanks for the advice! CTB
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridintall
but lacked upward travel on the front end and I had to adjust my driving style.
SMB's 4x4 had the same problem- there is just not a lot of room. I had to get Deaver's to fix, as any unexpected railroad track or a pothole at 40mph and it was like being in an accident, at least as far as my back went.

I just don't think there is much room in the vans to work a solid axle in.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #9

Quigley vs. Quadvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
With out a doubt in my mind, I would go with Quadvan if those were the only two choices. While Quadvan "bump travel" is insufficient in my view, Quigley's is even worse. Quadvan uses stock 2005 through 2013 F250 or F350 suspension and drivetrain parts, Quigley uses there own design that has remained virtually unchanged for 20 years - reliable but outdated. Another annoying thing that Quigley does, is weld on modifications to the rear shock mounts which restricts rear axle travel and articulation as well.
Yep, I have a 2002 Quigley and it bottoms out often in the front and rear while driving in the city. Baja pointed out to me why this was. Just not enough travel.

Trying to sort that out as we speak.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #10

Yep, when you keep them as low as possible there just isn't any room for the axle to move. We get 6" of usable travel from our 4" kit, 8" from the 6". Here's V4 twisted up. 6" lift with the front fenders opened up for 37's. Travel is sometimes calculated differently, I just add the amount of compression and droop.

ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote