Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #1

Safari rack on roof or Thule/Yakima cross bars

Me again!!!

My latest puzzle is whether to drop the extra cash for a safari cage on top of the penthouse or not. Wandering if those of you that have either or can weigh in?

My issues & thoughts are this...
We are getting a new 4x4 SMB EB50 design that will have the electric pop top which I am told the weight capacity is 200lbs. The safari roof top will weight about 100lbs, I think. I already own a Yakima coffin so my immediate thought was just to go with the crossbars and not worry about the Safari style. But then I started thinking, with an EB50, where do you store your big stuff. So if I am bringing a BBQ, chairs, table, firewood, cooler. I am not super sure how the storage works in the back of an EB50. I know there is a lot of room but I think it is all on top of the back bed portion. Not sure if I want to put those kind of heavy/dirty items on there.

Any one have thoughts, pictures, insight?

Thanks again. Planning this van out is insane. If this forum didn't exist, and I didn't have you all to bounce questions off, I would be going NUTS!!!!

purana182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #2

Re: Safari rack on roof or Thule/Yakima cross bars

I went with the Thule crossbars & am happy so far. I can attach a cargo basket if needed & do use a Thule cargo box quite a bit. I went with a large cargo box & it can hold a lot of stuff. I do sometimes wish I went with the Aluminess rack but mainly because it looks cool. Functionally I'm fine the way I am. Aluminess is here in town so I may go that route at some point if my needs change.

Pic of mine with cargo box here:

http://roberttilley.smugmug.com/Cars/Sp ... v&lb=1&s=O
Old 09-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

I had Aluminess build a standard rack using lighter smaller tubing. The pod up top is empty unless I have a rider and that equipment gets off loaded before I put the top up. Stuff that is dirty gets stored in the rear bumper box...BBQ, fuel tanks, extra water even wood if I'm not packing the propane fire pit.

Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0607.JPG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #4

^^ wow, that's a serious bumper box!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
^^ wow, that's a serious bumper box!
That's just Dave's junk-in-the-trunk.

Herb
Old 09-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Well you don't gotta build big booty!

Old 10-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #7

daveb,
How did you attache your ramps to the van?
THanks, BillPa1
BillPa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #8

I have a thule box with cross bars. holds four chairs two tables large camping mat ax shovel and many other items. always stays dry and locked up. no covers or cords to tie things down. plus it looks cool! saw allen at ralley this year and we were talking about racks. he has big safari rack and said he used it once to carry socker balls to a game. their a pain in the ass. I have car guy to clean my cars and van, I don't think he would do my van with the safari rack. good luck in your decision. c ya!
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPa1
daveb,
How did you attache your ramps to the van?
THanks, BillPa1
Standard compression clamps with a small piece flat bar and studs welded to it. Used a lockable hitch pin as one stud to keep the boards from walking away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns378
I have a thule box with cross bars. holds four chairs two tables large camping mat ax shovel and many other items. always stays dry and locked up. no covers or cords to tie things down. plus it looks cool! saw allen at ralley this year and we were talking about racks. he has big safari rack and said he used it once to carry socker balls to a game. their a pain in the ass. I have car guy to clean my cars and van, I don't think he would do my van with the safari rack. good luck in your decision. c ya!

My rack was built by Aluminess mainly for the solar panels and lighting. I went with smaller than normal tubing to keep the weight down. I agree that hauling stuff up top is a PITA. I keep a storage pod up top for when friends come along. Storage bags are OK and can hold more but you need to keep it light up there or pull it off each time you set up. As far as cleaning I had the top sprayed with rhino and just hose it off when washing. My trash bag (not the one in the picture) was made locally and is made heavy duty to hold extra stuff and still have room for trash. Then there is the bumper box

Old 10-06-2014, 10:37 PM   #10

My van came with Thule cross bars and 9 ft tracks. Mostly because I wanted solar up top I had aluminess make a full rack that mounts to the track. It takes about 30 min to remove if I need to. Not sure there is any perfect solution. Good luck.......
yada yada yada
surfdadken is offline   Reply With Quote