Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #1

Shocks Recomendations

I have a 2006 Quigley Sportsmobile, and it's clear that it is time to change the shock absorbers. What recommendations do any of you have? I saw that Sportsmobile is recommending Ranchos for Sportsmobile 4X4, and there are a number of posts for Bilsteins for those with Deaver springs, but what about stock Quigleys?

pbwebb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #2

Shocks Recomendations

I've got bilstien's on my stock 2000 quigley. The difference was quite noticeable. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Call up quigley give them your vin and they will give you the exact model bilstien for you van.

That easy!
Skyl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #3

Re: Shocks Recomendations

Bilsteins. You'll never go back.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #4

Garage

When I replaced my shocks I went with Bilsteins and the difference was HUGE! I highly recommend them.
Cheers
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
Site Team

As important as the brand of shock, if not more important, is getting the correct shock characteristics for your application. That's where working with someone who really understands suspension systems is vital. The best Bilstein shock won't be worth a damn if the valving isn't right, and if the compressed and extended length isn't right.

Herb
Old 06-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #6

For what it's worth, I ordered new Bilsteins this week for my 2008 Quigley. They should be here Friday and I hope to get them installed Monday or Tuesday. I will try to update, hopefully with a good review. I ordered them from 4 Wheel Parts.

Front 24-186674 $76.99 each
Rear 33-176840 $119.00 each

The rear are actually called struts, so maybe that's why they cost more. Seems like the price varies quite a bit from one online dealer to the other, but they had these in stock and we are getting ready to head out for a month or so and wanted the new shocks.

Quigley verified these numbers for me and had them in stock also, but their price was considerably higher. I am tempted to install them, but my Ford dealer said he would be happy to do it for the labor and they do have nice lifts and all the tools. My knuckles feel better already. I will save the skin for rock climbing on our trip.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382
I am tempted to install them, but my Ford dealer said he would be happy to do it for the labor and they do have nice lifts and all the tools. My knuckles feel better already. I will save the skin for rock climbing on our trip.
I'm on about my third set of Bilsteins. On the first set, the final labor costs were higher than quoted due to the clearances needed to get to the top nuts. (We split the additional costs.) For the second set, the service manager remembered the problems (and costs) and assigned the job to the employee with the smallest hands.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #8

I just have a 2WD Ford E250, but recently put on Bilsteins as part of my front end upgrade (I did front/rear shocks). I don't have a whole lot to compare them with, as I replaced the original OEM 1998 Ford shocks.

BUT, I just got done driving 16+ miles of really bad washboard gravel/dirt road in and out of
Chaco Canyon National Park, and the Bilstein shocks were probably the only thing that made the road even tolerable. When we got back on pavement I stopped and checked everything, as I thought the van was about to pull itself apart. The front shocks were so hot I couldn't even touch them for a second.

I was talking to a long-time park ranger there and he said the road in was in the worst shape he's ever seen it in. I had to take the van in to get aligned this morning in Albuquerque, as the road beat it up so much.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
As important as the brand of shock, if not more important, is getting the correct shock characteristics for your application. That's where working with someone who really understands suspension systems is vital. The best Bilstein shock won't be worth a damn if the valving isn't right, and if the compressed and extended length isn't right.

Herb
I usually go with Bilsteins, but I agree with BroncoHauler. In fact, there are not really any off-the-shelf shocks for our vans, especially 4x4 vans. No van came from the factory with the equipment we put on these things with the resulting rearrangement in weight distribution. And no full-size van comes from the factory with 4x4. All of our vans have gone through various amounts of aftermarket conversion and customization which must be taken into account when selecting a shock.

I have had great help in the past obtaining advice from the technical support staff at Bilstein west:

AFTERMARKET & MOTORSPORTS HEADQUARTERS - WEST
ThyssenKrupp Bilstein of America
14102 Stowe Drive
Poway, CA. 92064
1-858-386-5900

To make your conversation with them as informative as possible you may want to load your van for your usual adventure, and weigh the front wheels and the back wheels separately at your local CAT Scale:

http://catscale.com/

If it were me, I would also check the fully compressed and the fully extended travel of both your front and rear wheels (i.e., "suspension").
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
I'm on about my third set of Bilsteins. On the first set, the final labor costs were higher than quoted due to the clearances needed to get to the top nuts. (We split the additional costs.) For the second set, the service manager remembered the problems (and costs) and assigned the job to the employee with the smallest hands.

The service writer said it was pretty tight getting to the top nuts. Labor for installation of all 4 was $300. I still think it was worth it not to have to lay on the driveway all day in the heat cursing. I haven't driven far enough to have an opinion yet, but we are heading for a month or so and will report back later.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote