Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #1

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Quigley and QuadVan - FOX Shox Ride Improvement Package

"It is like night and day!" This was the initial comment made by both of the first two owners after driving their Quigley SportsMobiles, immediately after their Fox Shox Ride Improvement Package was installed. Their next words were, "I wish I had done this a long time ago!"

Over the last several month, I have been developing a ride improvement package, with the help of FOX Shox, for Quigley and QuadVan 4X4 Conversion Vans - it is finally tuned, tested and ready!

After reading so many complaints about the ride and handling of these converted 4X4 Ford E Series Vans, and finally getting to test drive a few of them myself, I realized there was a real need to solve the problem.

I have 20 plus years of off-road racing experience and suspension tuning under my belt and knew that major improvements could be made without major expense and modification. Both the Quigley and QuadVan are sound designs with proven functionality and reliability - they just need a little help.

Quigley and QuadVan front suspensions suffer from limited bump travel, primarily due to the Van's front frame cross member interfering with the front axle differential housing at full bump. The cross member is modified to provide as much clearance as possible, but typically there is only 1.5 inches or less of bump travel before the front suspension "bottoms out" and transfers the impact to the van and occupants.

The solution was to essentially double the bump travel, increase the overall travel, increase the spring height and spring rate, eliminate binding of the swaybar and most importantly installing custom tuned and valved FOX Shox.

The proof is in the ride.

The other part of the equations was controlling the rear suspension with tuning and custom valved FOX Shox for these behemoths to provide ride stability and control body roll and sway.

I spent a lot of time measuring, cycling, timing and tuning the suspension to optimize the existing design of these two 4X4 conversions and I am very pleased with the results - you will be too!

I used FOX Performance Series IFP (Internal Floating Piston) Shox:

They were custom valved based on experience and testing:

Out with the old and in with the new...

The two test SMB's:

Here you can see the 2 inch drop spacer for the swaybar to eliminate binding.

I also installed the NEW FOX Performance Series Adjustable Through Shaft (ATS) steering stabilizer on one of the Vans. The technologically advanced design cancels unwanted steering forces in both directions, taking the place of two conventional opposing stabilizers. It will also respond to your input with 24 clicks of external adjustment to fine tune the feel.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Quigley and QuadVan - FOX Shox Ride Improvement Package

badass! really appreciate you taking the time to figure out issues on vehicles that arent even yours. pretty dang cool!

of course i have questions though. are new springs required to utilize the benefits of the shocks and will this help with the "swim" or "wander" that these vans get at higher speeds?

oh ya, and do these get ordered through you or fox directly? specific part numbers? dealer discounts available??
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage

I'm very interested in the shox's and maybe the coils depending how it changes the level of the van front to back.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #4

Can you elaborate on the difference of the new spring upfront?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #5

So how much improvement in up-travel or bump travel did this package give the vans? Are you putting a package together that you'll sell for self install, or will you be offering to install this package? And what are the prices? I'm interested for sure, the limited bump travel on the Quigley 4x4 makes driving rough roads miserable. Mine doesn't wander at low or high speeds like some have indicated, but it has about an inch of bump travel.

-Bryce
bphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #6

"typically there is only 1.5 inches or less of bump travel before the front suspension "bottoms out" and transfers the impact to the van and occupants."

True dat!

For Salem Kroger 4" lifts like mine as well.

Good On Ya Mate! Keep at it. It is truly appreciated.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #7

I'm ready to buy those shocks! Just post up a link or some part numbers.

Last week I purchased some 6000lb coils that should give me about 1.5" of lift. I hope to install them soon. Also going to push my front axle about 1.5"-2" forward. Those shocks will complete my setup!
Adventr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #8

Very interested in your kit...please tell us some details! Taller coils?
Ajamboree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #9

Bajasmb just installed that kit yesterday. Some of those pics above are of my rig. He's a good dude, has cool off road projects in his shop, and spent hours prior to sourcing/installing the kit assessing my rigs issue.

Its a 2002 Quigley EB50 and its heavy as poop.

I can comment based on my seat of the pants experience driving from San Diego (Bajasmb shop location) to my house in Orange County last night.

My old springs were slightly shorter in height and were not progressive like the new ones. The new ones might be even a lil stiffer. My old shocks were Bilsteins. Those shocks were already in the rig when I bought my rig so I couldn't tell you how many or what type of miles were on them.

Before:
Would bottom out front and rear over speed bumps, bounce up and down, or wobble (when taking dips/bumps on a turn) and take a few seconds to settle back down. Really didn't like driving my rig on washboards or service streets for that matter.

Now:
Haven't bottomed out yet and on the same sections of the streets I use to bottom out on, settles almost immediately over bump and dips.

It's like a new van. Wife (sits in the back seat with the kids) said she's done taking trips in the rig till I fix the suspension. Ill report back after our next family outing.

Looking forward to trying washboards too.

Thx bajasmb!
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #10

Garage

^^^ nice, thanks for info! how much did the setup raise your vehicle up?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote