Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #1

Dear Ramsey: Steering Stabilizer?

Sorry, but this appears to be the best way to reach you I know you're slammed (but not too slammed to get on the forum ) and I am just being a little impatient before a trip I have coming up

Do you have any more of the Fox steering stabilizers left? If not, just wondering if you can order one for me... thanks!

Does anyone else have experience with the Fox IFP stabilizers they can share? I'm just looking to replace the very crappy (possibly original) stabilizer that's on there with the goal being to tighten up the play/swim/wander on the front end a bit. I'm not expecting a miracle but it certainly can't hurt and is a relatively small investment. I've already done Ramsey's spring/shock upgrade and am VERY happy with the results. Ramsey's got a good problem - too many people want to give him their money

sierraskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Dear Ramsey: Steering Stabilizer?

Sorry, We are moving this weekend, have to be out by tomorrow evening and our new place is not ready. It is hotter than Hell, I'm dead tired. We are renting a VRBO for the next week and working on finishing the new place to where is can be lived in - water and toilet... Not much time for anything else right now.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:34 AM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Dear Ramsey: Steering Stabilizer?

Sierraskier, if you're in a time crunch and can't wait for the fox stabilizer from Ramsey, pick up a bilstein. I had just purchased one myself right before I ordered up the RIP to replace an older unit I had put on there, steering stabilizers do not effect, one way or the other, the ride quality the way shocks do and bilstein is one of the best. I ordered mine from amazon, look at your current set up, mounts and length to determine the proper replacement. I think they also have a lengthy chart on their website. Your stabilizer may or may not be the cause of your front end wander however, it may be caused by worn tie rods, check your ball joints while you're at it. I replaced/upgraded all my front end components prior to our AK trip this summer knowing things were aging and not wanting any issues. I put in dynatrac's HD ball joints as well as their free spin hub kit, very nice stuff, we also found out my inner axle seal was toast while changing that out, good thing! or just go with spicer ball joints. Good luck!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Sierraskier, if you're in a time crunch and can't wait for the fox stabilizer from Ramsey, pick up a bilstein. I had just purchased one myself right before I ordered up the RIP to replace an older unit I had put on there, steering stabilizers do not effect, one way or the other, the ride quality the way shocks do and bilstein is one of the best. I ordered mine from amazon, look at your current set up, mounts and length to determine the proper replacement. I think they also have a lengthy chart on their website. Your stabilizer may or may not be the cause of you front end wander however, it may be caused by worn tie rods, check your ball joints while you're at it. I replaced/upgraded all my front end components prior to our AK trip this summer knowing things were aging and not wanting any issues. I put in dynatrac's HD ball joints as well as their free spin hub kit, very nice stuff, we also found out my inner axle seal was toast while changing that out, good thing! or just go with spicer ball joints. Good luck!

Great info, thanks. I'll need to research the ball joints, tie rods and this stuff a little more. How involved/invasive/expensive is doing the rest of that work that you did? I do believe that I have heard some clicking/grinding once or twice when the steering wheel was completely cranked, which I'm sure is not good. I don't know if this is to be expected with all of the modifications that have been done to that suspension, 4x4, lift, big tires, etc...but there is also a significant dead spot (maybe 5 degrees?) in the middle of the steering range where it feels like neither the left or right side is engaged. You don't always feel it but when you first do it's a little freaky because for a split second there is no engagement with the wheels, but I've just gotten used to it at this point and continue through it to the left or right until I feel re-engaged with the wheels/road.

Back to the stabilizer, it's a long story, but the RIP had really tightened everything up nicely, then about a month ago I was driving normally on the freeway when I crossed a bridge and the resulting bounce caused the track bar to shear where the bracket attaches to the frame end. Got the death wobble like the axle was going to fall off but immediately hit the brakes and pulled off. Had it towed and the track bar frame bracket welded back together and reinforced. It's possible I'm being over-sensitive and it's all in my head, but since that event I feel like I have a little more swim/wander again. After talking to Ramsey and a couple other folks the feeling is I might have blown the stabilizer shock when the track bar popped. Even if I didn't the thing is ancient, possibly the original, and couldn't hurt to replace it, it's relatively simple and inexpensive. I'm not necessarily opposed to overhauling the entire front end if it's needed, it's more the time, effort and coordination than the cost.

EDIT: Also, since I've been so happy with the RIP I wanted to stay with the Fox IFP if possible. Ramsey mentioned he would have to customize the IFP mount for my mount setup. I think he said he actually buys a version of the IFP that is for a different application/vehicle and then customizes for the vans. Here's a pic of my current stabilizer and mount

sierraskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #5

Just a suggestion. See Turbostew's recommendation on this page:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4399&hilit=quad+van+death+wob ble&start=45

Rough Country dual with Bilstein dual opposing gas pressurized shocks worked really well for me. (But I also did some significant rewelding for my application.)

Warning: Although you can use a single stabilizer. You can not use a single gas pressurized shock.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

The clicking/grinding you hear is most likely from worn front axle ujoints, outer axle shafts or ball joints or a combination.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote