Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #1

Replacement tires for 4x4 w/17" rims

First, let me say I have searched and don't mean to beat the dead horse. Unfortunately it seems most of the talk is about folks running 16 inch rims. That said, I've got an '07 with the SMB 4x4 conversion currently running BFG 315/70/17 a/t. They need replaced simple because of the concern over them being D rated. As many know this size is not available in an E rating and I'm not particularly fond of the m/t idea (toyo) mostly out of noise concerns. Are there any any other options out there in my current size that should be considered?(GY DT, Toyo OC, etc) Draw backs to a narrower tire particularly on snow and ice? As it currently is my van does remarkably well on ice and snow and I can't help but think the width of my current tires plays a big role in that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Lastly whats the largest tire the smb conversion will accommodate? Thanks!

BigRed07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #2

Re: Replacement tires for 4x4 w/17" rims

Optimally snow tires are rather more narrow than wide. Look at rally tires. So that probably won't hurt you, and may help. There are tires for winter use certified one level above M+S (the "snowflake"), but in fact they aren't available for all sizes. For example, D range BFG KO ATs come with that spec, but not the E range.

Frankly, I'm contra to the standard wisdom here about the need for Es. In the BFGs, for example, they have the same number of belts, they are just a bit thicker. And not tons more on the sidewalls. And against that you have a stiffer tire (good for some stuff, bad for others) with less tread depth and no snowflake rating. Of course if your van is pushing 12k+ you may not have a choice.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #3

I just got the Pro-Comp Extreme AT's. Haven't put any miles on them yet for a review but they are an E rated 17".

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/LT315- ... n=PCT57315
CapitalE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #4

When I tried out the Toyo M/Ts I was surprised that the noise was barely noticeable inside the van. Really only noticed when the windows were down. I traded them for M55s for other reasons, but I really couldn't complain about the noise.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #5

I trust these tires so much I'd just go down a size.. They have a LT305/65R17/E 121 R, which is only about 1/2 an inch narrower and 1 1/2 inches shorter.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalE
I just got the Pro-Comp Extreme AT's. Haven't put any miles on them yet for a review but they are an E rated 17".

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/LT315- ... n=PCT57315
I had the previous version [size] on my van 35x12.50x17 and loved the grip and solid feeling they provided. They just seemed to wear pretty fast... truth be told, I was really bad at rotating them.
I just got Toyo M/Ts and I prefer the feeling and performance of the ProComps, especially cornering. The shoulders of the ProComps are squarer, i think this adds to the feeling of better cornering and more solid steering. The steering now with the MTs seem so light and kind of squirely. The drawback to the squarer shoulders is that the inside of the tires would rub on the leaf springs during full turns. With MTs they just barely barely rub..

I use my van as a daily driver and had put about 35k miles on the ProComps. I would get them again, but I wanted to try something different. I settled for the Toyo M/Ts because I could not find a set of 5 A/Ts... so if you can find them get them... I was told they were back ordered and it was unknown when the next production run was going to be
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #7

BFG Mud and Snow KM2

E rated, lot's of sizes
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote