Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #1

Quigley issue 4-Low Lever disengages going uphill

My 4wd lever when placed in the 4-Low position intermittently pops forward and puts me out of gear. I noticed this when going on a steady, fairly steep and long uphill. Did this on Cerro Gordo Rd, Keeler, CA on the way to Cerro Gordo Ghost Town for your reference.
Lever and gear popped out every mile it seemed.

However, going downhill in 4-Low it stayed in position and worked fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #2

Re: Quigley issue 4-Low Lever disengages going uphill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
My 4wd lever when placed in the 4-Low position intermittently pops forward and puts me out of gear. I noticed this when going on a steady, fairly steep and long uphill. Did this on Cerro Gordo Rd, Keeler, CA on the way to Cerro Gordo Ghost Town for your reference.

However, going downhill in 4-Low it stayed in position and worked fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Happened to me once in my old van on a steep very muddy hill. Scared the crap out of me, as it made a pretty good noise when it popped out, and we were 30 miles from nowhere.. I thought I broke the driveshaft. But I re-engaged and drove up the hill. I figured I just didn't engage it all the way. Never happened again.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #3

Garage

Quigley instructions say the van must be in neutral for low range, were you in neutral?
http://www.quigley4x4.com/LinkClick....id=110&mid=496

Others with the same issue, some suggest slamming it further back or possibly something blocking the linkage/getting in the way. Man-up!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8035

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...problems-4198/

http://smb4um.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4695&view=next

If none of those suggestions work I would recommend getting a crate motor, new transmission and transfer case.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #4

Yes. Neutral, 4low slammed back and held back while reengaging Drive and during the climb up Cerro but still 4-low pops out of gear.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #5

Garage

Take the boot off and make sure that nothing is pushing the lever out of gear. There might be a piece of rubber or carpet that is hitting the lever.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #6

Do you know what make and model transfer case you have?
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Your not going to want to hear this but Mine was doing just what you describing and it was a bad motor mount that was letting the motor torque over pulling it out of gear. I only found this out while crawling up some rock and the motor moved enough to have the fan hit the shroud.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #8

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry
Your not going to want to hear this but Mine was doing just what you describing and it was a bad motor mount that was letting the motor torque over pulling it out of gear. I only found this out while crawling up some rock and the motor moved enough to have the fan hit the shroud.
Very common.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

It's a Borg Warner unit, mine pops out as well, fairly common it seems. Have never heard that it could be a bad motor mount....think there was another thread on this subject at some point. As per instructions on the Q page, never tried the slow roll technique, putting the transmission in N while moving and engaging 4L, I've always come to a complete stop, shifted to N then gone to 4L, maybe a slow roll will help the gears mesh and lock in?? I have noticed that I sometimes am able to get an extra click when shifting to 4L that seems to hold the gear better. It really sucks when that thing pops out on a steep section of trail, never happens going down, only under torque, that would lead back to the possibility of a bad motor mount, but I'm hoping that it's just that the gears aren't fully engaged.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #10

Two things:

1) The fact that the transfer case shift linkage could be torqued by a worn motor mount and pull the transfer case out of gear is likely possible, and that is why I will only go with an electric shift on my next transfer case;

2) My 4x4 van also has the Borg Warner 1356 transfer case manual shift version. (My 1993 Bronco had, and my current 1995 Bronco has, the electric shift BW 1356 transfer case - nearly 200K on the '93 with not one issue). And it was wear on the plastic nubs on the shift forks (internal) which caused the popping out of gear on the Borg Warner 1356 transfer case manual shift in my 4x4 van. And it is probably the same reason it started popping out of gear again two years after the rebuild.

For giggles you could put your transfer case in the offending gear, disconnect the shift linkage and try your favorite hill (up and down mine jumps out of gear when heading down and letting off the gas peddle). That is, in my opinion, one way to rule out the oft offered shift knob rubber boot, worn motor mount, shift linkage type causes.

EDIT: Uh... Oscmb if you do the above test, please take a friend who you don't mind sacrificing with you along with some wheel chocks, and also chose a short hill, because if it slips out of gear and you pull over to the side of the road, you will only have your brakes to stop the vehicle from rolling and depending on the reliability of your emergency brake, it may not be enough to stop the vehicle from rolling while you are under it reconnecting the shift linkage to be able to put the vehicle back into gear.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote