Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #1

4x4 Sprinter for US in 2015

Looks like the Sprinter will finally be available here as a stock option from MB. The last paragraph is the one of interest. http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news ... lineup_us/

Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: 4x4 Sprinter for US in 2015

Would be interesting to see, but they said it before. Good for snowy roads, but not much more than that.

"Unlike Mercedes' more typical 4Matic system, the Sprinter 4x4 employs a part-time system engaged by the driver by pushing a button on the dashboard. A low-range is optional, with a modest gear reduction of 1.42"

Herb
Old 03-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #3

I agree Herb, doesn't look like a replacement for one of the conversions that are currently being done to the Ford and GM vans. Could be a nice option for those who are Sprinter fans though and want the extra traction in snow and lite off road situations.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH
I agree Herb, doesn't look like a replacement for one of the conversions that are currently being done to the Ford and GM vans. Could be a nice option for those who are Sprinter fans though and want the extra traction in snow and lite off road situations.
Which quite frankly is a larger market than people who take their vans way off the beaten track. Whether people want to admit that to themselves in another story. At my current point in life with my family, it could easily fit the bill for me (though I have my Bronco when I need a trail fix).

Herb
Old 03-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #5

They will be in our showrooms a year from now, first orders should go in sometime in September. Ir's really going to happen!

Dave, the Sprinter Guy

Quote:
Looks like the Sprinter will finally be available here as a stock option from MB. The last paragraph is the one of interest. http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news ... lineup_us/

the "Sprinter Guy"

Mercedes-Benz of Georgetown
Georgetown Texas, 78627

512-930-6158

dgraham@mbofgeorgetown.com
www.SprinterGuy.com
theSprinterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Which quite frankly is a larger market than people who take their vans way off the beaten track.
Frankly, they need it more just going up the ski areas. I've seen them sliding around going up Mt. Hood when few other vehicles (other than commercial trucks) were having traction problems. My guess is its a combination of a less weight on the rear end and the smallish highway-tread tires.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #7

Here is the official announcement.

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
We are excited to announce further growth to the Sprinter Van product line-up. This week at the NTEA Work Truck Show in Indianapolis we are announcing the new 4-wheel-drive factory option for the Sprinter Van, available in early 2015. The Sprinter 4x4 will be available on Crew, Passenger and certain Cargo Van configurations and offer a choice of high and low range drivetrains. Previously available only on European Sprinter models, this new option further expands the versatility and utility of the Sprinter Van.
Additional product details, pricing and ordering information will be provided closer to MY2015 launch.

I expect we will begin to order the 4 wheel drive models late summer with the first arrivals around this time next year.

More to follow....

the "Sprinter Guy"

Mercedes-Benz of Georgetown
Georgetown Texas, 78627

512-930-6158

dgraham@mbofgeorgetown.com
www.SprinterGuy.com
theSprinterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Which quite frankly is a larger market than people who take their vans way off the beaten track.
Frankly, they need it more just going up the ski areas. I've seen them sliding around going up Mt. Hood when few other vehicles (other than commercial trucks) were having traction problems. My guess is its a combination of a less weight on the rear end and the smallish highway-tread tires.
Probably had the stock Conti Van Contact A/S tires, which can lose traction rolling over a glob of snot! A RWD Sprinter with Michelin's like the LTX M/S is a whole 'nother animal.
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

More Info and Video:

http://mbworld.org/articles/mercedes-be ... hell-yeah/
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #10

Looks very nice for snow and light off-road use. Not sure how the long-wheelbase van often used for RV conversion would do off road, particularly with longer rear overhang (if it's even available in extended/longest body). Video shows as much or more ground clearance at front than back, so it might do quite well overall.

Does anyone know if it's built on a normal Sprinter assembly line, or is it first built as 2WD and then converted to 4X4? If the added cost is in the range of $10,000 it might suggest the latter. By comparison I checked Ford F-150 costs and it looks like $3,000 to $4,000 range to add 4X4 option -- depends on model.

I hope this move by Mercedes forces Ford to make the AWD Transit available in US. Competition can be a great thing.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote