Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #1

TIRES FOR WASHINGTON RECREATION

I have EB 350 Sportsmobile that I bought a while back from veghead.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewto ... f=7&t=4005

I have been running Toyo Open Country M/T’s 285/75 R16 tires on it. They have been great. Super tough.

We live at about 1000 feet in wet snow elevations outside Seattle. We use the van for skiing (family of four) mountain biking and towing (boat - motorcycles - race car). We often drive on sharp shale rock on dirt roads, but not so often in deep mud except maybe at a motocross track hauling a trailer.

The Toyos are worn pretty far. One is nearly at the wear marks. The other day in some wet snow going down our hill I had to put it in the ditch to get traction. Without the deep lugs those Toyos were just sleds.

I had a set of stock-size studded snow tires (like new) and I put those on some steelies and they were much better but it still does not do that great in the snow. coming to a stop in our wet wet snow, it just slides too far. Funny the snow tires are quieter though!

I am thinking that the old-skool tech snow tires, even with studs, won't work as well as siped snow tires. I attached a picture of the snow tires -- not much in the way of siping.

I want a set of tires that are 285/75 R16 or bigger that are tough enough to drive on rocks, great on snow (I want the severe snow rating), and capable of some mud. I am thinking of the Duratrac with the sever snow rating.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... r+DuraTrac

QUESTIONS:

Do you have any other recommendations?

Do you think that that Toyos would be good snow tires if they were fresh with deep lugs?

thank you in advance for your input.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
snow tires small.jpg  

pinsx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #2

Re: TIRES FOR WASHINGTON RECREATION

M/Ts are mud tire. Mud tires in general are are not good in snow and ice, with the exception of deep heavy stuff which acts kind of like mud.

I'm running Toyo M55s. They are simply amazing in snow. I have them fully siped, and even driving through the hills of Portland in the ice storm a few weeks ago, I never got the slightest amount of slip. I intentionally sought out all the steep hilly routes to avoid traffic. I have run the same tires studded in the past, but having them fully siped works just as well. They are also more resilient against rock damage than the M/Ts. They are not a mud tire however, so if you are in mud, you have to spin then a little faster to keep the treads clear. Also, they don't have the snow-flake however ODOT has never betted an eye when chains are required, and you have 4x4 so it shouldn't matter anyways. I get roughly double the miles out of the M55s compared to the Toyo A/Ts, which means about 60,000 on my rears and 90,000 on my fronts with the M55s.

Downsides: They cost a lot, they are heavy so its hard to get them to balance well, they are only rated for 87 MPH sustained, and they don't come it bigger sizes.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #3

Garage

I have a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks and they are the best snow tire I've ever tried on a van (anything else for that matter). I'm pretty sure they grip on ice as well as studs, and they do deep snow very well too.

I wouldn't use them for rocks, since the tread is soft. I change them seaonally.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #4

Garage

the blizzaks and toyo observes are both insanely good snow tires without studs. with them, they would be unstopable. i use our observes for rallyx (on a civic) and they are way more tough than i had originally thought they would be. we daily drive them and race offroad every chance we get and they are lasting quite well for teh punishment they endure.

that being said, i couldnt find e-rated versions of the observe or blizzak on either toyo or firestones sites, at least in the 285/75/16 size. not saying they dont exist, but a quick look on both sites yeilded nothing. so i guess it just depends on how heavy your vehicle is and what you feel comforatble putting on your rig.

toyos site recommended the m55's as carringb suggested. ive also heard the same exact comments about the m55's from many other people with heavy dity vehicles. the m55's seem to come highly recommended everywhere i inquire, but they are expensive indeed.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #5

Expensive but I already spent about $400 in billable hours researching this!! LOL

They look like they are the best out there. They reportedly last twice as long!
Old 02-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #6

do you think the toyo MT would have been good when new with a nice tall tread?
Old 02-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinsx3
do you think the toyo MT would have been good when new with a nice tall tread?
Not for snow and ice. Wrong rubber compound, and your actual tread contact area is much less than other tire style. That's why they are called Mud Terrains and not Snow Terrains.

BTW - This is my 2nd season on my current M55s, which means they are at less than 50% in the rears. Still have great snow traction. I generally still take curves at the speed limit on Hwy 26 and 35 on Mt Hood, when traffic allows.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:13 PM   #8
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I'm running toyo M/T's, on my second set here in CO, mixed driving and I think they are M + S rated, rare for a M/T?, they are not bad in snow when new as they have a sipe in the big lugs, once worn, pretty useless. Might try something different next round, M55's?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:43 AM   #9

I live somewhat near you. One of our search and rescue guys has the snowflake rated Duratracs and says they are great in the snow. I just bought a set for my XJ (not installed yet). They are studdable, just remember if you stud them they must be studded BEFORE you drive on them.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
I'm running toyo M/T's, on my second set here in CO, mixed driving and I think they are M + S rated, rare for a M/T?, they are not bad in snow when new as they have a sipe in the big lugs, once worn, pretty useless. Might try something different next round, M55's?
No, many off road tires have M+S rating the problem is the M+S rating means not so much.

The mountain/snowflake symbol is the important one.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote