Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #1

4X4 overhang

I am wondering about you guys who have the mid length or the extra long 4x4 vans if you have problems hanging up on the rear. Has it been enough that you wish you went with the mid length and sacrificed interior room or not. Thanks Tim

bumpbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: 4X4 overhang

There are a bunch of posts on the subject. Overall I'd say it seems most owners with EB's are happy with their purchase and enjoy the extra space. Same with the RB people as far as liking the shorter length for off road use. There are times I wish I had an RB but I take my van where many don't (look at my web site) and rarely have issues. I've never been hung up but have left a few marks on the rocks. Aluminess bumper damage can happen especially to the trailer plug which needs to be placed elsewhere IMO. I would say you're better off with a full float axle if you have an EB but that also applies to heavily loaded rear axles on any van. Seems most people have an issue with parking a longer vehicle. I've never really had that problem but I don't live in a big town. I have more problems getting the side doors open to load supplies when in a parking lot. I usually park a far distance from the store and take up a couple of spaces. Fairly sure the PH bed is longer on an EB as well. If I were to order a new van it would be a EB again JMO

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Daveb is correct. I am an EB owner, and I have never been someplace I couldn't go. I have drug the rear end. I have an extension on the receiver as an early warning system. I have hit the rear end and have some marks on the bottom of the bumper... I think our 35in tires have helped a little.

BUT we really do enjoy the extra space of the EB.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #4

We have an EB and would do it again. I scrapped the rear bumper coming off some slick rock once in Moab...no big deal. The only "downside" is that you can't parallel park mid-block but we have always been able to find somewhere to park.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #5

It's 20" which hasn't proved to be much of a hindrance. I've had more issues with crowning the midsection (and hitting gas tank, ouch) and with turning radius. There's not much in back that's critical, and you can skid that trailer hitch. That only produces bad results when it means the rear tires lose some traction, like when coming outta a ditch that's sufficiently steep. But that's what rocks are for.

The van is such a compromise offroad as it is the extra length isn't a huge worry for me. Nor is it much of a parking issue for anyone used to a pickup truck. I'm sure there might have been some times when the 20" might have made a difference, but I've had more occasions where I needed to load up every single cubic inch inside, or carry something really long inside. If I had to do it again I'd get the EB every time.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #6

Greg

Any chance we can get a look at your receiver "early warning system"?
tallt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #7

No regrets on the EB, you get used to looking for extra space to park it.

Just a note of clarification on the turning radius, the wheelbase is the same between both body styles.

Now I used to have a 2WB EB cargo van, and that hit everywhere because it wasn't lifted. With the lift it is really a non issue for clearance.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #8

It get even more fun to park when you hang a bicycle rack off the back of an EB van (or a deluxe box, etc.). But as Anzac says, you get used to it.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
It get even more fun to park when you hang a bicycle rack off the back of an EB van (or a deluxe box, etc.). But as Anzac says, you get used to it.
I have a deluxe box AND a bicycle rack!

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #10

Never gets old.