Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #1

Old van and newer axle, bad wheel bearing. What to do?

I have a 97 E350 with what I assume is the stock rear end. 165mm bolt pattern. The front axle is from a 2000 F350 Superduty. 170mm bolt pattern. The conversion was done by Salem Kroger.
The right front wheel bearing unit is bad and needs to be replaced. It looks like the flange on the bearing unit and the rotor have been redrilled to 165mm. I guess to match the rear and have 4 wheels with the same pattern.
Is that the only/best way to go with a new bearing unit? Will a machine shop take that job? I don't think I want to try and do that myself. I don't have a drill press or very good eyes for measuring. Is that about the only way unless I want one wheel with a mismatched bolt pattern?
Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Was supposed to head out this coming Sunday for a week long road trip.......boo.

BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #2

Re: Old van and newer axle, bad wheel bearing. What to do?

Yes, if S/K retained the E-series 8x6.5" (165.1mm) then you will need it re-drilled, also with new new non-metric studs installed most likely. Its a simple job for a machine shop, but in no way is a DIY project unless you have your mill.

I'd suggest giving these guys a jingle:
http://www.pacificautomachine.com

Or.... order a free-spin kit from http://www.dynatrac.com
Old 08-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #3

Thank you so much for the info!

I think the dynatrac is probably out of my range right now.
But I will definitely call that shop tomorrow first thing. Did you know about them or did you search in my area?!
Thanks a lot regardless!
It's a big help!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #4

I kinda picked out Pacific Auto because of the type of work they do. They look a lot like our local machine shop in Corvallis, Bob Forrest. Those shops that do both engines and ag work tend to be pretty good, and will be able to setup quickly for that kind of milling. Not all machine shops happen to have a proper rotary index at their disposal. Its possible to get it right without out, but its also more likely to by slightly off.

One big thing to watch out for....

Ford used a lot of different hubs, especially on the '99 MY axles. There's 5 or 6 different P/Ns and they are NOT all interchangeable. If you happen to have a Canadian axle, that hub is almost $500, which is double the price of the non-canadian hubs!

So... You probably won't be able to just stop and NAPA and order one on a whim. You will most likely have to bring the old one in to match it.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #5

I did actually go to NAPA. And I think I got one that is pretty close. There are a few slight differences. But mostly they look they same.

I'm going to call that shop here in a few when they open and see what they say.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #6

You could also make the investment to convert the van to 8 on 170mm. Once you do that all of the wearing parts will be over the counter.

You'd need new wheels, unit bearings & rotors of course. Plus some spacers in the rear.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #7

That is a much better long term plan. I will look into it. I do 'want' new wheels and tires anyway. And someday I'm still hoping to convert to Ujoint suspension. Guess I better start saving my pennies better.
I found a different shop to drill the hub for now. He called already and said it's done. We'll see if all the rest of it works out.
Pacific auto machine wouldn't or couldn't do the job. They referred me elsewhere right away. Thank you for the help and advice.
I appreciate it all.

Chris