Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #1

Garage
Quigley Owners

I am thinking it is about time for an alignment and tire rotation. I normally go to Firestone, but am wondering if that is the best place for the Yeti. Where do ya'll go?

TexGX

2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Quigley Owners

i dont think its as much about where you take it compared to who is doing the work. i take mine to a local big o tire store. the tech they have there is oldschool and can align a car without the fancy machines. which tells me he understands the process in general and isnt some random kid off the street trained on how to work a specific machine.

for the do it yourselfers google "string car alignments". alignments arent hard to do. hell i do mine with a tape measure most of the time (on my cars, not the van) and i always make sure and ask how close i got it when i pick my cars up. i try and get them as close as possible so they dont have my vehicles hogging up the lifts since i get heavily discounted work. more times than not, they tell me i got the alignment so close that it took them more time to get vehicle on lift than to get it aligned.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #3

Garage

Great. I just did not know with it being custom install if big companies give you grief. I will try one of my local guys.

TexGX
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #4

I pondered this for awhile after getting my Quigley and wanted to align it properly after changing wheels/tires to a different size and upgrading to the Fox Agile RIP suspension. In the end I took it to my local Farmer's Coop, who like Shenrie, has an old school guy who works on trucks and tractors and the like most of the time. I expected a call back with a "Um sir, about your van............" but 1 hour after I dropped it off, he called me and said it's done, $49.99. Come get it. I was thrilled, but I'm expecting more when it comes to ball joints etc. which I'm thinking I might be about ready for. The alignment was almost 10k hard miles ago and I have some noises now.

Keep us posted on your experience!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #5

How do the shops know what (toe, camber, and caster) specifications to meet when they adjust or check the alignment of 4x4 converted vans?
I imagine since the Quigley conversion is "Factory" Ford, that information is published somewhere. How about for other conversions like SMB or U-Joint?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #6

SMB listed the alignment specifications in the notebook they gave me when I picked up the van. I plan on taking a copy of these to the shop when I need to get mine done.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #7

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Get out a tape measure and do it yourself - toe is really the only thing they will adjust unless you need some major work because of damage or extreme wear.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #8

Garage

most cars alignments are going to be within a few degrees of zero for all settings other than caster. now this doesnt cover all cars/trucks by any means, but as far as longevity goes, zeros for camber and toe settings will help your tires last the longest.

ramsey, since you poked your head in here, what are your feelings on caster settings? my alignment guy mentioned if i could gain some caster it could possibly help with the rest of my swim issue. ccv offers adjustable replacement arms for quigleys. i wondered if it would be worth the money to either make or buy some way to gain some caster. maybe help get rid of the rest of the swim/wander my rig has.

and on that note, derek mentioned to me that the design of my quigley arms were prone to cracking and to keep an eye on them. said they had been replaced with tubular versions and were a much better design. i had planned on boxing them is at some point until i could afford a replacement, but hasnt happened yet. anyone have thier quigley control arms crack or fail in any way??
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #9

Crack...yes. I called Quigley, told them that both had cracked and they sent me replacements at a discounted rate. Straight-forward removal and replacement.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #10

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I think boxing the C-channel arms is a good and cheap solution. I used to crack/break the similar arms on my Cherokees and then I started boxing them with strap and never had a break again.

More caster will make a vehicle track better but will also make steering require more effort. 1/2 a degree more caster on one side or the other will fix a pull to that side. I personally like more caster, 6.5* to 8.5* or even more on some vehicles.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote